Posted: Apr 7th 2011 3:23PM Shirogetsune said

"Or we can look at it as one massive grind: a non-stop punch-fest through literally thousands of enemies. Why on Earth would someone want to do that? Why would a player want to grind through levels and levels of dungeons and monsters only to continue to do it again? For the life of me I cannot remember the main storyline of Divine Souls -- and should I care? After all, if I have the ability to click accept on a quest without ever having read the quest text and still be able to finish said quest just by killing more bad guys, then why should I care why I am doing it?"

The honest answer I can give is also the obvious: Because the gameplay is fun. I can't comment on Divine Soul's gameplay because I havn't played it, but I can compare it to a console franchise that many Western reviewers also beg the above question. That franchise would be Techmo Koei's Warriors (Dynasty, Samurai, Gundam, Fist of the North Star, Troy) franchise.

I play these games and buy them year after year because to me, the core gameplay is fun. If you're questioning why to keep playing something like Vindictus or Divine Souls, then to me, that says either the gameplay isn't your type of thing or it's execution is flawed.

Despite that, thanks to this article, I'll try Divine Souls. I have some reservations (I don't care for this trend toward games no longer being a RPG and instead, playing more like a MOBA where your character and you have no connection, but you still grind level him/her up) but I'm hoping perhaps the gameplay will be it's saving grace.

As always, thanks for these articles, Beau.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 3:27PM Slayblaze said

I looked hard at Divine Souls for a while and came to the same conclusions and decided to give it a pass over a couple other action mmorpgs I already play - one of them being Vindictus. The comparisons are apt. DS just can't compete with the gorgeous Half-Life2 Source Engine graphics and physics of Vindictus enough to even give it a shot, although I was tempted.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 4:49PM (Unverified) said

Very good article, I like brutal honesty, that's rare.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 5:12PM Naru now in 3D said

But does this one have more free character creation customization than Vindictus?

In Vindictus you're either playing as slight variations on two different girls, or one boy. So everyone pretty much looks the same. I thought that was one of the most "meh" things about Vindictus

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 5:13PM DevilSei said

@Naru now in 3D

If I'm remembering right, its typical F2P customization so you only have a few sets of faces and hair styles. I'd have to double-check though.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 5:23PM Beau Hindman said

@Naru now in 3D In the shop it has a lot more customization, but it costs. You do get loot and stuff, as well, but other than that I am not aware of more.

Beau

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 5:12PM DevilSei said

When I was playing through the beta, it felt like one massive grind. Quests are gated by level, of course, but the pacing of leveling is that you'll finish the quests before you're really even halfway to the next level, which means you'll have to grind to the next one.

And nope, environment plays no part in combat, no interactivity, nothing. Its biggest strength though, like you said, is that it actually runs well, unlike Vindictus, which can manage to run fine one mission, then have you warping about and dying because your character suddenly decided the latter was magnetically charged the same as him.

One thing I had a gripe through the beta, was no incentive to party up. I played through every single zone I unlocked from normal up to max difficulty solo, and all that really changed was number of enemies. It was fun, but not enough to carry me through all the grind I had to do just to hit the next level to get more quests to grind through.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 6:03PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like PSO, I love. PSO. And monster hunter mind you, but ill download this tonight, and use a 360 pad

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 7:53AM Ariolander said

@(Unverified) Out of the box gamepad support was one of my favorite and least published features in Vindictus.

Tell me if DS has the same features. I'd rather not have to use stopgap measures like xpadder if I don't have to =/

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM