Posted: Mar 31st 2011 9:52PM DancingCow said

It will only affect the account/global names of a few hundred European accounts.

Given it's only going to affect a very small number of players, suggesting that their could be trepidation about it and telling us we'd definitely want to check out the entire entry seems a bit over the top.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 11:32PM DarkWalker said

#1 reason I'm not playing CoH right now: limited respecs.

Unless I'm absolutely sure I can respec any time I want, with minimum fuss, and at reasonably low cost (equivalent to no more than an hour of grinding, though even that is pushing me), I will not play a MMO.

Otherwise, I would probably be playing CoH right now. Loved the game when I tried it way back, after WoW's zombie invasion made me cancel my WoW subscription, but without easy respecs I wouldn't keep playing any MMO even if it was the last MMO on the market.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 9:43AM CitizenH said

@DarkWalker

Your Grade: D-
Did not do the research

CoH *has* unlimited respecs.

First, they hand free respecs out like candy. There's one with just about every content release, sometimes multiple. i19 came with THREE free respecs.

Second, they give out free respecs redeemed from every odd Veteran reward badge.

Third, you can run the respec trial in about an hour and earn one. This can be done three times total.

Fourth, if for some reason you have exhausted those avenues and blew ALL of those respecs, you can *still* earn unlimited respecs by doing your daily Tip missions and earning Hero/Villain Merits. This can be accomplished in 20 days; less if you supplement it by converting Reward Merits into Hero/Villain Merits.

Fifth, respecs drop as rare loot.

Sixth, respecs can be bought at the market or traded for with another player, but are priced at a premium.

As you can see, there are many, many ways to get respecs, requiring varying degrees of effort and time. As with anything, if you use the easy route carelessly and fritter your freebies away, you will have to either work or wait for what you want.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:05AM AT3374 said

@DarkWalker

?

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:59AM Daemodand said

@DarkWalker And don't forget about multiple builds. Starting at level 10 you can switch to a second build any time you want at any trainer. After you open the Alpha Slot in the Incarnate system, you get a third build. CoH is very respec friendly.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 2:57PM DarkWalker said

@CitizenH

Let me be a bit more blunt: I don't play MMOs without unlimited AND easy respecs. Or, at least, with respecs any harder to come by than WoW's ones (i.e., farm gold for 15-30 minutes and make a trip to any main city). BTW, respecs paid for with real money are a big no for me; I treat respecs as something as essential in a MMO game as fast travel modes or basic leveling content, and, just like I won't play a game that charged subscribers apart for those features, I won't play a game that charges subscribers apart for respecs.

I know about every way to get respecs in CoH; I liked the game enough to search the internet for ways to get easier respecs, so I might avoid leaving it, and I would have returned to the game if I had found any that seemed reasonable to me; I still look regularly for any change in how CoH respecs are obtained, in the hope Paragon might have changed their stance on respecs.

As for why I won't play without said respecs:

- Absolutely limited resources of any kind don't agree with me, on any kind of game. I'm the kind of player that finishes bullet hell sidescrollers with all my special power uses unused, since I can't bring myself to spend them. Conversely, knowing some kind of respec is limited means I can't bring myself to use them, concerned I could have a greater need for it down the road.

- In any game where specs matter in any way, one of my sources of fun is tweaking my spec. In a game like Guild Wars, with free respecs, I will often shuffle an attribute point or two every time I reach a city. Any game with a limit on respecs is also limiting my fun.

- I hate the pressure to get the spec right on the first try. I like being able to undo any errors I do while leveling. Limited respecs mean I will spend way more time than I would like just planning my character before even going to the character creator, since I won't ever count on limited, non-renewable resources being available. I would rather just go playing, stumbling along the way, reading bits of information here and there, and correcting my errors as I find them.

- I dislike making hard commitments in characters, including commitments to a given spec. I like to completely change my character's play style from time to time, which means a change of spec. If I want to change my character and can't, or if the process is too much a hassle, I leave the game. This is what happened when I played CoH a couple years ago; I got to a point I wanted to completely change my character and hadn't earned any respecs yet, so I quit the game.

It's a matter of preference. And, for me, a hard fact. If I can't respec any time I want, I will not continue playing the game, no matter how good it is. It's not like I lack options, BTW; the only games I can think about among the big MMOs that don't have unlimited and easy respecs are CoH, DDO, and EVE - and the lack of free (as in free beer) respecs was among the main reasons I left each of those.

In fact, I left DDO when I got to level 2 and was stuck because I couldn't choose what I would take on my character, and it dawned on me I probably wouldn't be able to change anything I choose without either getting a few raid drops or spending real money; I think I still have that level 1 character on my DDO account :)

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 2:58PM DarkWalker said

@Daemodand
Can I respec 2-3 times per day (and not only along 3 pre-made specs, but in any way I please)?
Then CoH is not respec friendly enough for me.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:50PM patman23 said

CoH is perhaps not the game for you.

But I guarantee that if I had to respec 2-3 times a day, the game would not be for me either.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2011 12:13PM CitizenH said

@patman23

"CoH is perhaps not the game for you."

Indeed. 2-3 easy respecs *a day* isn't reasonable for /any/ MMO I've played ever.

I can't even conceive why anyone playing CoH could ever need that many:

There's only so many viable ways to slot SO enhancements and the optimal method has been known for a long time. You can only have three of the nine power pools, excluding your travel power. You can only pick one of eight-ish Epic pools, and they don't even come into play until level 41.

That being said:

It seems to me a better approach than burning tons of respecs to get your character the way you want would be to utilize Mid's Hero Designer

to work out your build and take advantage of the ability to COPY your character to the official Test server to respec them there and try the build out before you commit to making the changes on the Live servers.

You can copy your character to Test as many times as you like and any respecs they have attached to them come along with them. When you use up those respecs on Test, you can delete the character from Test and copy over a fresh version from Live again as many times as you like and it doesn't affect Live. When you figure out what works best for you, you can make the changes to the Live version of the character when you're confident.

Unlimited respecs, in the 15-30 minutes it takes the system to copy the character over to Test, allowing you to tweak your build as many times as you like without endangering the 'real' character.

It doesn't get much better than that in any game.

WRUP: This is why we can't have nice things

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 10:00AM