Posted: Apr 11th 2011 4:57AM Boojum said

This is one of those games that has (had?) potential but was (for me at least) seemingly more enjoyable in beta. They have the packaging right but the delivery needs work.

I gave it my last try this weekend transitioning from phase 2 to phase 3 but mindlessly bashing one world boss after another for a handful of currency alongside people shouting 'For the 0chan! instead of For the Horde! sent me scampering back to Orgrimmar.

When It's more fun turning myself into a tiny skeleton with Noggenfogger's and spending my time dancing in a campfire built on top of the postbox outside the Auction House then you know I need a rethink.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 8:08AM Rialle said

@Boojum

If it is honestly more fun putzing around in town in WoW than actually doing stuff in any other game, then you've been drinking the Blizzard cool aid too long.

The primary reason I'm bored to hell in WoW most of the time is that the massive player base are all either in instances or screwing around in town and trolling trade. Even if the event in RIFT is a bit shallow, it is a whole lot more than what is going on in WoW right now. Which is nothing.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 6:05AM (Unverified) said

I'll say this, after reading the CNN interview where Scott Hartman said his new server tech is designed to prevent exactly what happened on Saturday, I think they have some egg on their faces.

I love the game, play every night, the event has been fun, the rewards, including the new ones after this weekend are nice, but no doubt players around the world had a right to be annoyed at the failure on Saturday.

Combine the angry crowds with the technology that failed in the light of CNN world coverage, it just must have sucked to be Scott on Monday.

Keep the heads up guys... everyone I know has cooled down and is Ready for the next try... to quote an old saying, "Failure is not an option", so get it right, or don't try it til it is.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 6:13AM Snichy said

I'm fortunate in that I couldn't make the first event so glad it was delayed, but if I had taken time out especially for it and had it delayed on me, I wouldn't not have been happy. However ih happens and hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

In general I am happy with the game however am regretting seeing the population dwindle after the free month exodus but still have enough people to group with as and when needed, and love the game myself. I really think that Rift is a game that is fantastic if it catches people in the right time and place (i.e. people like who played and enjoyed WoW for years until boredom/burnout a year or two ago and now looking to get back into the genre) but it would be very disappointing to other people who are maybe just coming from WoW or are bored with the genre completely. due to the similarities.

Because its new, the game appears to be the new STO - every post about it on Massively attracts the haters who simply cannot let an article go without embarrassing themselves by posting a complaint. Cant wait for things to settle down and they move onto something else (its already starting with TOR) and those of us who do like it can get on with it without having to read the rantings of attention-seeking fools.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:06AM Rialle said

@Snichy

I concur, TOR is probably going to make this look like nothing.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 7:09AM BGExorcist said

Well the Event itself is a simple tank and spank overgrown overused models that go for bosses. After 40 minutes of mindless spanking, the loot was 10 event stones, which is equivalent of 5 random invasions met on the road. Not gona repeat that on the 16th for sure. The game was unplayable for alo ot players, for some reason, I will admit for me there were no latency issues, everything was smooth ( well fps

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 7:13AM BGExorcist said

@BGExorcist
Whats this bug of my text being cut ? oO

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:01AM Gaugamela said

@BGExorcist

Unforgivable bug!!1!!!1

You should just stop posting in Massively and cancel your account.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 8:57AM Boojum said

Truth for sure, I think I may just be burnt-out on Themepark MMOs.

I'm getting more enjoyment from Haven and Hearth and Illyriad than from than I've had from from my toons in AoC/WoW/Rift/Lotro etc. in a very long time.

Maybe I just need a break, hope I don't end up feeling this way about SW:TOR three months in, that would really suck.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:29AM Rialle said

@Boojum

Unfortunately, TOR looks like it's going to be as much of a theme park as WoW... if not more so. I may be wrong, but it looks like it is going to be the polar opposite of pre-NGE SWG.

My big problem with MMOs right now is that there do not seem to be any developers out there who are honestly trying to make a game that attempts to integrate the best of both game types.

You either get a full theme park with boring crafting and highly instanced content (esp. at the level cap), but is easy to get into and learn and fairly casual friendly...

OR you get a full sandbox that is ultimately casual-unfriendly, and very difficult to get into because players are given no sense of direction or purpose whatsoever.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 8:08AM Naru now in 3D said

@Puremallace What was the "technical difficulty" exactly? How would it get vicious?

Now I'm curious.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 9:01AM Gaugamela said

@Naru now in 3D

It would get vicious because there would be a massive uproar in the forums, the usual whiners would roar that Trion is full of fail and ragequit since most MMO players these days seem to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown and ragequit over the slightly littlest mistake.

Except if it is Blizzard doing it. Because it is ok for Blizzard to have a themepark game and commit mistakes, and neglect the needs of many of its players but not any other MMO dev.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 1:06PM deluxe2000 said

Really there's just that 'thing' that makes it harder and harder to log off at nite. Hours slip by. You might be able to list what it has as far as gameplay and not be blown away, but somehow it all adds up to something more in the actual playing.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 1:39PM winterborn said

Heh, Puremallace have you been banned here for being a rabid fanboy yet as well ?

Honestly the game is not that good and has some major issues so please stop the fake hype. If you like it great but to bash others for pointing out the obvious issues is getting old.

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 7:28PM Gloon said

Rift is perfect for someone like me. I like the sandbox-style MMOs and Rift is the best one yet, imo. After I quit WoW, I got married, bought a house, etc. and now I have maybe an hour to play per night, if that. Yet, in that time, I've still managed to reach level 43, become a master craftsman, and run nearly every instance available. It's important to me to not feel inhibited by my lack of available playtime; I want to feel like I'm experiencing everything the game has to offer. I'm really digging everything about Rift: the rifts/invasions are fresh and cool, the art direction is fantastic, the class system is flexible and fun. I'd all but given up on MMOs, but Rift has restored my faith in the genre.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 11:52AM (Unverified) said

Muah-ha-ha-ha! This is hilarious that Rift is having "issues" now that they were purchased by Blizzard! Blizz is putting the Kabosh on Rift to not lose subs! lololololol!

WoW Archivist: Epics