Posted: Mar 31st 2011 2:56PM Arkane said

Awesome writing!

I'm roleplaying a Wizard in CO myself, and have had abit of a problem to write a good background story for my hero.

I'm so used to roleplaying a wizard in a fantasy setting.
I hope i can get some progress done with the tips in this article, thanks!

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 3:08PM Budokan said

Interesting article. Some of the parallels with historical magic and the various folklore that accompany it reminded me of what Jim Butcher has done with his "Dresden Files" novels, of which I'm a huge fan. If you get into this stuff, dig magic, and like a good mystery, do yourself a huge favor and check them out.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:43PM Arkane said

@Budokan

Dresden is exactly what my Wizard in CO is "based" on. Trying to put the Wizard in a modern day setting. Uban Mage.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 4:24PM DancingCow said

You seem to be referring a lot to elements of the Champions IP which either aren't present or noticeable in CO, but you refer to them as if they are. Eg.

"In the Champions universe, arcane practice is very different than its typical portrayals elsewhere. In most universes with a fantasy element, magic involves some chanting and spending some magic points or some other consumable resource (or possibly forgetting the spell in question) before the magic effect wills itself into existence."

In CO you spend energy points and the magic effect wills itself into existence.

As for this claim:

"When I say that magic in CO has a basis in the occult of real life, I'm not exaggerating."

Given the extremely wide variety of different real-world magic systems and beliefs, you can make exactly the same claim about nearly ever fictional work which includes magic.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 4:52AM pcgneurotic said

@DancingCow

"Champions IP" (yours) and "Champions universe" (his) have identical meanings, so that's a non-example, and i find your last point to be extremely dubious too.

Having said that, Patrick does often dip into the larger lore pool to illustrate points about the MMO, which while possibly mildly contentious, imho makes his pieces all the richer and more interesting. In fact, there was a really , really good one not long ago where he examined how much PnP lore had actually made it into the MMOG, and how well it stood up in that context.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:25AM Patrick Mackey said

@pcgneurotic Actually in the case of magic, the game lore holds up pretty well with the book lore. They don't actually explain the difference between theurgy and thaumaturgy or anything, but there are lots of little things like summonings taking rituals, Witchcraft in general (she's referenced repeatedly as having one of the highest levels of mystic talent but has minimal experience, which gels really well with how she's portrayed in-game), Caliburn's magic ability (he doesn't cast non-fire spells -- because he can't without rituals), and the ridiculous overpoweredness of Takofanes and the Kings of Edom (Tak is possibly slightly underpowered ingame just so we don't all die every Blood Moon). There's also some subtle references to the first Archmage hidden in the game and all of the VB stuff is really tight with both the 5e and 6e books (although Black Mask's appearance in 5e is much different -- and hotter)

As far as magic goes, they've done a surprising job in CO of not ruining the book lore. I can't really ask for much else :O

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 7:53PM Patrick Mackey said

@Tempes Magus This is more about the how and why and not the what of magic. In the CO universe, magic seems fairly unlimited. The main magical limitations are on dimensional travel -- it's very possible but there are restrictions, but basically you have to jump through a few hoops to get to certain realm categories and some types of world (most notably parallel Earths) can't be accessed at all (!)

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 8:17PM Saker said

@Tempes Magus
The Super Hero comics "Elementals" had all (not that there were many) super hero's powers came from the "supernatural". Very good series.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 1:13AM pixelmonkey said

Great read Patrick!

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 4:58AM pcgneurotic said

I made (and play) my Arcane archetype as a sort of Dr. Strange type (perhaps obviously), and on a street level, I've always thought the CO MMOG magic was very much like the Marvel comics' idea of magic in so far as that other heroes don't really question where the purple stuff I'm shooting out of my hands comes from, just as I don't question their gig. It may be something mildly interesting for them to think about, like, 'Oh cool, magic', as though it makes a change from 'Oh look, metal claws', but ultimately as long as I'm putting the hurt on the bads or otherwise supporting their own actions, they're not that bothered.

Well, I guess if you do have an adamantium skeleton or the power to shoot cosmic rays out of your butt, it doesn't really matter where you get our juice from. :D

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 11:11AM Patrick Mackey said

@Tempes Magus Also, to clarify my post more you should read my initial lore primer: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/09/23/behind-the-mask-six-editions-of-legacy-cant-be-all-bad/

It has the old site formatting, so it looks a little weird >.<

Basically, almost all super-tech/mutation characters and possibly even other "expert" non-super characters are super because of magic.