Posted: Apr 5th 2011 11:22PM CCon99 said

Know what's sad about Cryptic's games? Their marketing team is run by morons. I get a bunch of emails still from them for both CO and STO, but instead of telling me why I should consider coming back to retry their game because they fixed X amount of bugs over the last year, or that they added features Y thru Z that have added a lot to the game play of both games. No, every single email I get from them is that they just added items A thru W to the C-Store for sale.

Not one email on new CO content, no emails on STO's Foundry, no emails on new episodes. Just a bunch of emails about Arabian costumes, and 60's Star Trek costumes, and new ships that are for sale in the C-Store.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 7:47AM pcgneurotic said

@CCon99

Strange, I got a rather plush email announcing the Foundry for STO.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 1:23PM Aganazer said

@CCon99

I get emails about all that stuff. New content, new ships, the foundry... all of it.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 12:17AM Ryn said

KHAN!! Er...wait...I mean CCON!! lol. I know I used that one before but I just couldn't help it. You are just a sour grape. If I knew you I would buy you a drink to lighten you up. I got an email about the foundry. I also read the engineering reports that Dstahl of STO puts out on a monthly basis. They are there for everyone to read and more often than not linked off of Massively here. Could Crypitc do a better PR job. Sure. But they have learned some hard lessons this past year and I think the changes in STO point that out. To your point, they should point out more of the changes they have made. Bu then again, we both read Massively here. And they are usually covered by the other game sites. How much coverage do we need?

Am I a Cryptic fanboy? No. But I will acknowledge when someone has tried to correct their wrongs and step up, no matter who they are.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:21AM CCon99 said

@Ryn lol, you're definitely a fanboy. You agree with me that they need to do better, but then still get hiney hurt that I pointed out they're doing a poor PR job making former players aware of the changes. That's all my post said was how instead of trying to win me back and convince me to come back to the game, all they've been doing is sending me emails reminding me that they're highest priority over creating content, is creating items for the C-Store so they can double dip.

Sure YOU know what's going on because you read their forums religiously, I'm talking about marketing to the former players that don't follow the game anymore or might skip a CO/STO bias article. They should be trying to market the STO foundry like crazy, since one of the biggest complaints was not having enough missions to level up (especially on the Klingon side). If it wasn't for this site mentioning the Foundry, I wouldn't even know it currently existed. Yet, they did make sure I got 2 emails letting me know that a bunch of new purchased costume packs were released.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 9:40AM Ryn said

@CCon99 For some reason you Epically Fail to read simple text as usual. If you just followed the links here in articles here on Massively, you would be well informed. I have no idea how to explain your lack of comprehension.

Your lack of understanding is ...wait for it...Illogical.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 10:56AM CCon99 said

@Ryn

You're completely missing the point I'm making, I'll try to dumb it down for you (irony!). My point is instead of emailing me about C-Store items that are available for a game I DON'T and HAVEN'T played in over a year, they should use those emails to instead spread info to try and peak my interest in WANTING to check out the game again.

I know you're going to find this hard to believe, but most readers here will just skip over an article if it's about a game they don't play or lost interest in. They should be using those emails to try and entice former players who have long forgotten about their games, not make them roll their eyes and think to themselves that nothing's changed over there as they're still more worried about pushing their C-Store down everyone's throats.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 12:40AM shockologist said

I actually resubbed this month because of an email telling me the foundry had gone live (Been waiting to try it out for ages as I am sure its the basis of the new NWN game cryptic is doing).

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 2:16AM Zuljundwumn said

@shockologist
Well, it wouldn't be a surprise. Actually, I think that's the way cryptic is gonna do it's games from now on : "Minimal content, but we give you the tools to build your own game because since we're a small team scattered on 3 games, we can't update them at a decent pace".

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 3:00AM ShivanSwordsman said

@Zuljundwumn

You forgot to add that they'll probably force you to pay for the player-created content. Player created content isn't bad at all, it's some of the best, and ignoring the player base is a sure way to lose. Unfortunately, Cryptic has been doing it for years and is still floating. Still, at least they're learning... somewhat.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 8:49AM Yellowdancer said

@ShivanSwordsman

SOE has been ignoring their players for 12 years. So Cryptic has like 5 more years till they reach epic level.

I think Cryptic is finally learning what works well for them. You have to remember...they were started by smart people who never worked on games before.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014