Posted: Mar 30th 2011 7:20PM Plastic said

Could Smaug possibly be making an appearance?

Oh, and BTW, we GET it, Turbine, you sell things in your cash shop. We haven't forgotten. =P

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 7:57PM JaySpeed said

I'm surprised and very happy that we're getting another update so soon. I was expecting them to be on a quarterly update cycle but that's a 2 month update cycle. Hopefully it continues cause May till November offers room for an Update 4 in August.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 8:01PM Khorrax said

"We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback on [...] the new additions to the LOTRO Store."

Is that so? What about the people rightfully complaining about them, especially the VIPs who are treated pretty much like the rest?

Leaving that aside, let's hope future updates rely more on in game content, and less on adding things to the store.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 8:11PM Plastic said

@Khorrax

If by "in-game content" you mean more store buttons, I think you may be in for a treat. By my calculations, there's still 12% of my screen devoid any of links to the store. That means players have more than a 10% chance to forget they can buy things while playing! I'm sure this will be rectified in a future update.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 2:45PM Nerves said

@Plastic

I would gladly pay some good turbine points to have the turbine store ads removed, lol.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 8:45PM Lateris said

Does this mean we will see DX 11 textures on every item besides water?

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 9:04PM Dunraven said

@Lateris That would be a very interesting to see, but I wonder if they would no have to go back and update many of the models before hand.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 4:33PM Lateris said

@Dunraven I bet they would have to do that. Maybe a modder could do this?

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 11:40AM Nerves said

The awkward and blatant store plugs really turned people off this letter. Why on earth did she open with a commercial for store items in the first paragraph? I was rolling my eyes by the end of the second sentence, and it was hard to take the rest of the letter seriously.

Seriously turbine, tone it down a notch.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 12:31PM ScottishViking said

I haven't minded the store until now...but, as much as I regularly disagree with some of the commenters here, I'm going to have to agree this time. Things have gotten a bit much with the store. I think it might be time for them to take a step back and ask themselves if they're not pushing new "freemium" boundaries here.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 4:52PM DiscoJer said

Meh. They only seem to be interested in making content for raiders, which is probably what, 1% of the population of LOTRO?

But I'm sure they spend a lot on store potions (and scrolls to improve their LIs), so I guess that's who they will cater to here on out...

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 7:16PM JaySpeed said

@DiscoJer

They added 3 new skirmishes, soloable volume 2, revamped evendim, and a new epic book in Update 2 for non raiding types. They are adding 2 more new skirmishes and a new mid level instance that scales to 65. So that's more new content for non raiders. They generally release 1-2 new raids every 12 months. I'd hardly call that only catering to the raiders.

Posted: Mar 31st 2011 9:54PM Daerin said

Nothing like four mentions of the store or store items in the first paragraph. Any doubt where Turbine's focus is now? I've been playing this game since open beta, but it's getting harder and harder to stomach certain things. The "buy now" buttons all over the place are beyond crass and the overriding reason for the atrocious character panel revamp seems to solely to provide panels that don't have the tacky ad on it. Yet.

While I'm pleased to finally see the badly needed new content, I will admit to being vastly disappointed in Update 2. The burglar "update" was a cruel joke, parts of the new instances are boringly and predictably linear, and all of the otherwise-welcome additions such as more cosmetic slots and more milestones slots are store-only items. (Hey, there's a store!) And as far as removing the LI-relic removal skill from the game and into the store - well, that's not quite what I thought they meant when they said store revenue would provide funds for development. As someone on the game's forums aptly said, LotRO needs more story and less store.

The release gave a glimpse into the scary reality that the game may well become slave to the store, instead of the store serving the game. It also proved there is a dwindling value to VIP subscriptions, especially for long term players. It wouldn't be too far fetched to think that Turbine is trying to drive everyone to a premium account, although the completely disregard for the value of a constant revenue stream is sort of odd.

The best thing that LotRO has going for it is that it is still Middle-earth, and not even Turbine's rampant greed has ruined that.

WRUP: Lucky Korea