Posted: Apr 7th 2011 5:36PM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
Good read...I actually enjoyed that. I know Trion gets the fact that RIFT needs a lot more soul than it has, and that I think is why so many people have left, I just don't understand how they can integrate that soul after the fact.

Sure these lore tidbits are great...but they do very little to bring any give a damn to the uninspired content when you’re playing. But I have to hand it to Trion for recognizing the issue and trying to fix it.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 6:04PM (Unverified) said

On peak hours both the us & eu servers have medium to high population.

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 7:06AM InventionExchange said

@Drunken Irish Sniper ..and what game are you such a fanboy of that you feel the need to trash Rift?

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 6:57PM winterborn said

• Half a heart
I personaly dont care about lore, hell I dont even bother reading the quest text other than for what I need to kill/do. If it were at all interesting or funny or god forbid it mattered to my character then I may bother with it.

Dunraven is right that the game needs much more than some lore to keep people playing.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 6:59PM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
Wow...so unless I gush over Trion I'm a hater? This is why I say love games but never classify me as that freakish cult known as gamers.

Anyway my statement was sincere I think Trion is trying to fix a big part of what's wrong with their game and I hope it succeeds

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 8:08PM Gaugamela said

The game actually has soul and lots of nifty little details that a lot of haters seem to overlook.
It's cool to hate Rift because it is being succesful and some people are butthurt that i's a theme-park MMO that accomplished this instead of a sandbox MMO.

The game is very solid and has a healthy population. Will it reach WoW numbers? Ofcourse not. But I can see this game as being like LotRO or a bit bigger before it went f2p. With a solid base of subscribers and steady content updates holding strong for a big number of years.

I am just counting the months now. When it passes the 3 months mark I am gonna rub that in the face of some people that call it a 3-monther.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 8:13PM (Unverified) said

I honestly don't understand how you can play an MMO without wanting to understand the lore, and not even reading the quest text? Do you go to movies and just watch the chase scenes and ignore the plot there too? Of course you don't enjoy Rift as much as you could if you're just following markers on a map and doing what your quest bar tells you to. I can't see how any game would be enjoyable that way. You may as well just be performing data entry.

Rift has some of the most solid Lore out there next to World of Warcraft and that's pretty impressive for a game that has been released all of a month. WoW has had over thirty years to craft their lore and it is pretty amazing, what Rift has done so far has impressed me quite a bit and I love to see that they're continually adding to it. I think that's an advantage games like Rift and WoW have over something like Lord of the Rings and all those superhero games... it's their lore to do with as they please. It's not one company kept within the bounds of someone else's intellectual property.

So I say keep the lore coming. And I also say Rift has plenty of soul to compete with the big boys out there. I know there's a whole to each their own in terms of how we play, but I am at a loss when I see comments like that. Rift has so much going for it in its first few weeks of inception that I'm pretty excited for the future of Telara. I'm not without my complaints, but right now lore and attention to detail to make the environment really come alive and offer the most compelling MMO experience since Vanilla WoW are not one of them.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 9:43PM Tizmah said

@(Unverified) Wait...What? Lord of the Rings? LOTR's lore has been in the making much longer than RIFT and WoW. Much better written I might add. It's all through text too. And it's presented the same way, through text. Cept LOTR was done years in advance.

Fact is, we shouldn't be getting lore through text, but rather animation and happenings within the game. It's what that monitor is for to display motion rather than in your head.

That's just my thoughts on it. It's all about presentation and we are tired of Quest Logs. I don't want to read books. I came to see a story told in motion and my actions in the game having an affect on it. MMOs need to get with that. Thankfully GW2 and SWTOR are bringing it. To bad FFXIV was lackluster, it could have have good stuff as well.

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 10:18AM (Unverified) said

@Tizmah
Final Fantasy 11 uses cutscenes to deliver the lore through missions. Maybe something like that would have been better than doing it through just quest logs.

Posted: Apr 9th 2011 2:33PM Valdamar said

@(Unverified)
I love lore, but I don't read most of the quest text in RIFT anymore (since open beta - I did read it in beta cos I wanted to feedback any text errors) because in 99% of cases the quest text in RIFT is short, drab, poorly written and has very little to do with lore.

The game has a wonderful background in lore, but you really have to search really hard to find it being utilised well in-game - reading books is one way, reading the website and wiki is a better way - the lore is actually really poorly presented in the game itself, especially in quests - it's really only the quests marked "story" that tend to be worth reading at all.

As much as I disliked the voice work in Guild Wars, their linear story missions were a much better way of presenting the lore and story of the world than anything RIFT has. Hopefully SWTOR's dialogue and story missions will do a good job as well, though I'm hoping the game won't be as linear as I fear it's going to be - and hopefully GW2 will go one better, by making the gameplay less linear but still manage to convey lore and story in a dynamic way.

Imho in-game scripted events (and/or cut-scenes) with voice-work are a better way to convey lore than quest text - parcel the lore out in bite-size chunks, rather than dumping it on us in huge windows of text (or not even bothering to do any of that in RIFT's case) - games really should follow in the footsteps of good movies and "show, don't tell!".

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 10:47PM (Unverified) said

There's tons of things happening in the game, you just have to stop long enough to see them. I know in the Defiant area alone I missed a ton of things my first time through, and I was actually trying to watch for them. The fact is... you get a lot more from text than you can get from animation and happenings in the game. History cannot happen for you, it has to be read, and to understand there here and now you need to know how we got there. That's not saying there is none, because there is a lot of it, but again you have to want to see it.

And what I meant by LOTR, of course there's huge lore there, the original books were pretty much the hallmark for Fantasy. But the -game- isn't. The game is stuck within the world of those books. Turbine is stuck creating their game within the bounds of someone else's world, someone else's intellectual property. They can not suddenly decide one day, like Blizzard did, to destroy Middle Earth. They do not have the right to do that, and because of that their ability to really craft lore is hindered. The same applies for any game working with big names like there whether it be comic books or Star Wars. Do you really think Lucas is going to give Bioware the freedom Trion has with Telara or Blizzard has with Azeroth?

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 3:50AM meanieme said

*Yawn*
Rift is sooo March..

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 4:00AM Naru now in 3D said

The Guardians are the real "evil" faction!!! D:

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 5:24AM BGExorcist said

@Naru now in 3D
Didnt they cause all the rifts opening in the first place?

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 5:30AM BGExorcist said

Ascended, you are our only hope!, next
Ascended!! Our only hope is non other than you!, next please
About freaking time asecnded, dont you know you are our only hope?, next
Ascended, take the red pill.. ops, I mean, you are the hero man, go kill boars!, next

and so on.. so they lost me at being the great hero among other thousands of chosen saviours.

And the defiant story.. never mess with time travel and such, its almost never logical. So if they have time travel and pulse cannons, why dont we just lauch an ION storm on greenscale and be done with him ? Check the screenshot of the day a few threads back.

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 5:21PM Rialle said

@BGExorcist

This is the primary problem with all theme park MMOs.

1. Kill X of "Whatever" is standard fare in just about every game that has quests because they need filler, and sometimes is "Whatever" is something fairly mundane.

2. Every "hero" has a non-unique experience and feels the same. No matter how super awesome everyone you've grinded rep with says you are, Jimbob over there has the same mounts, achievements, and titles as you do.

RIFT, WoW, LOTRO, etc. all have the same overall issues. I suspect that TOR will have the same problems. Fixing these issues, however, is non-trivial.

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 4:49PM watchawatch said

because those weapons were placed there before the fall of the eth and technology is basically forbidden and destroyed by one faction and coveted and searched for by the other? And a giant green dragon probably won't stick around and wait ten years for you to get that cannon off the mountain and deep into his lair?

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM