Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:11AM jealouspirate said

I just started playing LOTRO last week or so, and I actually met Frodo and Sam in the introductory quest chain for my Hobbit. It was just as they were leaving the Shire.

It was kind of funny, though. In that brief encounter they tried to make it so Frodo was hiding his identity, going all "Oh hullo there, I'm Mister Underhill". But if you mouse over him "Frodo Baggins" comes right up. Just one of those "game mechanics" moments.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 5:19PM BoundingDeer said

@jealouspirate

Made me lol :P

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:34AM Hexxis said

When they switched to Free to Play, they also revamped a lot of the starting quests. As such, you see all four of the hobbits pass by in the Hobbit tutorial area, just as they're making their way out of the Shire. Aragorn makes an appearance in the Man tutorial, as well as spending a lot of time in Archet now.

It seems they wanted new players to actually feel more involved in, or at least closer to, the story immediately.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:34AM Lenn said

With the change to f2p, they put Aragorn in the Archet intro, so you'll already have met him prior to the Pony, if you play a Man or Hobbit character.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:39AM Lenn said

" you see all four of the hobbits pass by in the Hobbit tutorial area, just as they're making their way out of the Shire"

Three of them, actually. Merry isn't there. If I remember correctly from the book, he's preparing Frodo's house in Crickhollow, which is where the other three are going.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:53AM (Unverified) said

I've only played a little on my dwarf, but I was thrilled to have Gandalf be the first NPC I talk to. After reading this article, I need to push Rift to the side for awhile and get back to my dwarf. He's leaving the starter zone, so now I get to experience the wider world.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:03AM Djinn said

Elrond is in the Last Homely House and you get quests from him too. He's downstairs in the Scholar area.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:07AM Dark Ember said

Elrond is in the last homely house in rivendell. You also meet him at the start if you choose elf.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:25AM Lenn said

@Dark Ember & Djinn You guys need to adjust your sarcasm meter. It's not working correctly.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:31AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I'm fairly new to LOTR. I rolled a Human Captain because I want to be Aragorn. Really, I do. I paid $20 for Mines of Moria collectors endition and it came with 30 days of VIP. I have to tell you that after leveling in this game I know that I will be cancelling my VIP account for a FTP as I near my 30th day in what is supposed to be Middle Earth. LOTR is more a RPG. It's as if Cryptic and Turbine merged STOL with DDO. I might as well be leveling in DDO or Guild Wars because this is exactly how this game feels. Very few things are present to remind me that I am in Middle Earth. I love the LOTR lore but it is few and far between here. The other thing ... this game has it's pretty moments but it's graphics are not the quality of other MMO's I have played. I'm sorry but I really think Turbine missed its mark.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 12:16PM ScottishViking said

@(Unverified)

"Very few things are present to remind me that I am in Middle Earth. I love the LOTR lore but it is few and far between here."

You, sir, are playing a different game than I am.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 12:30PM Plastic said

@(Unverified)

April Fool's, right?

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 12:52PM swollentiki said

@(Unverified) I agree, what game are you playing? LotRO is a beautiful, immersive game especially if you are a fan of the books. Have you even been to Bree or the Shire?

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:48AM Wensbane said

Ah yes, I still remember the "Trap for the Creature" quest, all too well. It was the first time I met Gollum and, quite frankly, it creeped the heck out of me...

I really like the fact that LotRO doesn't shove the Fellowship right down your throat. It actually becomes something special whenever you meet one of them.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:57AM Dunraven said

I remember during the beta right before launch you didn’t see any of the fellowship members..bu you would see black riders during late evening and early morning in the fields and woods around Bree...it was extremely Immersive a lot of bang for very little buck so t speak.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:35PM JaySpeed said

I know this is finding the fellowship but how bout the easter egg in volume 3 book 2 where you see Saruman? Durin's Bane makes an appearance in the new raid also. And Sauron's eye is encountered a few times in the epic books.

Posted: Apr 4th 2011 7:14AM jastani said

Also, you can work on your anti-suicide persuasion techniques on Arwen, who seems to like standing at the edge of cliffs.