Posted: Mar 24th 2011 6:08PM Luk said

Even though I am not Cryptic fan, I gave CO F2P a try and surprisingly it was much better than what I remember from a year ago. I did not miss the free form at all and after playing the game for quite a while I decided to actually spend some money on the game as a token of appreciation.

This is when I discovered that while the prices are not as outrageous as in some other F2P games, most of the things in CO cash shop were either not worth the price or plain useless. Besides that, you can purchase Atari points only in ranges of 500s while the items in CS cost either a little over or under that amount, so you can never buy or spend as much as needed, always have to overspend because of that price mismatch. Maybe I am wrong, but that looks like was done on purpose. Shame on you Cryptic, again.

Another point, according to the prices in CS 500 points should cost around $6.25 right? Nope, for some reason they charged tax on top of it as well, something that is not mentioned before you buy it. Is it even possible to charge taxes on something that is virtual and doesn't exists outside of the game? I guess shame on me this time since I did try to actually spend some money on the game from a company that is not famous for its integrity.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 6:31PM Caskio said

@Luk You are only charged tax in some states in the US and of course VAT in the EU.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 6:35PM Zuljundwumn said

I spent so much money on the C-store when the game was still under subscribtion model... I felt robbed when they began to put new costumes on C-store despite not doing any meaningful update for such a long time.
And now... The C-store is totally full of useless and overpriced items.
The lightspeed power not availaible for free was the last stab in the back of a long serie.

the worst thing is thoses videos they put online to brag about the stuff they added to the game : "Yeah we fixed bugs. And the power tooltips can now be read by humans. Oh, and we fixed powers that have been useless since release."

F you Cryptic, you deserve all my hatred.
It's just a game, but I spent a lot of money on it, believing you would actually do a decent job.

"Cryptic's development philosophy is to create unique, high quality MMO games on 18 to 24-month cycles"

... Add 12 month to that. Oh, wait, crafting is still a mess.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 12:06AM Samael said

• 1 heart
@Zuljundwumn

Well, that kinda sucks. But after everything that Cryptic has done with CO and STO, you expected them to be anything other than what they are now? The only thing they understand is money, they have no integrity, or passion for games or anything close to that.

They are the bottom of the barrel. The hate and loathing I have for them is not for civilized society. If they can figure out how to cheat you from more money they will.

When they first announced their F2P thing, they had no Points system for subscribers. They announced it a little after, and acted like they did everyone a huge favor. That is what I really hate about them.

Alas, I was as foolish as you were, thought they would get better, so I went and got myself a LT sub. Wish I did not. That game, nor any game from those baboons, will never see a single byte of its data on my hard drive ever again. I learned my lesson, and I will not let them trick me again.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 6:41PM madcartoonist said

Just keep it cheap. I am a super sucker for things when they don't cost much (like 5 and under). I thought the whole point of micro transactions is that a person will end up spending more int he long run because they they will talk themselves into small purchases over big ones. I have a VIP account for lotro and I still buy things from the store when it is on sale. And I very much agree that things like cosmetic items should be cheap. And why limit the number of outfits a character can save? The more costume slots the more likely I am going to be buying cosmetic item from the store.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 7:47PM madbassman39 said

I'm irritated that all the costume pieces that I used when I had a sub are not available to me as a free to play player. There should be a middle ground that you should have every costume piece that was free and available to subscribers before the F2P switch should have those costume pieces available to them afterwards. I have no problem limiting the F2P costume options, but I can't convert my old characters without either changing their costumes and losing my alternate costumes, or paying for it. I like Champions, I really enjoy the game, but I can't justify paying for it at the moment. As a returning player, a purchaser of the box, I should be entitled to a little more than the basic f2p option.

LotRO did it right, and Cryptic should have actually tried to copy their plan.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 12:10AM Samael said

@madbassman39

That is cause the developers at Turbine, look at how to make the game good for their players, at the same time, they look at how to monetize their game.

People at Cryptic only look at how they can bleed their customers dry. So don't expect them to be Turbine, they never will be.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 1:24AM Utakata said

Real Superheroes would never use MT's. Just saying.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 5:18AM Tazmanyak said

All cryptic cash shops are overpriced.
I only play CO, but threw an eye in STO one ... amazing how spaceships are expensive oÔ

But, coming back to CO ...
I agree with patrick but on one point: more expensive items should be 5$
Globally, all items in cash shop prices should be divided by 2!

Some by 3, or 4 maybe (retcon, sigh ... it's an organized robery :p)

I was really happy to see community reaction and boycot of the costume slots. Not sure this will help us in any way :/
Cryptic wants suscription + CS: they do suppose every customer has to pay 30$ a month, i suppose?

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 6:16AM BadTrip said

"Microtransactions make lots of money for the publisher and focus more on pleasing the game's core audience instead of relying on the silent majority of its subscriber base"
This is a huge assumption on a number of levels laced with undertones of classism. The first assumption is about who a game's core audience is, the second is what their preferences are. Using the term 'silent majority' has political connotations of oppression and is a transparent attempt to rekindle a little bit of the ridiculous argument that F2P is somehow more democratic for players and those who don't like the F2P movement are anti-poor or something.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a movement like F2P, with talking points so obviously a brainchild of some marketing department, have so many industry 'journalists' hopping up and down, helping them milk an industry. Using classism and cries of democracy is a stroke of genius considering what's been happening in the US, but that battle is only valid in the real world, not when we're talking about $15-$19 per month.

The only fact in the statement is "Microtransactions make lots of money for the publisher" and it's obvious what their effect is on the games. I'm glad Turbine and LotRO, the darling of the F2P movement, were brought up earlier because LotRO is an excellent example of what the developer is encouraged to create under the F2P model.... where is the new content? Where is the new land? Where is Rohan and mounted combat? Did Frodo decide he was better off staying in Rivendell for the duration or is he just lost in the item mall picking up gold rings and power ups?

It's true that microtransactions encourage developers, but what they encourage them to develop is micro-content. If they sell health potions in the cash shop it encourages them to spend resources adjusting the balance of old dungeons to create more potion sales, not figuring out the 'to-hit' chance of an arrow fired from a mount. The return on investment of making a copy of the green and yellow dress in red and blue is about 1000 times greater than writing new story content or expanding the virtual world and you can bet your life that there won't be anything new or innovative coming from Turbine/LotRO other than financial models. Why would there be? They no longer have to build something enticing enough to keep a subscription going for a year, the dev costs of the game and even most of the F2P conversion were already paid for by subscribers - it's free to get in, so it's best for them at this point if you just stay for a week and spend $10 in their cash shop for copies of a few 3MB files. You spend the $10 and the deal is done for them - they owe you nothing. A Legendary Item is 795 TP on the Bullroarer store - roughly $10

*** Even though $10 is 2/3 of the cost of a one month content and story filled subscription, you are now being asked to trade $10 for a one time transfer of 3 MBs, for just one of your characters. Except there isn't even a transfer - everyone already had the file on their PCs already or they couldn't see you using it. So what did you get?***

You got swindled - and apparently in F2P land there are parades for this. When looked at this way you'd almost think the journalists should be a little more responsible before leading a legion of kids who don't know a dollar from a pack of gum marching happily towards a world where it's ok for publishers to ask for money for this type of thing. I guess maybe you're trying to prepare them for learning about why they don't own the DVD they just bought, maybe you were sick during economics, I don't know - when I buy a game, I buy the experience and story, not just assets and the opportunity to buy more assets.

I'm not letting the Legendary weapon thing slide either. Turbine went from swearing the store would only hold non-game affecting cosmetic items, to selling transportation, healing and leveling buffs to now releasing all of the Legendary Weapons (work hard and they'll grow with you, remember?) in the item shop. People worked months on those - it took dedication and a fair bit of knowledge of the game. Now some kid with their Dad's credit card and no knowledge other than where the LotRO Store is can just buy one. Not only that, but with the new system, even Lifetime subs have to spend Turbine Points to convert and maintain the weapons they already have. *That* is the effect of F2P on one of the most beautiful AAA MMOs to come out in years by one of the most respected publishers in the industry with a game that was already earning money and all kinds of awards.

So there's your FTP revolution - take your money for nothing but make your chick for free. Have fun with it.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 1:05PM Utakata said

@BadTrip

I believe I mentioned that MT's and F2P's gives you an illusion of having choice. When in fact you don't. Especially if you lack funds.

There is also the issue (and one that bothers me the most) of making players more equal than other players. That is, you don't funds to buy that costume piece or Sparkle Pony, yet every other player characters are running around with it. After a bit you start to feel like a second rate player, because there's nothing you can do ingame to get that. Thus the reward is not based on your skill but on how fat and priveledge'd your wallet is. But the player having that costume piece or Sparkle Pony is somehow better than you.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 8:34AM Valkesh said

"However, microtransactions can quickly feel like exploitation" Because in nearly every case to date, they are. You're support and view on this model are a shining model of naivete at best, and striking ignorance at worst. Either way, it's a blight on not just the MMO scene but the gaming industry as a whole...

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 8:36AM Valkesh said

@Valkesh
and damn it, I put a typo in you're/your. Edit buttons would be nice. Cutting this off before weak attempts to attack grammar emerge.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 10:00AM Waxil said

What exactly did you think would happen once F2P/freemium/MT came to the west and developers realized the potential? All it does is encourage them to make playing the game for free as tedious as possible so that people pour in far more than $15/month in micro-transactions.

This is the fault of gamers for supporting this model though, by continually showing them that it works and is profitable you are slaying one time fee and subscription games and telling developers you will reward them more for producing worse/more tedious/more imbalanced/etc games.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 3:22PM absolutturkey said

Did people already forget the reason why these P2P mmos went F2P? It was because these games weren't good enough to maintain a large enough player base. Just because a boring game is free, doesn't change the fact that it's still boring.

Posted: Mar 26th 2011 2:08PM snakewildlife said

You might wanna edit this with a piece of interesting information i have for you, furthering the point about the insanely high price Triumphant recovery worth around $6 for 10 revives... the game already have a infinitely craftable resurrection device called the Servitor Serum, stacks in 3's as much as you like...

The servitor serum btw, is "2 global" in-game in Auction house, less than 5 minutes work. You can get 250 global in less than 3 hours with the right know-how. How many resurrections is that...

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 11:27AM Arcadian said

Mackey, ever the Cryptic shill, penning 2000 words on why Free For All not being actually free is a good thing for everybody involved.

It's good for Cryptic. It's terrible for anyone who is actually paying money for the "freemium" model. Game journalists used to call that "Bait and switch" and "Give the razor away, charge for the blades."

Now it's "A microtransaction item should be something I want to buy, and if it's not something I want to buy, it should be something that I can see the value of."

I feel so terribly sorry for anyone who bought the game ($50), paid for a subscription ($15 a month), and then saw the good stuff put in the C-Store for even more money. But this is the future of gaming, apparently.

And Our Man Mackey is all for the model. It does indeed "feel like exploitation" because it is exploitation.

And you're aiding and abetting.

Have a nice day.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 12:43PM Arcadian said

@Tempes Magus

Hardly. Done with the game, subscription is up. after it was clear "Free" was anything but. I'm having a good laugh on my silver account taking Cryptic for everything free they'll give me and not getting a dime of my money in return. Had a cheapy game card that I activated to try out gold. I was disgusted as I quickly remembered why I left in 2009.

Known plenty of other golds who have dropped to silver just to stick it to these greedy idiots, who want you to pay not once (for the game), not twice (for the gold sub) but dozens of times (for the c-store).

If I play and don't pay, Cryptic loses. I'm costing them money, and so are the rest of the non-paying silvers out there. We have a good time too.

Gonna ride this gravy train until it crashes.

Posted: Mar 30th 2011 12:37AM (Unverified) said

F2P is pretty disappointing. It feels like you might as well just subscribe if you're really interested in playing.

The free selection of ATs is pathetic and the "premium" ATs are pricy at a little over $12 each, the selection of free costume parts is severely gimped. You don't get any free costume slots (well, except for the SG one) and the purchased slots only unlock for ONE character. The slashed down choices for travel powers are ridiculous (they make you buy almost all the travel powers now and they cost almost 500 each!) And seriously everything is really expensive! One of the few things that's probably worth the price are the Adventure Packs... and that's just barely. The enormous cost of character slots and retcons is really just insult to injury.

If they were capable of feeling shame, they would be smothered.

When did the microtransaction cash get so expensive? Am I mistaken or didn't it used to be $5 for 500? Now it's $6.25? And the way they make everything cost uneven ammounts is just dirty pool. But they've been doing that since before F2P so it's kinda late to be complaining.

To end on a positive note, supposedly they are going to be doing comic arcs that are like the STO Feature Episodes. Maybe that will be cool.

Posted: Apr 1st 2011 6:03PM Tazmanyak said

@(Unverified) i so much agree with you too ...
overpriced is right. We're not far away from robery ...
And most astonishing is, even if you're a suscriber, you'll heve to drop a few more bucks each month in the cash shop.

Fair price?
Considering price of their items, not less than 1k cryptic points per 5$.
More funny?
Euro players pay 20% more!
And, for cryptic, 1€=1$