Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 3:36PM Dblade said

@cray If you read manga and can find a scan, Blue Drop: Tenshi no Bokura addresses this, and shows how devastating and horrific such a world could be. The anime Geneshaft also does so, though maybe inadvertantly: imagine a world where men were rare, and considered so dangerous that they needed a female "governor" to always accompany them. Of course they are still made when male qualities are needed, other than that? All female.

What's sad about your post though is that skimpy dressing is not used in a conscious misogynist sense, but because guys love the female form. Thanks for showing how acceptable misandry is though.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2011 9:40AM Ozmodan said

A good example of this is TERA with ridiculous female caricatures. Of course the male ones are not much better. How can you play a game that looks so idiotic even if it supposedly has good gameplay?

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 4:00PM paterah said

@Ozmodan I guess we don't care much about that stuff like you nerds ;)

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 10:59AM Theodorus said

Don't believe I said "100%". I said "a large number". Frankly, it's always been kind of a mystery to me why they would sell both men's AND womens's magazines with essentially the same cover art.

But market research is, like, scientific and stuff.

As to your 100% comment, 100% of MEN don't like looking at buxom young women in skimpy outfits. But you can't lose money by selling it.

Posted: Mar 24th 2011 3:03PM (Unverified) said

Can anyone post a link to the fan who asked the question at BlizzCon and the response? I'm not a WoW player, so I missed this.

Posted: Mar 27th 2011 12:46PM zpardi said

Good article, thoughtful, well written and some points of merit. Most unfortunately however, it also smacks of the hype bandwagon all over again. You talk about how depressing it is that the industry has not moved past this...personally I think it's depressing that people still blog about this. It reminds me of an article over at eurogamer.net where someone pointed out how misogynistic the Capture The Flag (Capture the Babe) mode in the new Duke Nukem game is, because you have to smack the bottom of the 'babe' when she panicks so that you can keep her moving - completely forgetting the context of the game (the tongue-in-cheek Duke Nukem franchise) The parallels lie with the respective authors' inability to differentiate between fantasy and reality, and a simple case of whipping up social furor over an issue of relatively small significance.

As for personal experiences being too anecdotal to be an effective counter-argument , let me remind you that the basis of your article is on an anecdotal notion that this kind of thing seems offensive to a majority of female gamers. It's a two way street. The majority of gamer gals I know like to look good in real life, the same way they like to look good ingame. The fact that the ingame models are oversexed and unrealistic are a product of mainstream media culture, not an aberration of the gaming industry. Might I also remind you of the fact that a large percentage of MMO gamers are in fact female, and if this kind of thing was truly offensive to such a large percentage of the MMO demographic it would have been banished long ago. But guess what? It's not. Girls like to dress up, customize gear, be it sexy or not, and if anything more MMO's should have extensive avatar/clothing customization. I'll tell you one thing though, even if they did - we'd still see the same amount of well-endowed, thigh flashing, supermodel lookalikes running around as we do today.

And now I promptly make my exit stage left.

(cue enraged feminist response)

Posted: Mar 29th 2011 7:21AM (Unverified) said

Yeah it is stupid with females in skimpy bikini armor but it is equally stupid to have female warriors with the same capabilities as male warriors.

May not be politically correct to say so but men are stronger, faster and have higher endurance and toughness than females so while we are on the subject of realistic armor then why not go all the way and give female characters less str and constitutation as well?