Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 1:21PM Exz1stence said

not sure if they set the standard anymore. I might have to say that goes to Final Fantasy XIV but Age of Conan runs a 100x better then FFXIV. As for who is better. Well Age is awesome. I just hated how racist the players were. Don't think I have played a more racist game and yes that includes conversations with 12 year olds on xbox live. As for FFXIV its in extended beta until they can get it up to par. So you be the judge on that lol.
www.NobleNobody.com

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:02PM Lateris said

@Exz1stence We eliminated a lot of that factor on Wicanna by reporting them.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:47PM Grok said

@Exz1stence You know, I had the same exact experience in AoC. I've played just about every MMO out there and AoC's community was hands down the most offensive community I've ever had the misfortune of playing with. I don't know what it is about AoC that attracts that kind of player. Maybe the combination of boobs and blood... it's too bad, because the game is actually quite a bit of fun.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 4:01PM Exz1stence said

@Grok I would say calling it fun was an understatement. I don't think I have ever played a more atmospheric game. Between, story, acting, presentation, art work, and the soundtrack I couldn't get enough of that game but I found myself not able to focus due to the the hate I saw every time I glanced down at the chat log. Yeah you can ignore them but its no fun when half a gaming community is on ignore.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 1:45PM Nautius said

Beautiful video...

But what they didn't show were the characters running.

From my experience, the graphics engine now updates the terrain around you as if you are in a big movable bubble. Like the medium distance terrain becomes detailed as you approach it. Prior to this patch, I had no problems with the graphics and it was statically detailed. Meaning, I could see the detail mapping in place at long distances. Now, it creates detail "on the fly". And this is with the graphics maxed. I don't have a slow PC and I have a good graphics card (NVIDEA).

I loved... LOVED the graphics of AoC. It's my opinion that they have taken yet another step backwards.

And this patch brought more bugs with it as well. Which is par for every patch to fix previous issues.

Don't get me wrong... I want AoC to succeed. But this is another example of Funcom doing it's own thing and not listening to the player base to fix existing problems that are more immediate than a graphics engine.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 1:49PM Space Cobra said

Well, it's nice and alright looking...

...but it's not enough to bring me back, although Funcom doesn't want any old players back, so we are both winners (I save a sub fee and they save "valuable HD space!").

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 2:39PM Utakata said

The game looked really good without all this when I played it. I have difficulty imagining how it would look better when it's already great. Kudos to Funcom for doing this.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:02PM thedoommarine said

I play the game at max settings on DX10. This video doesn't even show half of it.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:04PM Lateris said

I have an ATI HIS 5850 and I have had no issues with this update.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:06PM doublerainbow said

This game just doesn't have the IT factor. It doesn't matter if their graphics engine is 10 years ahead of its time honestly. In the end it is the gameplay that matters.

I played this game on the trial and felt the game just wasn't fun for me. I really have to like an MMOG quite a bit to even consider playing it. Fortunately Guilds Wars 2, SWTOR, and others are coming out hopefully this coming fall and will help change the industry.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:09PM Dunraven said

I love AoC but it has the single worse community of any MMO period bar none. They are racist homophobic means spited and hateful.

And Funcom flat out refuses to take a stand against them because they are the only ones left playing.

It's sad because I would have stayed a loyal subscriber had they just to a hard line against the total wastes of skin.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 3:59PM Exz1stence said

@Dunraven Yeah I have to agree with you there Dun. I tried reporting and I have tried to play it numerous times on pvp and pve and its all the same. I hate to be "that guy' but that was the only game I have ever had this really be an issue. I mean you can't control people and everyone has their moments of stupidity, but gosh lol, AoC players took it to a new extreme.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 8:28PM thedoommarine said

• 1 heart
@Dunraven
Stop playing on Tryanny and learn what a joke is.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 9:27PM (Unverified) said

@Dunraven

I heard several people commenting about the bad, almost racist community. I think it's all on the US servers or pvp servers.

There were no problems like that at all on the EU servers, in fact it had some of the best communities in an MMORPG I encountered, especially the RP ones. Although true, the pvp servers in general are somewhat rougher.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 10:23PM Dunraven said

@thedoommarine I played on Wicanna and Hate speech is no Joking matter.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 10:32PM Dunraven said

@(Unverified) Right and I think that is why people in the U.S. feel that Funcom is basically neglecting them. EU recived a RP PVE server and they flat out refused to give one to the U.S. And the moderation is non existent on the U.S. forums and on the U.S. games...and playes have been more or less told that the AoC U.S. player base just isn't a priority for Funcom...so why should we buy their next game if they don't really give a damn about us in the first place?

TSW will be no different I fear..they will bend over backwards to get us to buy the box, then pretty much write us off six months later.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 4:30PM Harley Dude said

Seems to me like upgrading AoC's graphics engine is like polishing the rear end of a car that was in a front end collision. Graphics wasn't really ever a problem if you had a half decent rig. Maybe they wouldn't be down to 4 US servers and probably merging again if they had worried more about fixing some of the other issues in that game.

Oh, and I agree about the community being the worst in any MMO I've played. I guess that's what happens when you sell a game on boobs and decapitations.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 6:07PM VisualGloss said

@Harley Dude

You assume that everyone working at Funcom knows how to fix bugs and fix gameplay. Some people work on graphics, some people work on sound, some people work on content, some people work on... you get the picture. Just because they do an engine update doesn't mean that they don't have other people working on other stuff.

I think the main reason for this update to the engine was due to The Secret World using the same engine. May as well make it work for the game that is already released and get the bugs worked out for the new hotness.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 5:12PM Bezza said

I would have though that it was impossible to make the game look any better but i was wrong. The latest update does significantly improve the quality of lighting, shadows and textures.

There are some tweaking issues of course, but thats to be expected due to the revamped graphics engine. It's a great game, if you haven't played it your in for a treat.

I have however moved on from AoC simply because i have half a dozen max level toons and am over the now quite familair content. But i still feel it is one of the best MMO's on the market, certainly the best looking. Really looking forward to seeing the Secret World using the same engine.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2011 6:55PM (Unverified) said

Its odd, but one of the reason why I loved AoC was its community. Wiccana was very friendly, so friendly in fact that I even spoke spanish and I couldn't believe my eyes, everyone didn't mind and was still friendly. Though after the server transfers (mergers) wicanna general chat has turned out very offensive.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014