Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 11:58AM Valdamar said

I may not have played CoH much in the past year (thanks to Guild Wars then RIFT), but I agree with everything you say about the lower level revamp. That old CoH content looked bad compared to CoV's content, so I can only imagine how outdated it feels now compared to GR's newbie content.

And I just realised that now I have a new PC I may be able to play CoH again at something approaching a playable framerate (for some reason even though I never used ultra-mode on my old PC, the issue that introduced ultra-mode completely destroyed my framerate everywhere and made Going Rogue's Praetoria a totally unplayable slide-show) - now I just need RIFT to let go its hold on me before GW2 arrives and I should have some time for CoH.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 12:49PM SkyStreak said

I find myself wondering if the I20 NDA might have have been about something that has been dropped or shelved for the time being.

Although, givne the status of NDAs, I'd be shocked that nothign was leaked as of yet.... Then again, it was an officla *signed* NDA, so people may be nervous about leaking.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 1:31PM J Brad Hicks said

Given how thin i19 was, I think you're on to something.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 3:16PM Kcirrot said

@J Brad Hicks

Issue 19 didn't seem particularly 'thin' to me. Three new story arcs, a major new system & two TFs is as big or bigger than:

Issues 4, 6 (the free stuff), 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.

Now: @Eliot Lefebvre

"Oh, sure, you know enough about the system to know that a flat recharge increase for every single power is a huge boost in power. But in your heart of hearts, do you really want that if you've heard about the later slot that lets you shoot fire from your eyes no matter what your archetype is?"

In MY heart of hearts, I'll take my Spiritual Core Paragon over any of the Judgment powers any day of the week.

Substance > Flash

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 3:28PM Scarecrowe said

Although it's completely unrelated, I just got a chuckle out of the NDA that was shamelessly and repeatedly breached way back when City of Villains was in beta and Enhancement Diversification was being prepped to be rolled out Hero-side. And sure, this change wasn't related to PvP at all. Whatever. I'm glad Cryptic is out of the picture now.

More to the topic, I'd like to see the beginner zones for red-side re-done. I doubt they've even been touched since they debuted. There's really not a lot of options on where to go for which level bracket either. Although I admit that the playerbase is much smaller on the villain side so that likely drives the priority.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 5:02PM Raithnor said

I can understand wanting newer Level 1-20 Hero content but let's really look at what that means:

Getting out of the Hero Tutorial you're at least level 2,

Finishing the first contact/decent sewer team gets you to level 5-7.

Past level 5, you've got the Hollows which has been reworked or you have Kings Row and the Police Scanners/Safeguards.

Around level 14-15 you can start on Faultline which is usually good until 20-25. At that point you're in mid-game where they have been adding all of the Storyarcs.

My experience with City of Heroes is that it's very easy to blow through the first 20 levels. Even when you're are trying to experience all of the content.

It would be nice if there was a little more of a coherent storyarc Heroside, but let's be honest. How often would you play pre-20 versus 20-45 content? Anything becomes stale if you run through it enough times.

That being said: I would like them to go back and rework some of the city zones and make each zone more distinctive. The buildings are too copypasta compared to the Praetoria or even the Rogue Isles. They don't even have to change the layout of the city too much, just update the building skins and vary them more then they currently are.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 6:29PM (Unverified) said

"cue the disagreement that it focused too much on group content, which is a sentiment I've echoed before and is being addressed"

I'm at a loss to see how this is being addressed, given that every single piece of new content in I20 will be team based - either a task force or a raid.

Totally agree on theneed for a content revamp though. The original heroside content is generally dreadful - badly written, unfocused and very very repetitive. But the devs have again and again voiced their preference for making new content rather than fixing old, so I think the pro-revamp argument is already lost.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 11:55PM UnSub said

At this stage of CoH/V's existence, I can't see the lower level areas of Paragon City or the Rogue Isles getting a rework. They need it (and the novice trialist has a 33% chance of starting in content that is 7 years old, 33% chance of starting in content that is 5 years old and the remainder in starting in the most recent newbie zone) but the focus has been on retaining existing players, not getting new ones.

And existing vets can run the current low level zones very quickly, if they don't just head to the best farming missions in MA.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 12:20PM UnSub said

My mistake - I thought that trials offered a choice rather than automatically starting you in Praetoria.

By yes, doing the best, most recent stuff only to find it lasts less than half of your levelling journey is problematic.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014