Posted: Mar 15th 2011 9:40AM Space Cobra said

Really enjoying these series.

While I also played E&B back in Beta and when it launched, I do agree about the sense of human being your avatar for the most part. I always thought it was weird to have a great character customizer and then we rarely see our avatars running outside our spaceships. Granted, I also liked the Spaceship customizer, but the big spaces and such made the game feel cold to me and part of the reason I lost interest in it.

I know many like that sort of thing, even Trade Wars on BBSes were popular, but I only lightly played those because of time investment.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 9:44AM Ohhlaawd said

"Until E&B, the only way to advance in an MMO was to kill monsters."

Interesting interview though. He cites low subscriber numbers as the reason for the game's demise, and I wonder if the initial marketing is to blame. I played almost every MMO that came out between 97 and 04 and had never heard of E&B until very recently.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 9:59AM Space Cobra said

@Ohhlaawd
"Technically you could do nothing but craft in UO and still become rich and or famous."

I know UO doesn't have XP points, but I think he meant that you gained XP while exploring new regions in E&B.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 10:44AM (Unverified) said

Great game and a great interview. Thanks for posting this!

Will have to try the emulator sometime...

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 10:49AM Lateris said

I loved this game. It was my first MMO. I remember that feeling of exploration and not knowing what to do or how to play the game and I loved that sense of not understanding the formula behind MMORPG games for my first few months. I really agree with his point of about the avatar.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 3:47PM Feydakin said

I will never view E&B with anything but my patented rose tinted glasses. As I've said several times that E&B has been brought up here on Massively, I played from phase 4 beta to sunset and loved every second of it. Those early days between UO and E&B are where most of my fondest memories lie... If E&B returned in some sort of official capacity i would resub in a heartbeat.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 3:58PM spamero said

Please bring back Earth & Beyond - one of the best games ever...

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 12:25AM Aardvarkk said

I have a friend who has helped bring it back online, take a look.

They have several servers and a lot of people donating their time to keep it running.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM