Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:31PM UnSub said

My brief tooling around in Golemizer showed it had some interesting ideas.

Of course, when a lot of players say, "We want innovation!" they mean, "We want innovation in AAA title with latest gen graphics and a massive player base and we want the innovation to work perfectly from day 1!".

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:32PM Space Cobra said

'Something is bugging me with the expression "to support indie development." It sounds like it's some kind of charity or something. Ultimately I want people to support me because they like my games and not because I'm indie. However, here's some food for thought. To stay in business, indie developers need to come up with something different, to innovate, to find a niche. There's no point trying to come up with something like "World of Warcraft: Indie Edition" as it will only suffer in comparison. People are complaining more and more that big studios are just trying to sell them the same game over and over (the WoW-clone argument, for example), so they should pay attention to indie development as they might just find what they are looking for. Sometimes, yes, the production value of indie games isn't what it should be, and it's up to us indies to do better. When people "support" us, it surely helps a lot to improve our games. It ends up being interesting to players as they will have access to higher-quality games that are not just merely clones pushed by big studios that are too afraid to lose millions if they "innovate too much." '

So true!

But ultimately, people DO this. They support/play games they like or are shown. Actually, a few years ago, Hollywood wasn't getting enough profits and Indie films were threatening them, so they started to emulate them. In recent years, this has been "a wash" and Hollywood is back to it's old tricks because of various reasons (I think they bought out many of the good Indie companies being one reason).

Nothing wrong with WoW from time to time as there is nothing wrong with enjoying a mindless action film from time to time, but I don't think BIG innovation is going to come from bigger AAA titles with investors/Venture Capitalists attached. Small innovations, probably and they may be fun, but something REALLY experimental and TOTALLY different? Not likely.

But really, even if a game is "different" or innovative, in the game-world, they have to be fun and enjoyable. While we can point and admire many innovations of the past, that doesn't mean that they are fun and the masses would enjoy them.

Sometimes even fans need to be "Indie" in the way that they think and be open-minded. People also fall into norms that can be bad for them and don't try out anything new/different.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 8:27AM LeStryfe79 said

Nice article!

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 2:40PM Twitchy5 said

Arguably close to a sandbox MMO and minecraft... interesting....
I'll try it out...seeing as I'm playing a sandbox MUD and Minecraft...

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 3:51PM Beau Hindman said

@Twitchy5 What MUD are you playing? I've been looking for a good one lately, but need one that offers total customization on the UI and stuff.

Beau

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 7:39PM Twitchy5 said

@Beau Hindman Atonement, at atonementrpi.com

I'm not really sure about sandbox as in Minecraft sort of thing. But it's more like a roleplay/MUD.

If you ever do get into it, let me know. I'm part of the Revolutionary army if you do.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014