Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:20AM Bottleskup said

Thank you ArenaNet for making the MMO we have been waiting for, and for putting jumping in it, can't wait for release.

Special thanks to the community officers or whatever it is they like to be called; Regina Buenaobra and Martin Kerstein, for keeping us informed and excited for so long.

Thank you Aeralik from SOEs EQ2, for your very entertaining bug-abusing, strat-leaking, corrupt dev ways. It was very very funny and gave me some more reasons to quit.

Thank you Jagex for bringing back free trade and the wilderness, and thank you Mod Jane for recognising world 148s superiority by comin to daemonheim for some banter. 148 pride.

Thank you Notch for existing.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:20AM hectik said

I personally would like to show some love to the game designer Ragnar Tørnquist and all of the developers over at Funcom for creating some of the most memorable games I have ever played including The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. You are a talented bunch indeed. I would also like to thank all of the people at EA DICE for creating the game that made me wan't to work in video games, Mirror's Edge. One of the most visually (and auditorilly) appealing games ever made in my opinion.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:26AM n3verendR said

Bethesda, Bioware, ArenaNet, and Blizzard have eaten away a significant section of my gaming Career. I loved every minute of it. Special thanks to CCP, because well - even though I never spent more than a month in EVE, I still had a blast.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:30AM Starry said

I appreciate Trion for putting QUALITY and customer support into their game development equation. I am hoping more developers follow your example. There are solid lessons to be learned with the successful launch of Rift.:)

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:47AM Zuljundwumn said

I appreciate Cryptic for... Nah, just kidding.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:02AM ZedFontaine said

Devs, hmm, Can I nominate myself? *chuckles* I think my favorite devs would have to be those from funcom, mainly the ones working on AO.

(p.s. Nice shot of There.com, heh, brings back MANY memories)

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:08AM Ziltod said

I really enjoy what CCP does with EvE. Always trying (if not succeeding) to make their game better. I like ArenaNet and Blizzard for being very smart.
Even though I dislike Rift, Trion did a very good job during beta -both developpement and support. From what I regularly hear and read, they still do.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:13AM Danteeeee said

I'd like to thank some lesser known developers, that deserve to be up here

Tripwire Interactive, for listening to customer feedback and providing constant fast bug patches while still keeping their game brilliant and allowing awesome mod support.

Too many Source Mod creators for giving their free time to create give the community free mods that are super awesome (not commercial mods)

Ensemble Studios, which sadly shut down, made my favourite game Age of Mythology, and while it was released were updating it and it got to a point of perfection, with no bugs at all. It was the most popular RTS game I've ever enjoyed. Especially the RPG Scenarios.

I know there are more but I can't think right now, just woke up.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:17AM (Unverified) said

None of the MMO devs. I appreciate CD Projekt though. I eagerly await their Witcher 2 and hope that it'll be as awesome as The Witcher was, only with a bit more awesome.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:39AM Beau Hindman said

Here's to the indie devs out there, too. Don't worry guys and gals -- keep it up and you'll be out of that cave soon! :)

Beau

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:39AM Nepentheia said

ArenaNet (and Jeff Strain). These folks are very professional, steadfast, level-headed, and they consistently deliver polished, stable, well-coded, high-quality games.

And Funcom (Anarchy Online) for creating Leets! Best. Thing. Ever! :-D

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:53AM DarkWalker said

First, Turbine. Love their development journals, and their game is the one I'm playing the most at this time.
I would also mention ArenaNet (for their decisions up to now on GW2's design goals), and, up to a point, SOE's DCUO team (they still have to really prove themselves on the bug and exploit fighting front, but at least they seem to be trying and hearing their player base).

Until the middle of 2010 Blizzard would be the first one for me, but after SC2's segregated Battle.net and lack of lan multiplayer, and the whole Cataclysm, they need to earn my trust again if I'm to resume buying their products. Not that I hate them, and about half their decisions I disagree with feel like they were pushed from the managers unto the developers, but making too many decisions I disagree with in a short span of time was a sure way to prematurely end my trust on them.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 12:35PM mechanicalturk said

@DarkWalker

I have almost the same sentiments toward Turbine, SOE for DCUO, and ArenaNet for GW2. Might have to add Funcom back to my list for Secret World. I am excited about the future for all of them.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 11:00AM paterah said

I appreciate Valve most of all, I just love how they listen to their community and pretty much love all their games. I also have high respect for CD Projekt and their relationship with the community and of course their service, GOG :)

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 11:13AM Dumac said

ArenaNet, i don't think i need to elaborate on reasons, trying something new with their games, exploring uncharted waters, generally having an image of a company that tries its best.

Now to be less predictable, im going to say Funcom. I don't actually play AoC or any of they other games, but they also strike me as a company that tries its best. Sure the AoC launch was poorly handled, but if they were another company, they'd have long forgotten the game and replaced it with something else. Instead they did their best to save it. And the occasional appearances of Craig Morrison here on massively help.

In the realm of single player there is Bethesda, one of the few companies that put me in awe with games, not marketing rhetoric.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 11:45AM Valdur said

Hats down to CCP and ArenaNet .

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 12:51PM wfseg said

CCP for being awesome.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 1:12PM wondersmith said

My thanks go to Turbine for bringing the worlds of Tolkien and D&D to life, popularizing the F2P business model in the West, and encouraging all play-styles from casual soloing to hardcare raiding.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 1:18PM wondersmith said

@wondersmith

I meant "hardcore raiding" of course. Where's the blasted edit button?

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 2:41PM (Unverified) said

Above all, CCP.

For all the whines and criticisms they have to put up with saying that they're ruining the game or they don't care about it anymore, etc, etc. Their vision remains ambitious and amazing and seemingly impossible. They truly seem to put a lot of heart into their product and they are in the position not to let ambition be overridden by a publisher or other investor say "rush it out, we can't afford perfection". What other developers talk seriously about ten year plans and fifty year games? Who else spends several years frustrating customers with glorious promises of ambulation, but doesn't actually roll it out until they feel they have reached the right level of experience and realism?

More importantly, who else throws a massive party with bands and comes out on stage and performs songs for their audience and dresses up and gets half naked on stage and is otherwise willing to put themselves out there for the entertainment of their fans? Who else lets their fans so far into their far-out-there plans (most developers hide from it, because there's a risk of players holding them to promises that were just ideas being thrown around). Who else takes their own game so seriously? Who else has their own 3D designers get into a boxing ring and play chess in front of a massive crowd (all streaming live over the internet) and then beats the hell out of each other, until blood flows?

CCP is imperfect. EVE is imperfect. But damn, they always manage to draw me back in. They ruin me for every other MMO I'd like to play. Their ideals and endeavors and ambitions are so awe-inspiring and magnificent that you easily get caught up in the dream.

I love a lot of developers. I love a lot of individual developers within companies, too. But above all, CCP makes me feel like a giddy day-dreaming twelve year old boy all over again.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014