Posted: Mar 17th 2011 6:19PM Mr Angry said

• 1 heart
the best thing you can do is play another game....

Why try to wring out fun from a game where you hit your personal objectives, when you can play another game for the same price.

If you really have completed your initial goals, don't limit yourself, go have fun elsewhere, the other game is always going to be there (well in most cases)

The reason people feel bad about it, is not due to the game itself, or feeling like they have cheated, they feel like they may have wasted a colossal amount of time on a hobby and feel bad about breaking that commitment. They are not letting the game down, they have already let themselves down by investing so much time on a hobby and the realization that all that playtime and work didn't really matter in the greater scheme of things is a reality check.

The best thing to ensure that you don't feel guilty, is to keep having fun, play other games, be true to yourself and shop around. When gaming continues to be fun, keep doing it, if not, just stop.

As for the suggestions, well I guess you either read the marketing and wait for proposed features coming soon, while you aimlessly click on the screen bored as hell, or you engage in activities that weren't important to you anyway, and guess what, you weren't interested for a reason, they just aren't for you (with the exception of end game content, which is barred according to your progression).

So if i could impart any advice to STO players, get out and try other things, keep having fun and don't feel like you owe YOUR game a damn thing, if the game wanted you, it would have a wealth of things you are keen to dive straight into....

As for Rift, a fine choice, you may be presented with the same problem in time, but at least things feel new, you learn, you explore and you are not forced to retread the content you have already experienced. One day Rift will be the game you cheat on, but until then, enjoy!

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 9:22PM Aganazer said

@Mr Angry

"As for STO's future, let's be real honest about it, it has a fair to average looking future, no plans for expansions, no real explosion of new studio created content, it's pretty slow going at Cryptic studios, so don't be fooled that things are going to get hugely better soon, games rarely work like that."

I think you might be underestimating just how much of an impact the Foundry might have on STO.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 4:52AM pcgneurotic said

@Mr Angry

There is the 'mini-expansion' they've been talking about that will bring Romulans in as playable characters too.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 6:36AM pcgneurotic said

@Mr Angry

"We are currently going back to our master schedule and reworking it so that we will be able to deliver more Feature Episodes more frequently. This means more than 5 series a year and hopefully closer to 9 or 10 which would be ideal and lead to little or no downtime between new episodes." Which is nice. :D

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 6:28PM cowboyhugbees said

I think playing any one MMO for an extended period of time will leave you feeling empty at times. Don't be afraid to cancel your sub and try some other things!

I started in LOTRO and STO. Since then, I've tried RoM, FFXIV, DDO... none of them really hit the spot for me. I came back to STO with renewed respect.

(Except, during that time, I found Wakfu, which is hella fun)

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 6:38PM Gryphmon said

Yup, best thing to do when bored is to try another game. Lets face it, pretty much everything that was mentioned by Brandon was busy work. And the reason BTW, most players don't have Klingons isn't because they are so awful to play. Its because there is still so little damn content and no coherent storyline.

You will eventually get bored in any MMO. But with Cryptic's design philosophy of MMO on the cheap upfront, you are going to run out of things to do that much quicker than in other games.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 6:53PM sg3400 said

well i do hope there is going to be a relevant expansion coming soon ...i enjoy the game and see it as a relaxing way to release my flustration lol anyways i be surprised if in the near future there won't be a expansion soon to make it even more fun , maybe even a reallistic deck on a ship for missions ...keeping up the faith in ohio

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 7:04PM Zantom said

Yeah I have several MMOs I bounce around. MMOs can be tedious if you let them. Right now I have even taken a brake from MMOs and am doing an RPG shooter (Mass Effect 2). Playing something like this from Bioware makes me long for SWTOR :(

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 7:27PM Bezza said

Yep, i got bored with AoC so played STO which turned out to be pretty shallow and easy to level. I too have a lifetime sub so i am cool with it, i know i can go back to STO any time i want to dabble and see whats changed. But till i can play another faction in PVE all the way though i dont see much point. SO ive hopped into Rift as well, it's a nice distraction while i, like many others, wait for SWTOR.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 8:54PM pixelmonkey said

Waiting for The Foundry to hit STO - I think this will be a game changer and something other MMO games should look at. I know Neverwinter Nights 1 wasn't an MMO (although players did make MMO worlds with the toolset) - and look at what user generated content did for that title. If done right it can be an amazing asset to players and game companies.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 9:00AM Harley Dude said

@pixelmonkey

If the future of MMOs is paying a monthly fee to make my own content, I think I'll be done with the genre. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer wants to open a pizza shop where customers would make their own pizzas.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 8:59AM Ocho said

I've been getting into Diplomacy recently, and its a hard road if you don't keep up with it. As of right now, to hit max level and ambassador rank at the same time, you need 27 Dxp per level. Thats a long road to take if you haven't done them yet and are even in the late 20's or 30's, especially since each mission only gives 10 Dxp (20 Dxp if its a first contact and you do it correctly).

I love STO, but they need to revamp Dxp. The missions are way to repitivie, they need to just create more scenarios and missions for them.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 9:30AM Ocho said

@Ocho - Wow... thats a spelling fail if there there was one... I meant to say 'repetitive'.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 9:28AM RussellKV4S said

Hey, what's that raptor doing at ESD? ;)

Posted: Mar 20th 2011 11:56PM StClair said

@RussellKV4S:
Actually that's the "raid on Utopia Planitia" mission, which I did earlier today.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 5:54PM Digg3r said

Brandon,
Nice column and thanks for the tips, I'm a lifer but without the time that I used to have. I've been in MMOs since my first, which was AOLs D&D Gold Box Neverwinter Nights. STO is doing great for me but I remember the lull in every MMO I have played. The resolution was usually a single player game. Either I would finish it and then felling satisfied ready to jump back in to the MMO or I would get so fed up with the poor AI I would just go back to the MMO. Its tough being a weekend warrior but I still love the game and look foward to the plans ahead.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 11:34PM (Unverified) said

@Digg3r Thanks so much! :D I really enjoy putting it out each week.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 11:34PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) LOL @ me still being unverified yet >

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 9:17PM (Unverified) said

Crafting is mind-numbingly boring. Farming in STO is far more time consuming than in most other MMOs and yields less results (and that's if the whole system isn't broken, where only one type of crafting material will spawn across the whole game).

Accolades are OK if you can do them alone. If you can't, it's damned near impossible to get other people smart enough to help you complete them.

Does anyone wonder WHY less than 25% of players have a Klingon character? Because it's tacked-on and forgotten. The Devs even said they don't focus as much on Klingon content because nobody plays them. Deep Space Encounters are empty most of the time, Exploration is repetitive, PvP queues are way too long unless you're already at max level, and there aren't enough Weekly Series missions to get you anywhere near max level.

Dailies for emblems so you don't have to pay real money to get items... That's a horrible excuse to do dailies. STO isn't a free-to-play game. There shouldn't be microtransactions that let you get ships that tip the balance of power when you're already paying a monthly fee. Pick one, Cryptic: Monthly fees or microtransactions, not both.

Diplomacy isn't even a grind, it's a random grind. You get so few Diplomacy missions guaranteed that you have to spam Exploration missions hoping that you'll get one that rewards DXP. Look forward to it taking months to hit Ambassador.

STFs and PvP are hit or miss. Get a good group and it's the most exhilarating thing in the game. Get a bad group and you'll want to cancel your account due to the absurd amount of idiocy and incompetence.

The Weekly Series and The Foundry are the only things that will keep this game afloat. Cryptic needs to focus all its efforts on polishing those two features and the game may survive. Publish as many Foundry missions as possible, even if they're not the best. Just keep giving people things to do or they'll leave the game in droves.

Posted: Mar 19th 2011 9:17AM raxtrax said

yawn.. reading PR copy from Cryptic makes me sleepy. Wake me when Season 4 is out.