Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 12:26PM Dril said

Can you elaborate on how you actually use the gamepad? As in, what fingers are hitting what? I have an n52te that I was originally going to use for MMOs but I could just never figure out how to use it properly (I've been a mouse-mover for as long as I can remember, so I just use my fingers and thumb especially for keybinds.)

Still enjoying AoC though; I just wish every group wasn't demanding "vent, AA, exp and gear."

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 12:40PM Apakal said

@Dril
I just put WASD on the D-pad/thumbstick thingy and then put 1-0, -, =, [, and ] on the keys. I keep it simple. That way I can thumb around while mouse-turning and hitting all the buttons I need in a fairly comfortable fashion.

I know some people put Shift, Ctrl, Alt, and something else on their thumbstick so they can use modifiers and they exclusively mouse turn, but I never used modifiers. You just have to play around with it and see what works for you. It depends a lot on your playstyle.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 12:59PM mysecretid said

@Dril

You said: I just wish every group wasn't demanding "vent, AA, exp and gear."

Y'know, I see this happening more and more in the MMORPGs I play, or have played, and not only in AoC -- and it's really starting to piss me off something fierce. Beyond that, I think these sort of elitist recruiting attempts are bad for the games.

Sure, every group wants to filter out people who don't share their general definition of what is fun -- but as you've flagged Dril -- it all seems to have gone beyond basic personality filtering at some point.

Now, grouping is becoming so exclusionary, it runs the risk of discouraging truly good players from even trying the group content.

So, I feel your pain, Dril. May Crom fart mightily upon them all! :-)

Posted: Apr 4th 2011 10:21AM Jef Reahard said

@Dril

My Bear Shaman setup is in the pic above. Like Apakal I put WASD on the thumbstick, but it sounds like my combos might be a little bit different than his. G10, 11, and 12 are my "center position" (attack left, front, and right), and my hand always goes back to those three and I have various combos and abilities spreading out from there in order of importance.

It's pretty easy to drop/stretch your fingers to any of the other keys from that center after a little practice.

Posted: Apr 4th 2011 2:22PM Dril said

@Jef Reahard

Aye I saw the picture, I was more dowering about how you actually use your fingers in terms of where they go, but you answered that as well, so cheers ^^ If I stick with AoC I might have to try and set up my n52te to be as all of you have suggested.

Only problem is my desk isn't big enough to have gamepad and keyboard side-by-side, so typing is an issue :(

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 12:34PM Apakal said

I prefer the n52te over the G13 (less buttons, but in my world, that's better). Its made mouse and keyboard gaming, which I used to hate, infinitely more enjoyable.

And oh the macros! I broke the supposed rules and made all my buttons into repeating single-action macros, turbo keys basically, which makes a world of difference when trying to combat latency to the fullest. It also makes 3 hour gaming sessions far more bearable.

Posted: Apr 4th 2011 12:47PM (Unverified) said

I havent had the need to do any excessive keybindings or felt the urge to buy a gamepad (or a mouse with 26 buttons for that matter). It might be the PoM class that is forgiving and let me rely on the old Mouse and keyboard.

I am wondering about rolling a melee class though, but if that would mean that I would have to relearn the game (by using a gamepad or a hefty mouse), I`ll just stick to my casters.

Still, I only really post here to make more people check out the game.
Check out the game! It is really, really, really much improved from what it used to be.

Posted: Apr 4th 2011 1:39PM Misterlee said

I've only ever used a standard mouse and keyboard for AoC and have mostly played melee characters. You definately don't need fancy hardware or elaborate key bindings to play melee classes.

It's probably not something most people do, but the first thing I did was reclaim the Q and E keys for strafing, which I'm very used to using. I only found I needed to add 'lower' direction keys very late in the game and as I recall only one of my BS combos has a lower direction, which I mapped to C and Z.

Jef, I don't know if you already knew this as it's not obvious in-game, but when you use 'manifestations' the way to proc the secondary effect is to hit the target with Internal Bleed. I didn't discover that one for ages after playing my first BS.

Posted: Apr 5th 2011 11:24PM Jef Reahard said

@Misterlee

Yeah, I picked that up while reading the BS forums a couple weeks ago. Thanks!

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM