Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:19PM (Unverified) said

I REALLY wish I'd waited for a free trial. On the advice of a friend I got the game and was pretty happy with it at first. Then I realized, aside from the very busy busy hot Rift closing and Invasion halting action going on, it was WoW. This realization hit me when I did my second run through the first level 20 dungeon/instance. It's the same old story, you get a party of the standard triumvirate (dps, heal, tank) and crunch your way through a series of mobs that don't do anything different no matter what they face.
There's a really old game out there, you might have heard of it, City of Heroes? I don't play any more, but one of the strengths of that game was I could tailor my opponents by setting a difficulty level and by the number of people in my party. So if I want to duo or solo my way through a lot of the game I can.
Another problem with Rift is the lack of any REAL variety. Sure there are a couple dozens souls and thus a helluva lot of combinations, but only a very few of those combos will a) get you anywhere, or b) prevent you from being laughed out of any Instance party you try to join.
All this to say, I retracted my overly optimistic 3-month sub, and haven't logged in since week 3 of my initial 30 days.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:18AM Laurs said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

Can i get your account? :P

Nah, but really, I actually wanted to play, was ready to pay for 1 month subscription and everything, but aparently i can't if i dont buy the actual box (or digital download) first. The point of which i don't see, as the game is already on my HDD, and i can log in and play (within the trial restraints).

So eff that really, if they dont want my 13 euros, with the possibility of getting me hooked, and they insist i pay 50 up front, then they'll get nothing. Good bussiness Trion!

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 4:15AM Gaugamela said

@(Unverified)

You had all the beta phases to arrive to that conclusion, the multiple statements from the devs saying they planned to make a traditional fantasy MMO) a theme park MMO and you only arrived to that conclusion after buying it??

The problem isn´t with game.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 5:32AM Snichy said

@Laurs. How dare Trion not give you something for nothing. Shame on them!

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 6:38AM pid said

@(Unverified) Same here. I was in closed beta and enjoyed the limited time tries. After release, when you could play non-stop, it suddenly dropped in interest. At day 20 of the first (NON-)free month I didn't bother anymore to play it. I canceled the 3 month sub and feel very comfortable now.

I can even tell you more. It's 4 days I play wurm online and today I will buy a month of premium time. I have a plan laid out on what and how I want to grow, alà Sex Pistols' "I do it my way", and have a lot of fun craft-grinding and not knowing all ins and outs. I'm aware I don't know 10% of the game yet, and there will be many surprises...

With RIFT it got stale very quickly. Too linear character development, no real impact on the world... I'm totally tired now of theme park MMOs.

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 9:58AM Malagarr said

@(Unverified)

So let me see if I understand this...

You're disappointed that Rift is a fantasy MMO?

For anyone considering playing Rift, please note that Rift is, at its core, a traditional fantasy MMO. It always amazes me when I hear people say things like, "it's just a WoW clone", like that is some sort of bash on Rift.

WoW was a fantasy MMO at its core when it launched as well. It took the best of what the previous generation of MMOs had to offer, put them all into a single package, and added a twist to it. In that regard, one could say Rift is, indeed, a WoW clone. Rift took the best of what the previous generation of MMOs had to offer (including WoW, CoH, WAR, EQ2, LOTRO, DDO, etc...), put it all into a single package and added a twist to it. The result is, arguably, the best fantasy MMO we've seen since WoW first launched in 2004.

But it is still a fantasy MMO. So if you're tired of the fantasy settings, Rift isn't for you. Of course, if you're tired of MMOs, this website isn't even for you.

Lastly, regarding specific criticisms of Rift, there are a lot more combinations of souls that work well together than you seem to think there are. And I've never seen anyone "laughed out of a group" for their soul combination. Sure, it's feasible that someone could severely gimp themselves by creating a build from souls that really don't complement one another, but given that there are 8 PvE souls per class and you can use 3 souls in a single build, there are still well more than a dozen potentially viable soul builds for each of the four classes.

Oh, and I for one am quite thankful that we can't set instances for solo/duo difficulty! You can easily level to 50 solo in this game if you want to. Instances, however, should be about encouraging grouping whenever possible. If they want to add some solo only dungeons later, that's fine. But you should never be able to see all of the content in an MMO by playing through solo! MMOs are social games, and while I don't want people punished for not having the time to group, I do still want people to try to group when possible. Take that away and you might as well go play a single player console game.

Just my two copper. =)

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 10:56AM Alboreo said

@Malagarr Are you a wizard?

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 1:17PM (Unverified) said

@Gaugamela -- Yeah, I posted my regrets, I didn't say I was tricked by Trion or anything.

@Malagarr -- I don't have a problem with "traditional fantasy". I didn't say "i don't like to play a wizard"; the gist was that the game follows the same tired formulas at its core and in its mechanics. I give Trion props for the story, the novelty of the Rifts and Invasions, the attempt at a unique "soul" system and switchable roles. I have no hate for the game, but these just weren't enough to save it from been-there-done-that on the gameplay level for me.

And @ANYONE who can tell me how to get rid of the "unverified" moniker, a cookie! Do i need to get a note from my mom?

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 2:03PM Malagarr said

@Alboreo

No, I'm a god. =D

Posted: Apr 7th 2011 2:06PM Malagarr said

@(Unverified)

Fair enough. But in that case, I take it that it is safe to assume your criticism extends to all MMOs in general?

Posted: Apr 11th 2011 10:31AM Colin said

@(Unverified)

Go to the main Joystiq site and long out and back in. Easy as that.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:26PM PrimeSynergy said

Tried it (again, even though I played in like every beta lol) this past weekend and turns out this game is just not for me. Great game and all, but not enough there to warrant any money from me. It is cool that they're doing this though, but it makes me wonder why they just won't offer a free trial or something.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:41PM (Unverified) said

@PrimeSynergy
/agree 100%

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:44PM XD00175 said

Will this mean I can play with my account from last weekend? Or will I need to start over?

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:53PM yeppers said

Hm... I wonder how many people have stopped playing since the free month ended.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 10:01PM Keen and Graev said

I'd wager a few. PvP queues are much longer lately. It's a 3-monther for sure and that's compounded by WoW's big patches incoming and GW2/SWTOR on the horizon.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 11:58PM Rialle said

@Keen and Graev

WoW's big patch which recycles Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them coming back as five-mans, but WoW isn't really doing anything super duper special or unique that makes me want to play it more than RIFT.

Posted: Apr 8th 2011 10:14AM (Unverified) said

@Rialle

Just because the content doesn't excite you doesn't make it any less big?

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 10:17PM canex502 said

Well I'm still a big fan of the game so to all of y'all massively readers (at least the first five) hope you enjoy the game! Its worth a weekend shot at least right?

MXEY-2JHQ-DNKT-XHG3-RRMH

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 10:53PM Halldorr said

My friends probably won't use mine either so here you go guys: KRFW-CZ7K-2WMR-WCW7-QFN3

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge