Posted: Apr 7th 2011 10:21AM Dunraven said

• Half a heart
This will be a welcome addition considering how dead the AoC community is, however they should have made these scalable and give the option of solo up to small groups of three.

Nice swing but as with most things FC does a miss.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 10:57AM Nyan said

Dunraven, don't spread nonsense. The game is quite alive and Funcom is still doing a good, yet slow job of supporting it. There are plenty of other "top" titles which are in much worse shape player and content wise.

As for the instance - it's enjoyable and a good beginning of the promised content updates.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 11:00AM (Unverified) said

I dont understand people claiming the dead AoC community.

I am on Crom (eu) and that server is busy at least. Groups forming and running all day long. Loads of guilds, so many in fact, that everyone can find one that suits their playstyle.

If you chose to play on a server that has a low population, or in general have a negative approach to the community, then you might perhaps have a different view then the one I have.

Also, glass half empty anyone?
Nice swing but as with most things FC does a miss.... I couldnt disagree more.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 11:26AM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
Look guys it wasn't my intent to cheese of AoC fans, but lest face facts last moth while I was on Wicanna the only activity I saw was the 4chan trolling in global, finding groups to do anything was next to impossible...maybe the EU servers are different but after spending hours last moth trying to find a group or guild I had no choice but to pronounce the game dead.

Has something drastically changed from then to now?

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 11:42AM Dril said

@Dunraven

Let's use your logic:

*I log into an ultra-low pop WoW realm (yes, they exist.)

I see very few people online.

Thus, WoW is dead and all its servers are empty.*

Oh, wait. You could have, mayhaps, tried a different server? The game isn't doing great I'll grant you (I'd guess no more than 30k subs at the very best across both Europe and the US) but the team working on it still treat it as a living game, and add content accordingly.

Hell, I wasn't sold on TSW until I saw just how much FC have done with AoC...now I can't wait.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 11:54AM Mhaer said

@Dril

The example he used it the highest pop NA server so your logic doesn't really hold. If Europe is doing better that doesn't really matter all that much to NA players.

I hope the population improves, but people saying it is doing fine are being really optimistic.

I would be interested to see if the new solo instance is actually a decent challenge for all the different levels of geared people and classes. I would imagine it would be pretty hard to balance in that way.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 12:18PM Lateris said

@Dunraven Yep- there are a lot of transfesr to Wicanna, returning players, and new players. I am not saying it is like launch for population. Even my guild has to pull from PUGS for raids which takes 5-15 minutes depending on the night. But over all the game has come a long way. The engine update took longer then expected but here we are as promised with new content and coming faction changes for the grind.

Lateris\Oabi- wicanna

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:14PM Seffrid said

Just because no-one wants to group with you doesn't mean the server (or the game) is dead... ;)!

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:18PM Jef Reahard said

@Seffrid

I agree that "dead" is a bit of stretch, but in Dunraven's defense, it is challenging to get groups on Wiccana for pre-80 content. AoC's leveling curve is pretty quick, and imo the population is quite top-heavy on Wiccana, Cimmeria, and Tyranny.

I can't speak to any of the EU shards.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:30PM thedoommarine said

I switched from Tryanny to Wicanna and I can tell you the game is far from dead. Tryanny has about 45 people playing on it average at given moment. While Wicanna has hundreds more on at any time.

The only reason people think that the game is dead is because it has a smaller population than WoW, because it's an M rated game, and people heard that it is the buggiest thing on the market even though it isn't any more.

I believe it's the WoW players who are jealous of the game and are making fun of it to keep it down because they don't want to switch over and learn a new game.

AoC beats WoW in dozens of ways, and the WoW players don't want to admit it.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:32PM Exz1stence said

wow stuff like this makes me really want to play that game again. I only got level 50 before the racist ran me out of town on the pvp server with my bear shaman but still ugh. I may have re roll on pve and hope for less racist rampages cause I loved that game. Just hated the people waaaay too much.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:41PM Seffrid said

In most games that have been out a couple of years or more, there will always be an imbalance of population towards the higher levels. One of the most extraordinary aspects of WoW's success is that the starter zones are scarcely less crowded than when the game launched, and that has also been the case in my experience with EQ2 Extended (but not Live) and EQ Progression (but not Live), as well as to a degree LoTRO.

Generally speaking in the older games, however, the population levels below the cap are no indication whatsoever of the strength of the game.

Plus it's also difficult to assess the strength of a game on the ease with which you can get a group given that these days far fewer people feel the desire to group all the time and even fewer feel the need to do so. If you want to group, join a decent guild. It will make life so much easier than hanging around hoping that someone else will form a group for you.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:47PM (Unverified) said

Tortage (the starting area) felt crowded when I was doing the first 20 levels over again two weeks ago. I remember cursing at people for stealing my mobs :)
The first 20 levels are free. Noone should dare not to try those.

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 3:18AM Lateris said

Ughh my sin kept dying at the end-this was a fun instance!

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays