Posted: Mar 28th 2011 8:09PM wfseg said

The the number one thing that keeps me interested in any game is the story/immersion. Wizard101's voice acting really makes it enjoyable and meaningful to play. EVE's two novels, short stories on website, and player created news makes the world feel alive. My number two reason for playing a game is 'fun'. League of Legends is fun. Log in, have an awesome match (no afkers, leavers -_-), log out.

I don't know how you do it, but I left a long time ago. Aion just lacks meaningful content. It lacks soul. Once you get past the graphic, the game's shallow and does the same thing any other f2p does.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 4:55AM Addfwyn said

@wfseg Actually, that's more the problem i had with RIFT or EVE, that it seemed to lack soul. I found the Aion world and environment and lore pretty compelling, it's what kept me with aion longer than any other MMO since FFXI and WoW (though I have since stopped playing largely for time reasons). EVE had some nice lore and novels behind it, but the actual game seemed totally empty I thought.

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 9:40PM cyb3rpunk75 said

I have to agree with the above poster. Originally I didn't make it a month in the game. I've just been playing this weekend for the reactivation event and the whole problem with Aion is that its just not fun. The quests are just a thinly disguised way to say go out and kill 8 of these and 12 of these. The story/lore, if thats what you want to call it, is horrible and completely unimaginative. It's the first game I've ever skipped quest text in. It's a beautiful game and I love the art so much, I really wanted to love the game, but it's just a lame time sink, a classic f2p grinder but only it's not f2p.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 12:29AM DLemke said

“I guess that's the disadvantage of not having a sandbox;…”

You’ve been drinking the Kool Aid, or in this case swallowing the propaganda of the ‘sandbox’ developers. ‘Sandbox’ games have LESS to do that ‘amusement park’ games, not more.

‘Content’, said a CCP developer, is the most expensive part of making a game, so the genius, from a business perspective, he said, is to skip the ‘content’ and rely on the players to sort of create their own, have the players entertain each other. That’s great for making cheap games, and it appeals to some people, but that just makes for lazy developers who fall short for the majority of mmo players.

The problem with ‘sandbox’es is that no matter what you do, sandboxes are not limitless. Take a sandbox, with no toys, and what do you have? Sand. Take a sandbox and put a couple toys in it, what do you have? A sandbox with a couple toys. Game rules, and game ‘content’, although they can be stretched by your imagination, still are limited to moving around what limited stuff there is provided by the developers.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 4:53AM Addfwyn said

@DLemke I agree with this a lot, it does come down to taste to some degree, but I always find sandbox games so...empty. Giving someone a game world and being like 'hey, find something to do that is fun here' just has never been appealing to me. Whether that's an MMO or even a game like GTA, I just like my games to actually have a bit more structure and 'game' to them.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 11:50AM Tizmah said

@Addfwyn There just hasn't been a proper Sandbox.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 6:31AM Channel84 said

After playing rift and quiting, i try out aion again because of the reactivation event. I must say i see quite a lot of improvement. I'm also glad to come back to aion again. For me i find more appeal to the aion lore and world than rift. That's just me

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 10:55AM spamero said