Posted: Mar 29th 2011 6:21PM Wildcard273 said

Cool write up, Larry. I don't think that player characters will be allowed to be Masters either. But being that players will become Knights, does that mean that Players would be able to train Padawans, be they NPCs or other player characters?

Something to think about.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 6:28PM Xavious said

Just like in other MMOs, I see ToR using Jedi Trials and Ranks to unlock certain skills for the Jedi class.

Or maybe gain access to equipment like Quartermasters in WoW.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 7:22PM Space Cobra said

You forgot to speculate on the light saber color choices!

:P

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 7:26PM Larry Everett said

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 7:47PM Space Cobra said

@Larry Everett

Ha! And I commented on it, too! (It did seem familiar when I read it! :D ).

Still hoping for an Orange and possible an Amber/Gold (Star Wars: Force Unleashed). Yellow and White are appreciated, mainly since I played with those as a kid. (Luke always shown with Yellow in his toys/comics and white being the second color of those old, cheap everyready orange flashlights, mainly because the green disk was missing! But one could improvise a whole spectrum of colors based on colored clear candy wrappers! I hadda purple first! :P ).

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 3:00PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

Sorry, I am feeling nostalgic and just tacking on something to a post that will be back-paged in a few days!

So, my color filters for those flashlights we bought at stores and would hit each other with in our light saber fights!

Hard candy clear wrappers are the best! They came in many clear-colors:

Grape = Dark Purple
Cherry/Spicy = Red
Butterscotch = Yellow
Orange = Orange
Apple (?) = Green/Dark Green (If you lost your green disk that came with the flashlight)

I don't remember a "Blue" color, but that could have been a berry flavor. It was easy to buy these hard candies or pick them up at doctor/dentist offices. You could even mix/match filters for different color combos!

Nostalgia!

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 7:52PM Tiresias said

Actually, I hope we DO get to see Jedi Masters. I would enjoy the opportunity to train my Counselor in some of the aspects of the Force that they would otherwise neglect. A Jedi's training should never stop, and they should always been learning, growing, and teaching themselves and others.

This game has tons of potential for character development across all the classes. I would be disappointed if that initial career choice locked us into a narrow playstyle as so many other MMOs do.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 10:41PM JonBuck said

There's a lot about the way the Jedi are portrayed that confuses and confounds me, and a lot of morally questionable practices (like taking away Force-sensitive children away from their parents as infants, just to start). And the whole division between Light and Dark Sides.

It's nice to see TOR breaking some of these rules by having people able to become Jedi as young adults instead of being "too old to begin the training."

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 10:45PM Laurs said

"My hope is to never see a player called Master in Star Wars: The Old Republic"

Well, honestly, what's the point in even hyping this game so much if not to, at one point, be the one to proudly hold the titulature of on your server. (Master Bater variation also works).

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 10:46PM Laurs said

Titulature of "Master Bator" was what i initially wrote, got cut out for some reason.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 2:51PM Space Cobra said

@Laurs

A bit going side-topic...

I notice in a notable number of TOS agreements for MMOs (and other services), they say one should not use "Lord" in their screenname. I think this may be part of the "religious free-zone" way of MMOs covering themselves, but there are other names mentioned, too. I think "Master" may be one (actually, maybe this is more a question of "royalty/king-free zones). I can see "Master" being confused for an in-game "Game Master" and thus coming into conflict with "spoofing" TOS rules.

So players using "Master" might get a rename when they are caught, as do players who may use "Lord". Mind you, for some games, even though they may be in TOS, they are not hard/fast rules. I think "good taste" rules in this.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 10:10AM searstream said

I think your Doctor analogy falls a little flat, in that most doctors (or any professional) are only so dedicated to their profession. Some maybe obsessed but i dare to venture none are as obsessed as the Jedi about the Force. If you lived your whole life and just studied and used the force I'll let them say that they "seem to know everything there is to know about the Force."

Also a doctor might only practice for 30 -40 years max, and Yoda was 900 years old when he died.

I think that your analogy might have worked better as if a Jedi Master was compared to someone such as Mozart, who in 35 short years had became a master in music and the piano by living his whole life in music.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014