Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 8:18AM (Unverified) said

That pic from In The Mouth Of Madness.....awesome movie!

As for the question, M'uru from WoW's Sunwell Plateau raid. Anyone who did him at the appropriate time knows how brutal and unforgiving and awesome the encounter was. Some of the wipes we had on him were enough to make anyone lose their mind. Unfortunately I never could kill him before the big 3.0 nerf, and after that the fight just wasn't the same.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 5:37PM Faction 3 said

@(Unverified) Raiding in WoW, generally.

Dealing with elitist pricks, Guild disbands over childish bullshit, hunting for "progressing" Guilds with a need for your class (Nothing beats being the Bench-Warming Warlock...) and Guild Masters who Nerd-Rage over Vent.

Yeah.....good times....

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 9:06PM Tovrin said

@(Unverified) OFF TOPIC: Yup. "In the Mouth of Madness" is one of the few movies that even comes close to being Lovecraftian ... and is far better than those movies officially based on the Cthulhu mythos. Love it!

ON TOPIC: Anarchy Online's release day. 'nuff said.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 8:29AM Mynsc said

Came here expecting to find a RIFT link somewhere in the text. Was not dissapointed (or actually I was since this seems to be a reccuring thing in the last weeks here).

on topic... I'd say the 4 weeks full of Yogg-Sarron + 0 wipes pretty much nailed me to the ground. The moment we finally got the realm first was absolutely awesome, but 1 week after I had to take a break from the game.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 8:35AM Zuljundwumn said

Champion's online April fools day event.
Finding 100 Foxbats hidden in Millenium city was just... TOO MUCH ! I spent a whole night on this, and the next morning, when I tried to finish it... They had to reset the quest because of a bug.

I had to use a walkthrough because after a whole night doing it honestly... Man, my brain just melted.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 9:08AM Irem said

Grinding for "Insane in the Membrane" in WoW, of course! :D

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 9:17AM Dunraven said

I would say my recent experience with RIFT and this is more of a generalized thing than anything specific. Witnessing a MMO that had all good ingredients and so much potential falling flat due to not really having a soul, and when I say soul I mean that certain je ne sais quoi that grabs you and immerses you in the world and makes you give a damn about it and the NPC's inhabiting it.
It’s like getting that really hot girl back to your place only to find out her breath smells like a Bum’s ass, and she’s wearing a wonder …everything.

That experience was enough to push me over the edge.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 10:56AM Zuljundwumn said

@Dunraven

Oh yeah, I totally agree !
This game felt so nice on beta and pre lauch, but after playing it for a month I realized how empty the world felt. At first I thought it was only a matter of landscape, but as you said... the game lacks a soul... Which is a bit ironic hey ?

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 11:43AM Lockisezmode said

• Half a heart
@Dunraven In your opinion falling flat because the current subs numbers and the full realms after the first month sub fee hit disagree with you. Besides you have all your love saved for DCUO and SWG. You should log in, they miss you.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 11:55AM Dunraven said

@Lockisezmode No falling flat because the game isn't fun for me, and really that is what it's all about isn't it...what's fun for you as an individual?

I'm truly sorry that it grates you that I happen to enjoy one game (don't really play SWG that much other than the TCG game) that is developed by a company that you apparently despise, but at least I don’t attempt to harass those who have different taste than I do, or disagrees with me about what makes a fun MMO.…the anti-soe crowd is all about that is seems.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 9:31AM JohnD212 said

Right now I would say RIFT. I loved the game at launch. I purchased a 3 months at a time subscription fully expecting to play it for a while. Then Patch 1.1 came out and I realized how badly a company can screw things up. Trion not only introduced a world event that is yawn worthy but they also "tweaked" or as I call it "screwed up" all the melee sounds. The game is now less dynamic. Thud thud thud is not what you want to hear when you swing your sword against something. 20 pages worth of posts and counting about this issue and no response from Trion. This is a game breaking thing for me and something that was so easily avoided.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 9:44AM Amaxe said

Having Vehicle quests which require fast responses in order to advance to the next quest in the chain, as I have bad latency. I never got the Seahorse and had to swim through Vashj'ir, and I had never advanced through the Argent Tournament.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 10:03AM Skyydragonn said

During the burning crusade expansion for WoW. I sat down in one session and farmed ALL the materials required to craft 4 sets of resist armor for the two tanks (and backups) for the Hydross fight in sunken temple. Anyone who's farmed up one set knows how freaking long it takes to get one set done let alone four.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 10:04AM PrimeSynergy said

Maplestory.

I won't lie. Back in the day, I used to be in love with that game, but after a certain lvl grinding for xp simply became intolerable. It would take about a week or so to gain one lvl. And don't even get me started on trying to find gear or participating in one of their events.

To be fair, I had more good times than bad in that game, but the grind was more than enough to make me lose interest.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 11:07AM (Unverified) said

Well well well LOTRO

R E M E M B E R T H E S K E L E T O N H O R S E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 11:09AM Syesta said

FFXI: (NM) Keeper of Halidom
I wanted the Daihannya (STR+3 Great Katana) so bad for some reason...
but went 0/283 on him.

No, no embellishment here.
I went 0/283 on that bastard before giving up.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 12:43PM mysecretid said

@Syesta

Crikey! I'm immune to all forms of Final Fantasy myself but -- as a gamer -- I have to ask: couldn't you have recruited a buddy or three to help you get the sword? I mean, 283 times? Call for backup, son!

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 2:19PM Irem said

@Syesta
Holy crap. I'm sorry you never got it.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 5:04PM Syesta said

@mysecretid
Oh, it's not a matter of failing to kill it so many times. It's a matter of killing it that many times and never having it drop. Something you get used to in a lot of Asian MMOs...

Posted: Apr 5th 2011 5:42PM LazyLemming said

@mysecretid

FFXI's drop rates could be abysmal. Some items had in the realm of half a percent chance to drop. Square Enix seemed to equate "Takes forever" with "difficult."

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014