Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:22PM johnmatthais said

"I will bet that there are no MMOs (Allods?) that feature multiplayer, real-time ship combat."

Actually, Starquest Online has it, and in some form or another, so does Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

Anyways, yeah, I found Y!PP fun back in the day when the community was thriving and there were chat circles EVERYWHERE. Nowadays, it just doesn't seem as active, and I've had a hard time during returns to the game. Admittedly, one of my favorite things about the game was the Inn. Always was fun to sit around and socialize to a game of spades.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:26PM Beau Hindman said

@johnmatthais YES! Pirates of the Carribean had real gun aiming too. It's been too long since I played that! Thanks!

Watch the vid, though, and you'll see tons of players when I visit the inn. If not, I have a bunch of screens showing tons of people. Still, I am not familiar with the old haunts of the game, though, so I might just be seeing a clump of humanity.

Beau

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:31PM Beau Hindman said

@johnmatthais By the way, now I am looking at Starquest Online. Any advice?

Beau

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:48PM johnmatthais said

@Beau Hindman I actually haven't played that one much, myself. I tried it once years ago, but otherwise, all I can say is what I was told to do in my attempts at coming back the other day:

1. Read the Wiki (Galactopedia)
2. Make a Terran character first
3. Get aboard the UAS Michigan (the player-run training vessel)

And out of what I've read, expect a small, dedicated core community that enjoys basic roleplay, mostly dealing with military and diplomatic relations.

OH! and the forums are FILLED with politics, so if you want to get a feel for what kind of conflicts are going on before diving in, then there's your chance.

And, of course, expect to only be able to play free for 30 days. :D

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 2:09AM kasapina said

There are doubloon servers, which are completely free. Instead of paying for a subscription, you pay for doubloons, which are a currency that enters the game through real-world purchase, but can be traded between players and aren't hard to obtain. Said doubloons are used to buy subscription - related stuff, for example clothes that are better than the most basic ones, houses, ships, badges and pets.

As for my experience with the game, I am fond of it and have returned to it several times, making a new character every time I'm back. I love the carpentry, and some of the other puzzles as well, but I tend to change games often, so I've never stuck around for more than ~2 months, which is a longer amount of time than most games usually manage to keep me for. The ship battles (the battle navigation puzzle) are awesome, I wish there were more of those - it's a system whose disappearance I've lamented ever since playing Sid Meyer's Pirates. Housing is also fun, especially given all the options you have - one of the best implementations I've seen, frankly. I remember banding with three other players I barely knew on my 2nd or 3rd time playing the game, pooling our money together and buying a 40k house after touring the huts that we could afford, then deciding who gets which room and staying roommates for the entire time until I stopped playing.

I dislike puzzle games in general, but I do like Puzzle Pirates.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:30PM Carolina said

I just had to go back and play this game after the live stream of it. I love puzzle games, and wish they would place them in other games too. Even the "durability game" is EQ was more entertaining then gathering and waiting for a bar to fill.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:37PM (Unverified) said

I wouldn't compare the sword-fighting to Tetris. I think both this and the original sailing puzzle are way more like Columns and the Bilging puzzle is obviously a Bejeweled clone where you switch pieces in a different direction.

The carpentry puzzle is great; I don't know what its inspiration is, other than a distant relation to Tetris (the pieces aren't tetriminoes...perhaps pentaminoes?) and this minigame has recently been copied in TLCo's Oregon Trail on Facebook.

I've really enjoyed my yearly Puzzle Pirates relapses since 2004 but there are some things that I'd guess they still haven't fixed in the last year. The communications bar needs to be way more prominent. Young players (and idiots of all ages) don't see important messages.

And finally, I've seen a problem with not enough players, every time I've ever subscribed or purchased doubloons. I've never been that great at navigating a sea battle so I rely on those who DO excel in it, and I often can't find a voyage when I want one. Related to this: I HATE waiting on a large ship for enough players to join a pillage. It is SO annoying and half the time the skipper eventually gives up after an hour and you have waited there for nothing.

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 1:53AM Killerham said

@(Unverified) Yes, population is horrible. Another downside to what you said is that the Officer in Command may rush out of port with less pirates than he should have. This can completely ruin a pillage because people can hop on and off constantly, you cant rely on the minimum amount to sustain the ship.

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 1:50AM Killerham said

This is my favorite MMO of all time! Been playing on and off for about 6 years. I would still have a subscription on the sub servers if the population was not so low. Often it can be below 200 players online at a time and at the same time for Sea Monster Hunts in Atlantis you need almost 70 players on one boat! Doubloon servers are not much better, sadly.

Other than population issues this is my favorite game of all time. You should write a little bit about the player run economy, not many other games come near it. It is sort of like a baby EVE. (Used to be even more hardcore with no universal pocket, you used to have to put money in the bank or risk transporting it.)

Arr!

~Yellowboots (Midnight Ocean)

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 3:06AM Linkinparkey said

I have played this game, and I've never before come across a more entertaining and lasting game... Usually, when you play other games, you can play it for perhaps a year at max... I have now played puzzle pirates for 5 years, and I'm still not done exploring the features of the game...
Also, this is a co-op game in all aspects... Whatever you do, you will automaticly interact with other players, which I personally miss when I play other games, where you just grind quests or shoot the head of the others... Teamwork in puzzle pirates is essential, and it's awesome!

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 4:24AM Gowron said

Hi, I be Gowron of the Midnight ocean, 5 year player. Very good write-up of YPP. But I would like to point out a few things you may not know or forgot to mention.
1. There is always a moderator called an Ocean Master(OM) that works for 3-Rings online to watch the game play
2. No swear words are allowed or offensive ones. These show up as yellow or red as you type messages.
3. If you are new to the game, you have a green name(greenie), also known as a newbie,noob, etc. As a greenie, you will see most names in yellow but there are some, such as me that have names in pink. This means we are 'on duty' as 'greeters' and will help out greenies with knowledge of the game.
4. There are different chats available as you go up in rank. On Midnight, a subsciption ocean, you must be subscribed to get past 'cabin person' and 'pirate' ranks. Also newbies that aren't subbed can only play certain games on certain days, are not allowed to wear certain articles of clothing.
5. There are crews you can join(which is highly recommended), Some are more active than others. In njoining a crew, you will see that it is usually part of a 'Flag' a collection of crews, Flags have Royalty, such as Kings and Queens, and so on.
6. There are politics in this game, and I have seen flags come apart because of it.
7. There used to be or are YPP meet-ups in the Real World(RL) and there have been some good relationships because of YPP. People have even gotten married in game and in RL, because they met up in the game

Hope this has helped a bit more for those who want to understand the game. It is a fantastic game and I have made many friendships over the years.

I am known as 'Gowron' of the Midnight Ocean, Senior Officer of the crew, Captivated Spirits, member of the Flag, Delightfully Demented. Come and say 'Ahoy', and to those that have never played, I am always 'On Duty', so if you come and play, look me up and i will help.

Fair winds to ye,

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 8:29AM Beau Hindman said

@Gowron Coo, thanks for the info! I have heard about the meetups and they sound like a blast. Mainly because players could bring basic laptops/netbooks and play each other right there. So cool!

Beau

Posted: Mar 28th 2011 8:49AM Linkinparkey said

@Gowron

This isn't meant to be a guide for new players, but rather an appeticer for people who would like to try out the game ;)

Posted: Apr 4th 2011 10:00PM karnisov said

little orientation info for anyone interested in playing. choose your server based on what you want, higher average maturity level among players or free. if you want the higher maturity players try a server like Midnight. it is a "subscription" server but you can still do stuff as a free player. if you want to do everything for "free" (time investment still required) try a doubloon server like Viridian or Sage. be warned the community is of lower quality on the doubloon servers than the subscription servers.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 10:45AM (Unverified) said

This review inspired me to give YPP a try, on midnight server. The puzzles were good, and I even got a pillaging mission with some other folks last nights.

My two issues with the game:
1) the UI is very, very small on my 1900x1020 display. I couldn't find a way to scale it up. /squint

2) my one foray into playing with other folks (pillaging) relied very much on the two "clickie twitchie" games I suck at: gunning, and boxing. I'm good-to-excellent at the other games... fast brain, slow fingers. I'd really be looking forward to more grouping missions, but I feel like I don't have the twitch to be a good team member.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 10:52AM (Unverified) said

This review inspired me to give YPP a try, on Midnight server. The puzzles were good, and I even got a pillaging mission with some other folks last night.

My two issues with the game: