Posted: Mar 26th 2011 8:43PM (Unverified) said

Spiral Knights is refreshing game.
It plays a lot like the original 2D Zelda games. A ton of fun.

I figured I should put this out there. The game is compatible with gamepads. Makes for a much smoother playing experience. One of my gamepads didn't even need configuring. Was just play and go.

If I were to compare this game to anything it would be gameplay mechanics of the Zelda games and the dungeon style of Phantasy Star Online / Universe. Very very nice combination for an MMO.

Posted: Mar 26th 2011 9:26PM Vazzaroth said

I agrre about playing like Zelda. I think that's why I like it. I havn't played too much ( I tend to forget I installed a game if I don't put it on my Steam library list o_o;) but the art style is AMAZING! The crafting sounds awesome. For what it is, it seems fun, and I'll have to try it out even more soon since I got into the beta from Massively here :D

Also I'll have to try my gamepad. I switched from mouse to WASD controls and, for the first time, I wasn't sure if I liked it better. I bet gamepad is best.

Posted: Mar 26th 2011 10:42PM (Unverified) said

Per the comment about the crystals. You can only carry one to the elevator on each level, where they then fall into your inventory, the idea being to carry the biggest one possible back with you. Once back in town, you dump them in the "under construction" dungeons, and the colors affect what type of floors appear in that dungeon when it completes. It's a neat system that actually gives the players a little bit of control over where they will be grinding next. I've only played for a day or two, but this is what I've gleaned from my short time playing so far.

Posted: Mar 26th 2011 10:58PM Beau Hindman said

@(Unverified) Ah, THAT'S why they were disappearing. I must have missed the explanation of that part. VERY cool. I like the fact that the game was keeping track of the levels as the crystals seemed to fill up.

Thanks!

Beau

Posted: Mar 26th 2011 11:12PM Kaemin said

I was lucky enough to jump into this game for a bit and yes it was quite fun and it has an old school sega feeling to it. which really made me nerd out on this one.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 5:22AM mattwo said

Edward an admin from the Phantasy Star Universe boards gave out a few keys. I missed em tho.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:13AM bobfish said

Its quality, played like Zelda a link to the past and has that Phantasy Star Universe feel to it as well. Every now and then you get a piece of music that sounds like its going to go off into the PSU score, its sweet.

Also, its got the whole Facebook monetisation system in it. You basically have 100 energy each day that can be spent on crafting or adventuring, when it expires you have the choice to buy more energy for real money, trade in-game currency for more or wait until the next day when you will have 100 free energy again. So there is no item shop where you can buy power, like most free to play games. It is a very good system I think for giving you access to the game and letting those who want to spend money, spend it.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 8:28AM Apakal said

I'm surprised you didn't mention the energy system. Its a critical part of the game. So I'll be a chum and sum it up here.

Energy makes the world go round. You use it to power the elevators, for crafting, to revive yourself and your party, etc. etc. etc.

You get two kinds of energy; Mist Energy and Crystal Energy. Mist Energy (ME) caps out at 100 and refills slowly over time (I think it takes 24 hours, maybe longer to go from 0 to 100).

Crystal Energy (CE) is unlimited, and essentially supplements ME. CE is available to for purchase from the in-game store or you can trade Crowns for it (Crowns are the game currency you collect as you adventure). And there's an interesting third way to get CE. You can buy it from other players again for Crowns.

And also interestingly, excess energy can be swapped back for Crowns. This system is dynamic. You might get over 3000 Crowns for 100 Energy one minute and only get 1900 or so the next. I'm not really sure how the system determines the conversions.

To give an example of energy cost, crafting generally takes 100 Energy, higher level items might take more. I'm not sure. I never made a 3-star or higher item. Elevators cost 10 Energy to descend to the next level. Reviving yourself increases the more times you die. It starts off at 2 Energy, then 4, 10, 20, 40 and so on and so forth.

You can burn through your Energy real fast. Fortunately 1600 Energy (which is a lot in my opinion) only cost $4.99. Or as mentioned, you can pay with Crowns. You could never pay real money to play the game obviously, but very good items and recipes can be bought with Crowns and are pretty expensive, so supplementing your supply is very beneficial.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:10AM (Unverified) said

@Apakal

In all honesty I love this system. As of right now I see no reason to implement a full fledged cash shop if the CE system works out profitable.

The energy system is limiting but not limiting enough to make the game unplayable from what I've seen.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:25AM Beau Hindman said

@Apakal Cool, thanks. I really didn't know how the system worked, being that I just kept jumping in and out of dungeons all night. lol

Beau

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 9:59AM Apakal said

@Beau Hindman

Cheers! You need to do a Livestream and we can whack some oozes together.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 3:46PM The Ogre said

Hmm. I could see myself spending a fair amount of time, and $5 here and there, in this game (and, in fact, am in there right now :P). Definitely have to see when it goes live on the 4th...

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 4:58PM Apakal said

@The Ogre

If you're playing now and/or registered before today, you get to get a headstart and can actually jump in and start playing on April 1st!

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 5:46PM The Ogre said

@The Ogre

One bad thing about the game, at least now during the beta, is it's opening Internet Security Hole, er, Explorer when it exits to send you to a 3rd-party survey site. NOT good practice by any means.

Also, its installation to %appdata% when installing from the site and marking the downloadable installer (which lets you put the game anywhere) as something to download if you have problems is also fairly bad. It means that each person on the machine is going to end up with thier own unnecessary copy, never a good thing.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 6:46PM (Unverified) said

@The Ogre

I have never experienced the survey pop-up after exiting like you said. Interesting though.

I do see your point with the %appdata% situation though. Considering the game is 450 MB or so. I believe most java based games do this though. Not many other ways to do it I think.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 7:04PM Beau Hindman said

@The Ogre I thought the survey popup (although I do not remember it being a pop up) was that it was just a customer/beta survey. I fill it out every time, and all of my scans have come back clean.

It was hosted on a third-party site, but I've seen that before.

Beau

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 7:28PM (Unverified) said

@Beau Hindman
I think he was more referring to that it opens in IE compared to your default browser. I think that's what he was getting at, at least.

Posted: Apr 10th 2011 2:48AM InkSix said

Loving the game at the moment. It's a great game to dungeon explore with friends.