Posted: Apr 1st 2011 5:16PM ShivanSwordsman said

Good lord you people are late. The Closed Beta is already done. Also, the line "Elsword is obviously a game for quick bouts of play or for long sessions of grinding on mob" is a bit of a lie. As you do dungeons, your "stamina" goes down. When your stamina is completely lost, you can no longer do any dungeons. Anyone familiar with the fatigue system in Dungeon Fighter Online will know what to expect here.

I loved the game, and enjoyed it greatly, but I can't stand by when people sit here expecting something more from the game when it's not there. You'll burn your meter in about 2 - 3 hours, and unless you roll another character, you can't level for the rest of the day. The quests are much easier to complete, and Kill3rCombo is apparently going to give us the extra characters for free rather than making us quest, just like the Korean version, so it's a lot nicer to you than Grand Chase, the forefather of this game.

Still, I've been playing Grand Chase like a madman, since I can play all day at my own pace. Take of it what you will, but Elsword already lost points with me for stamina. If you love fast paced arcade games, play it. I know I do. Just remember: In the dev's eyes, you're not old enough to decide when you've had enough game, and you have a meter that tells you when you're done EXPing for the day.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 5:39PM Beau Hindman said

@ShivanSwordsman We did not play during closed beta, we played right after closed beta had ended and we were essentially on the server with just us and the developers. Any mention of future betas is noted: "later beta."

As far as stamina, there was no mention of it during our visit. I do know, coming from experience with other side-scrollers and games with a "stamina" system, that amounts of play are measured differently by different people. You might think that 2-3 *hours* is not a lot, but I can assure that someone will think so. Grinding on mobs can feel like a lifetime, anyway! :) Understand that 2-3 hours of gameplay for someone can be considered a heckuva lot.

Beau

Posted: Apr 2nd 2011 5:20AM ShivanSwordsman said

@Beau Hindman

I realize, I was just worried some would get pumped about the game, then see the Stamina System, then ditch and feel fury over it. That happened to me with DFO, and several people who started playing Elsword during CBT. We had a lot of quitters over the stamina system.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2011 9:04AM Beau Hindman said

@ShivanSwordsman Cool, thanks for pointing it out. I have heard a lot about similar systems, like in Vindictus, that prevent players from playing more than sometimes they would like, or would ask for cash in order to play more. In Vin, for example, I found that most people were complaining about not being able to grind the heck out of dungeons -- something that I think Nexon underestimated. I talked to a few power players who were fine with the amount, and some who had issues with it.

I just wanted to clarify that either way a couple hours per night will seem like plenty to a lot of players, and it's not as though there isn't anything at all left to do when a dungeon is done? :)

Thanks for the comments!

Beau

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:05PM Nickbg said

It looks like Grand Chase

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:45PM Fakeassname said

it's fun but there is a little too much flash when you pull of a combo and knock a target down ... so thats like every 4-5 seconds. after a while I had to start closing my eyes just as I fired off the last hit 'cause it was hurting my eyes.

the game looks bland as all hell to you get to the second "town" then you start seeing how complex the game actually can be.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:49PM lazymangaka said

When I saw "Elsword" all I read was "Ellsworth", which is the name of a very boring Air Force base in South Dakota. I thought to myself, "Why in the world would anyone want to make an MMORPG about Ellsworth?"

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 7:24PM Ghostspeaker said

...great. Now that I'm interested the CBT's just ended. Thanks a lot, Beau. ;P

Seriously though, looks like the lovechild of Maple Story and Marvel Vs. Capcom. Count me in. :D

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 8:07PM Germaximus said

"All of the characters stay true to a manga look and style, and even the voiceovers were left untranslated because the developers found that gamers who tested the game preferred to hear the foreign language with subtitles -- perhaps because it reminded them of some of their favorite animated shows."

I never realized that or thought of it that way, makes sense tho once i read it. haha
I remember when i first heard the voice-overs i did enjoy that they werent in english.