Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:10PM Deadalon said

Belive it or not.. this is actually an awsome concept in a RPG game.

Many WOW players would love to have their own house for their characters (1 in each room) and they can see each other and even interact with them abit.

And what would be more enjoyable than to allow you to grow your own garden - and then expand to it - raise Livestock or farm flowers. It would give the game so much more.

But hey... Blizzard is lazy these days... Busy recycling ZG and ZA.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:17PM rhorle said

@Deadalon

Sitting in an instanced house or an instanced plot of land is just oh so cool. Who gets to see it? Your friends? Sounds cool, but not worth the time. Just have your friends meet you at the already unused parts of the game and sit around and /say.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:47PM Deadalon said

@rhorle

The point would not be who would see it. Alot of ppl have alts in the game so this would give ppl chance to have a house for their (same faction) characters. Not talking lvl 1 banking characters... but a proper lvling ones.

It would for example store heirloom items and every class would get special items to put in their room (house). And ofc - garden and stuff you could grow and expand on - even farm - have a pond with fishes and name it.

I think alot of alt players would love this sort of stuff - even when its instanced.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:50PM VisualGloss said

@rhorle You have completely missed the point... It's gameplay and expands the things you can do in the game. It has nothing to do with who can see it or sitting with friends in /say.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 11:04PM Tizmah said

@rhorle I'm with you Rhorle. I want my house in the land itself and people can swing by and know, "Hey that's So and So's house. He's got cool stuff in it."

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 12:34AM rhorle said

@VisualGloss

What gameplay would it add to a game like WoW? Not every game would benefit to having housing or farms added. Anything you grow at your farm would have to be fluff or so restricted it wouldn't be very "fun" to grow it.

Could you grow herbs, without having the herbalism skill? Is that fair to herbalists? How long would it take to grow specific herbs? Can't be faster then normal spawn rates and rarity because those herbs are already balanced to a specific supply.

So its just for "fluff" items? Okay that's fine. But what makes that different from say archaeology that gets you out in the world? Its not like people are restricted from talking. It just wouldn't work for wow. For a game like free realms perhaps.

But even then an instance for each player is pretty limiting. I'd rather it be a universal farm like the fishing areas in free realms where I can actually see other people in the game doing the same stuff. The game feels more social and alive that way.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 9:33AM Deadalon said

@rhorle

It would add alot of gameplay to WOW. It would give diffrent sort of gameplay also. And it could use alot of the Resources already in the game.

In terms of picking flowers.. You would need seeds and herbalism could sell you those seeds in AH. Just an idea. Have cows or chicken - and a random pet or 2 roaming around your house and random mount or 2 (preferably not drakes) walkng around outside.

This world beeing instances or not does not really matter. You could have 100 farms in every instance if you wanted and create a comunity around it. THe thing is... this is a game where new ppl start playing and other quits. So doing thins in world makes it very tricky. Every server has like 5000 subs minimum so it would be a total nightmare to put it into Azeroth.

Im not saying it should be done. Im just saying it could make add alot of good gameplay to the game for those that are tired of playing heros for 6 years. It might not be for everyone - Not all use their housing in MMOs but those that like it do it. You are just not one of those that like it but that does not mean your opinion is superior to anyones else. Even tho it obviously is all about you in your mind.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 11:48AM Elikal said

@Deadalon I agree. Free Realms had a lot of non combat things I would have loved to see on regular MMOs, this included.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:32PM Pingles said

Housing in Dark Age of Camelot was like this. And with limited landspace the real estate market was pretty fun when the game was popular.

And yes, people spent quite a bit of time and money trying to impress their neighbors.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:33PM Yarr said

"....clickable cows not included."

Actually, clickable cows are in Free Realms, in the form of cow tipping. :)

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 10:49PM BIGGIN said

@Yarr
I love doing that in Free Realms. The accompanying animation and sound effect cracks me up. I also have the trophy to prove it!
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy_info/26101 (#24)

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:38PM Dblade said

Amazing how much influence Harvest Moon has had with games, isn't it?

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 11:18PM cowboyhugbees said

@Dblade SERIOUSLY. I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to emulate Harvest Moon in MMOs.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 5:35PM Sam not Spam said

@Dblade
I totally agree. The first and last Harvest Moon game I played was on the GBA, and it was relaxing. Completely and totally relaxing! Very odd for a game to be like that. I started playing one day and only stopped when the battery died!

I'll never touch another one again as a result! :p

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 10:46PM Dunraven said

What amazes me about SOE is they have a license to print money with FreeRealms and they will not expand it to their other games...my god I can't think of how much cash they would have made would be making if DCUO had followed that Business model...but to be fair, I heard WB interactive was the hold up there.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 1:09AM Averice said

Ohhh... Harvest Moooon, why have you cursed me to enjoy this type of game?

Actually wait a second... I played Simfarm first.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 5:35AM Gaugamela said

Free Realms is more sandbox than many other games.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 5:05AM Boojum said

Mmmm... farming, this is what has me hooked on Haven and Hearth.

Although in this instance I think perhaps Free Realms want a piece of that Farmville pie.

How long before we have a full blown dedicated Farming MMO, I mean there is a Fishing MMO on the way after all.

Pity harvest Moon Online got canceled some years back.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 7:34AM (Unverified) said

I still say the problem with these instanced farms and homes is the simple fact that it takes players out of the world. I don't care how cool the concept is and how well executed, you're still killing the life of the game world by having every single player sitting around in their house or what have you and unaccessible to the public. That's why I think WoW has been smart enough -not- to offer player housing. Unless a game can build a community out of housing with homes in an actual interactive neighborhood then it's just going to make the game seem empty and dead.

It may not seem like it, but our MMO experience is driven by other players and even NPCs in the environment. The first thing you really notice is how bustling the world is... it may not be fair, but player population is a pretty good indicator of a game's success. I am not sure if it has changed by now since I played it in very early beta, but Gods and Heroes is a good example of this not working. It's actually a pretty decent game, I could have seen myself playing it... then I got to the first major town and it was deserted. Hardly any NPCs and no other players. It was expansive and impressive and even somewhat historically accurate, but it was dead and empty and it turned me off. I pretty much stopped playing after that.

Instanced player housing where each player has their own instance will make a lot of games feel like this. NPCs -can- fill out the cities and make them seem active, but after a while even they will just feel like another prop in the background if you never see another player around. I know people want their own little cool place to decorate and compete with the Jones' next door, but I really think it does MMOs more harm than good. After a while the cool factor will wear off when you realize nobody can really see what you've done, and then there'll just be bored players sitting in instanced areas while the world outside stagnates.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 8:06AM The Ogre said

@(Unverified)

"That's why I think WoW has been smart enough -not- to offer player housing. Unless a game can build a community out of housing with homes in an actual interactive neighborhood then it's just going to make the game seem empty and dead."

Well, given that once you leave the starting zones and Orgrimmar & Stormwind, most of WoW seems empty and dead already (or maybe it's just Exodar, which was thriving back before WotLK), I can't see that instanced player housing would make things any worse.