Posted: Mar 16th 2011 6:24PM Tragity said

Love it best MMO on the market IMO played for about 9 of them years on a break now 6 months or so not sure if i am done or not. But still a great game.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 7:16PM InventionExchange said

EQ will always be my first MMO love.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 7:59PM (Unverified) said

great interview
long live EQ!

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 8:13PM Rindon said

@Alamar01
They made a decision as a whole to change the game to make it more "user friendly" to combat with WoW. It was a horrible decision.
The game would not be in any better state today if NGE never happened. It was a niche game then, it would be a niche game now.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 8:18PM winterborn said

Liked EQ2 and during six years learned to HATE Smedbucks and everything he has his greedy fat fingers in.

Will never touch a Smedbucks game again.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:08PM Haldurson said

EQ was my first mainstream MMO, and I have both fond and not so fond memories of it. Every once in a while I'm tempted to go back and see what's happened to the game, but then I remember some of the less pleasant aspects of EQ, and I think better of it.

That said, I always thought it was ironic that WoW seemed more like an EQ1 clone than EQ2 ever was. Not that I liked either WoW or EQ2, just that WoW felt more similar.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:18PM Keen and Graev said

@Haldurson mind = blown that you'd call WoW an EQ clone.

You need to replay EQ. These games are so far from being similar.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:43PM Lionhearted said

@Keen and Graev

WoW, especially in its earlier years, was *definitely* the natural progression of EQ (a more polite term than "clone"). Right down to the idea that it should take time to travel...

Yeah, it did some things differently and improved upon some features, but don't kid yourself. It was just a newer game, with more resources invested in it, that took what worked in EQ and tried to make it more appealing to the mass audience. And, honestly, there's little wrong with it. No game in 1999 could have become what WoW's become today. There needed to be an EQ for there to be a WoW.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 11:30PM Keen and Graev said

@Lionhearted Evolution of =! clone.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 11:38AM Ohhlaawd said

@Keen and Graev

The community has conflated the terms to the point where they're used interchangeably, so it shouldn't be mind blowing at this point haha.

RIFT is a WoW clone is an EQ clone is a...

It's all kinds of wrong but what can ya do.

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:38PM Saker said

Looking forward with hope to EQ3!

Posted: Mar 16th 2011 9:45PM Lionhearted said

@Saker

I'm certainly intrigued. If they're really honest about focusing on the 'worldness' of it, that's *exactly* what appealed to me in EQ -- and it's something that I've never seen repeated in another game. I'd absolutely love to play a game that makes me feel every bit as immersed in it as the original EQ did.

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 5:53AM Tazmanyak said

@Lionhearted
First thing to do for immersion would be to come back to the Everquest first person view.
I really hate how mmorpg sinc eq are all TPS, and totally unplayable in first person :(

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 11:35AM Kalex716 said

I'm on fippy darkpaw now, a new progression server that kicked up and covet's the old ways. It's been a total blast!

Vox shenanigans went down last night... All kinds of server drama, just like old times!

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 1:04PM Triskelion said

Funny but Smeds didn't talk about selling out to SONY when the rest of the team tried to fight SOE's efforts to come in and take over the game. He must be French.

Posted: Mar 18th 2011 5:45PM ZealPath said

Can't wait for EQNext/3/whatever it ends up being called. Will always remember EQ1 as "the best MMO ever," and wonder if anything will ever top it.

Posted: Mar 25th 2011 2:19PM Orekri said

Me and a few friends of mine just broke down and decided to get onto that progression server. My younger brother didn't understand MMO's back in the day and missed that classic, and so I am really excited to see how he enjoys it.

Posted: May 27th 2011 4:06AM Saerain said

‘"We're not trying to recreate the wheel," Smedley cautioned. "We're trying to do something revolutionary, not evolutionary.’

I'm assuming that the opposite was meant, here....