Posted: Mar 17th 2011 11:25AM Mr Angry said

@Puremallace

I heard Atari had a bad rep by trying to run DDO into the ground and not giving Turbine what they needed to promote and make the game successful.

I might be wrong, as that's obviously just one side of the story.

Right now my biggest concerns with this game is the Westernization, I just don't feel it's anywhere near what it needs to be, with a small team working on it. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, but not playing another Aion.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 11:28AM Mr Angry said

I also seem to remember there being some stuff that Atari did to STO players that really annoyed them, it trumped the Cryptic deal on the game by a long way, and forced Cryptic to backpedal on what they were offering.

I hope they get their shit together for this one, or it's going to have a very poor reception.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:01PM Dumac said

@Puremallace
I think its just a thing to distribute retail boxes, kind of like how Rift boxes are distributed by Ubisoft (in europe at least), Atari's reputation should have no bearing here. Although the aricle does mention marketing so that might be relevant.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:09PM Alex Oglitchkin said

@Puremallace The Korean version isn't even that hardcore Getting to max level in 10-15 days for many isn't hard. They have raised drop rates on gear in dungeons already by alot so people actually get stuff. The most hardcore thing about TERA is the crafting is RNG based with some bad failure rates. If Atari actually promotes the game in magazines and sites then chances are good we could see people willing to give it a try. NCsoft is a joke of a company when it comes to making games. Guild Wars is a great game because all they do is publish it and keep their stupidity away.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:26PM DevilSei said

@Puremallace

Aye, if memory serves Frogster is actually handling the game, Atari is just dealing with all the fun bits and pieces that is getting the game out to stores.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:36PM Alex Oglitchkin said

@DevilSei En Masse = US Frogster = EU for handling the game. No IP ban so Frogster's version might get the short stick because of their past.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:39PM Utakata said

Oh dear...Champions Online, Cryptic Studios. This makes me nervous. :(

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:58PM Icemasta said

Ok, I am not 100% sure I get this. Are they saying 2 companies will be releasing the same game for NA? I've seen that happen with 2 games (Dekaron and another similar game) and it basically killed the game.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 1:21PM Jef Reahard said

@Icemasta

No, En Masse is publishing/co-producing in NA, meaning they're doing some light development work on top of what Bluehole (the original Korean developer) has done. They're also handling all the North American PR.

Atari is responsible for getting the boxes on the retail shelves and may also help with advertising costs. Not sure on the specifics as they haven't been made available to us, but that is generally how a publisher/retail distributor arrangement works.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 1:01PM vaajtswv said

Westernization, westernization, westernization. If the dev or Atari can not do that, this will be the next Aion/FFXIV.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 1:25PM Alex Oglitchkin said

@vaajtswv Like I had said in a previous post. The game isn't hard to level at all. They want you to enjoy the game without feeling the need to stress constantly about leveling. You'd know this if you followed the game on their main site and TERA fans.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 1:04PM Halfcentaur said

I think the difference between Tera and other MMORPGs is that the fun is not anywhere near as involved with leveling up and getting better stats. The fun is in the combat and the act of combat itself. It doesn't matter how fast you level if there's a large enough world with varied content. The fun is in dashing in and out and cutting down an enemy as you narrowly avoid being cut down yourself, and the fun is in doing this with friends and coordinated action combat. I've been waiting for an MMO like this for well over a decade now. The more interactive the world and environment, the more dynamic, and the more responsive and real time the combat, the better. i think the only thing stopping this from being an explosive hit is the Asian visual aesthetic. While I love the design and all, there's nothing like that truly familiar world of European myth and legend when it's pulled off well. The anime hybrid is nothing to kick out of bed, but it's lacking that really familiar soul that so many identify with. But the Nintendo generation and Sony RPG has almost just as large a space in the heart, nostalgia wise.

I look forward to seeing what comes of this. Coop combat in games like Heretic 2, Severance:Blade of Darkness, and Rune was made to be merged with a massive world to share and interact with a massive population of fellow gamers. I am amazed it's taken so long to happen, but high speed internet has always been a bottleneck for such a vision.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 1:45PM Lateris said

It cracks me up how defensive people get without all the facts. That was me one year ago.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 3:18PM Vagrant Zero said

@Mr Angry I wrote an article a long time ago on Cryptic/Atari's business practices in regards to their MMOs.

Shady as all hell. You can read the article here (http://www.alltern8.com/library/mmo_games/cryptic_studios_-_a_pre_post-mortem/l-4840.html), but be warned it's lengthy and it mines their yearly financial statements.

With that said I don't hate Cryptic/Atari, I really feel like they've turned STO around (though they still have a ways to go), and personally I am looking forward to NWN (though with some healthy skepticism).