Posted: Mar 24th 2011 3:48PM The Ogre said

@The Ogre (oh, and the gift cards have overhead, so I'd effectively be paying $19 per month instead of $15, which would definitely suck)

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 12:28PM LordBeefy said

SWG's greatest vulnerability as regards ToR lies in the class experience and the fact they're both P2P games.

It has no class exclusive story or companions and people still hold KOTOR in high regard for its delivery of the Jedi gameplay experience.

Now you might say "well the story will end sometime" but the flow of fresh content will be greater in a newer, better supported product meaning more for your $15 a month.

I don't think SWG will be killed outright by ToR to begin with but the population will decline and that can lead to people leaving to play other games in search of a more active community.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 12:31PM Daemodand said

Galaxies' Entertainer is perhaps the single most innovative class any MMO will ever see. The class is a partial failure (Entertainers were most notable for how people AFKed them for the longest time) but still possess many unique elements that unfortunately have been cast aside by more recent MMOs.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 1:54PM Lateris said

SWG crafting system is still the best design I have seen in any MMORPG which is a Pre NGE design. Plus the fact that one class such as the "Entertainer" has really nothing to do with combat in a major way except buffs is pretty darn cool. It really serves as another type of design for social aspects that help fellow players besides a healer class. It is too bad they took away Medic. Even though I preferred the skill system of the Pre NGE what Dead Meat did with SWG was give the SWG community a lot of attention that was neglected by SOE and Lucas Arts.

The SWG community are die hards and surprisingly most are not hardcore Star Wars fans. Just because it is Star Wars doesn't mean anything to gamers. EA needs to understand that. Soe learned the hard way and their game shave been dumbed down since SWG.

This existing fan base likes the game play and the design. Roleplayers flock to SWG because of the vast world design, player houses, interaction with assets that you can place in player cities such as space ships, cantinas, etc. And most of all the player driven design system for quest and other assets. SWG Modders redo the entire textures into DX 10 and add the death star in the sky over endor. Despite the BS that was the NGE, SWG has really made some strides for the existing player base since Dead Meats time with SWG.

This update is for the entertainers and looks to be a pretty good one. At least it is not as far fetched as the zombie update...still I wish SOE would make a classic server.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 2:53PM Space Cobra said

I understand it has a good community on particular servers and is a true sandbox in a true sense and not the sand-beach that I see in Eve.

I haven't been on this in years, but I may try to return to check things out.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 8:07PM Lateris said

@Space Cobra I would suggest Star Sider since the servers have merged a few years ago. It has an active community for space, RP, faction pvp, and pve.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 4:56PM uberman3000 said

SWG would explode if they would go F2P IMO. Why they won't do it is beyond me. EQ2 has an option so why not SWG. Id play SWG again if it was F2P. Its an ok game still by todays standards, the Jump to Light Speed part is really fun.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 4:58PM uberman3000 said

Oh and I do not care about the Entertainer...

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 9:22PM mysecretid said

Much thanks to everyone who offered their opinions regarding my initial question.

Massively is one of the few places where one can still have a non-hostile discussion comparing opinions (on the good days, anyway :-) ), and I guess that's why I still continue to post here.

If I wanted to get screamed at, or insulted, for offering an opinion on gaming, or for asking a question about games, if sure there are several hundred websites I could go visit. :-)

So, thanks again everyone for a reasonable discussion. I saw some points of view which would never have occurred to me on my own, and that in itself justifies asking my question. Cheers!

Why I Play: ArcheAge