Posted: Mar 31st 2011 7:13PM Lombardus said

Sigh. Every bit of STO news makes me wish I bought a lifetime sub back at the beginning. It really just keeps getting better. :(

Kudos to Cryptic and a "Ha!" to the naysayers. :)

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 7:36PM Loopy said

@Lombardus
I agree with the fact that it's getting better and better, but i don't regret not buying a lifetime sub. I've taken too many breaks from the game.

If they manage to amaze me with the new ground combat system, i can promise to love them (with my subscription) long time :).

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 1:56AM Stormwaltz said

@Lombardus

If it makes you feel any better, know that your monthly sub continues to support the development of a game you love.

Today I added up all the money I spent on MMGs in 2010. Out of that $389.41, not one cent went to LotRO. It's my favorite MMG and I play it nearly every day, but I have a grandfathered lifetime sub, so I'm not actually doing anything to support it.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 7:41PM Dunraven said

I am having such a blast with STO latley the forundry is just incredible. Kudos Cryptic and yes feel free to flip the bird to the haters.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 7:56PM (Unverified) said

If done well this could really catapult this game to new heights.

There is such an intense passionate fanbase for this IP that if given the chance could make so many memorable episodes into playable missions.

Will be keeping an eye of this game for the first time since launch.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 9:14PM Lateris said

I really like the direction STO is going.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 10:07PM The Grand Nagus said

To respond to the point you made about the complaint some people are making about the Foundry meaning people are paying to make their own content(or that it will be an excuse to make less content), the Devs recently announced that they are doubling the number of Featured Episode series we get every year. That means we will actually be getting more official content after the Foundry has been released than before.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 2:44AM pcgneurotic said

I'd just like to say that I too have always thought Holodeck a more suitable name for the test servers. As it is now, Holodeck-live implies that we, the playes IRL are using the Holodeck to simulate our ST fantasies; whereas having Holodeck-test would imply that we, actual StarFleet personnel, are simulating things on the holodeck. Funny eh? :D

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 3:04AM Saerain said

I didn't realize they'd directly admitted that it is co-developed by the [i]Neverwinter[/i] devs because they need the technology, too. I had certainly suspected it, but I figured they wouldn't say it, because as CCP has demonstrated, some people feel as if their game being ‘just a test bed for another project’ is demeaning. I'm happy to not be one of them, needless to say.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 5:44AM seannewboy said

Awesome article :D

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:33AM Zuljundwumn said

I hope they do the same for champions.
It take them 4 month to create adventure packs you finish in two hours, at this rate they better let the players create their own missions.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 8:44AM Z3R0B4NG said

"I've always thought the test server should have been called Holodeck, but that is a discussion for another day."

That is so they can say "we have trouble with Tribble!"
and if the live server crashes they can say "The Holodeck is malfunctioning!"

they also have an internal test server called "Redshirt" so the boss can say..."aaaw! you killed the Redshirt again!"

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 2:14PM Ocho said

@Z3R0B4NG

Thats the best answer I've heard... and, as being an easy answer, is most likely the right one. :)

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 10:08AM Dusty668 said

I have played STO for several months, it is a fine game, It certainly seems to be ramping up nicely.

"the Foundry is a user-generated content (UGC) toolset that allows players to create their own missions and episodes." "that will separate STO from the rest of the sci-fi genre MMOs."

I direct your attention to:

Issue 14 of City of Heroes/Villains. In 2009.

-5 to fact check.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 2:16PM Ocho said

@Dusty668

Sci-fi genre, as opposed to fantasy or superhero genre. Everyone knows CoH has UGC, but its not sci-fi. I think his statement still stands.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:46PM (Unverified) said

City of Heroes/Villains is a sci-fi genre MMO?

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 4:20PM Sente said

@(Unverified)

It does include fictional science, a lot of it. Alien invasions, parallel universes, time travel etc. SciFi is not only space ships and pew-pew.

Posted: Apr 6th 2011 2:23PM Ocho said

@Sente

I think superhero is its own genre, really. You have fantasy, like WoW, LotRO, GW; Sci-fi, like STO, Eve Online, SWtOR; and superhero, like CoH/V, Champions Online, DCUO.

Superhero really gets its own genre as some fans of sci-fi and fantasy just are not into superhero games at all.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2011 8:28PM shockologist said

So here we are then at the pre pre pre alpha for neverwinter online then since the foundry is the heart and soul of what neverwinter online 2011 is supposed to be...hopefully this means that we see that beta soon

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM