Posted: Mar 27th 2011 1:39PM thedoommarine said

Good to see you finally got 30, I was level to level along with you until I got the Witcher on Steam. That game is consuming a lot of my time.

I'll catch up to you as soon as I'm done.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 2:03PM Jef Reahard said

@thedoommarine

That game was pretty addictive; looking forward to part two in May.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 2:44PM Dril said

So, is the game worth getting back into in terms of endgame content? I've recently given up RIFT after being crushingly disappointed by it and, whilst LOTRO is very good, I need something more.

I have a BS around 71 (and can probably hit 80 straight away thanks to offline levelling) so I'm curious for your thoughts. I have lots of time to spare so the grind isn't really much of a problem for me.

Cheers :)

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 11:20PM Heraclea said

@Dril

AoC is the only game I raid in. At least the Tier 1 and 2 raids are fairly entertaining. As the article suggests, the game loads a fair amount of complexity into its combat systems, which means that the raids themselves are fairly entertaining and for the most part let you play your character. Tier 3 is when it starts to get frustrating, and I've never seen Tier 4.

The only profession that helps you a whole lot in raiding is alchemist, and one alchemist can keep a stable of level 80s supplied without a great hassle.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 4:50PM (Unverified) said

I grok.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 5:30PM juanele said

It's so true about the melee combat system. I love it. It is probably the most fun I've played in an mmo (for reference I play an assassin). However, I know quite a few people who absolutely hate it. After I have played AoC a while it is really tough for me to go to any other mmo, as far as combat is concerned.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 6:00PM Mhaer said

Going from a demo to a BS must be a shock, haha. Bear Shaman is one of the more complex even amongst the melee classes. Then you add to that the extra pressure of healing and it is alot of stuff to balance.

Very fun though, and has some of the greatest fatalities. They start off slow though and gain power as you level more then other characters I have found (I felt very very weal in Tortage on my BS).

If you actually have a leveling group it might be a good idea to actually check out some of the mid level dungeons. I had like 4 level 80s and never even did some of them (forget the name but I think there is one near the entrance of Feild of the Dead I never did once). It would be interesting to see a rundown on some of them, since I think many of them are great, just sadly underused.

Another thing I would recommend that is a little off the normal quest chain progression of the zones is the Eleven Sacred Weapons of Hwanung. There is one of these ever five levels or so and they are pretty interesting quests. Plus you will end up with a solid weapon for your brand new 80 character.

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 10:16AM Jef Reahard said

@Mhaer

Yeah I definitely plan on doing some dungeons and reporting on them. AoC's mid-level content is fantastic. I was leveling with a couple of readers last week and we had planned on doing Black Castle in Stygia (hopefully this week as I'm almost 32 right now). I'd also like to do the Cradle of Decay in FotD if that's the one you're talking about, so I'll pug it if I don't have a group at that point.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 6:10PM xyna031 said

If i remember correctly i would say why the hell you would craft in AOC? LOL its even more boring then WoW crafting... Harvesting? Yeah the music in the harvesting zones is awesome, pvp? well they must have changed aloot in 6 months in pvp to be fun...
PVE? I would choose that one thing, maybe the only correct thing they changed was the lack of pve content now theres alooooooot and good too(except the kithai grindfest).

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 6:19PM juanele said

@xyna031

I haven't played in a couple of months. I thought they lessened the Khitai grind. I do think the dungeons there are fantastic though, it was just such pita to find a group for them.

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 10:18AM Jef Reahard said

@xyna031

As of today the Khitai grind remains. They have added faction marks to the veteran reward vendors, but supposedly the grind itself is going to be substantially mitigated in the upcoming patch. Funcom has yet to give specifics though.

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 8:13AM Xelendar said

Jeff, small question:

Since you're playing with male BS, can you confirm if Funcom already fixed the "comboskipping" issue?

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 10:12AM Jef Reahard said

@Xelendar

Tbh I'm not sure what issue that is. Prior to my BS, I hadn't really paid much attention to the melee system since I rolled a sin at launch, but if you send me a message with the details, I'll try and find out for you.

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 4:34AM Xelendar said

@Jef Reahard

Tbh i can't state the proper combos to do it, i played little time with the BS and stopped playing AoC in the past year.

But the basic idea on this is, you execute a long duration combo and about half-way through the animation you skip it with another skill or with a sidestep. Translation: you deal full dmg with a incomplete combo.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 12:21PM Jef Reahard said

@Xelendar

Ah right. Unfortunately Funcom doesn't talk much about that (they view it as calling attention to an exploit). That said, I have talked to a few people who say that it's still doable in some cases.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 1:04PM Xelendar said

@Jef Reahard

Yeah, thought so.

Thanks for the info, unfortunelly that "exploit" ruins the pvp side of the game for some of the classes... it always seemed awkward to me the manpower FC spends on improving the content of the game, but still delays fixing the many issues afecting PVP... :(

PS Offtopic - it would be nice if there was a "delete" option for erasing dual posts. :-X

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 12:57PM Xelendar said