Posted: Mar 15th 2011 12:21PM ultimateq said

I've been playing lotro and I've been loving it. I'm excited to see what these new areas bring.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 3:36PM Kalec said

I do realize this is a bit off topic, but I would like to ask, how hard is it to get into the game ? considering I would not like to spend any money on it till I do realize it's worth the money (1/4 of max lvl at the very least)

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 3:45PM Icemasta said

@Kalec
Hmmm, well, you don't need any additional content until level 33, cap level is 65. After level 33, you have to unlock zones, costs like 5-7$ a pop.

You can earn currency used to unlock stuff by playing BTW. It's possible to buy the whole freaking game just by playing several alts. There is a tool called TP Finder (Turbine Points), a free character can earn 1610 TP, a zone costs between 500 and 800 TP. New unlocked zones give something like 200TP per character, so it's possible to get like 3 toons to level 30, then unlock a zone, run it through with 3 toons, unlock new zone, etc....

IMHO it's better off to just pay. I spent 50$ yesterday to unlock 9 quest packs (which is all of them), I already owned by expansions from playing the game since beta.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 3:46PM delphinius81 said

You get quests for all 3 starting areas (1-20) + the lone lands (20-late twenties) for free. You also get access to 7 of the 9 classes (warden/rune keeper you have to purchase separately). You can still access every other zone in the game - so if you want, you can just farm your way through mobs to 65.

Things have changed slightly (i.e. LoneLands is now free), but this chart helps explain the differences between account types: http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 5:11PM Kalec said

Ty. I have no intention of playing a game that cost the developers a lot of time and frustration for free and just grind my way trough the content, but I don't wanna pay for something that's not worth the money. But from what I hear it's quite approachable, I might give it a try and if it works out might spend some money on the game. I will admit that the F2P but with optional subscription thing is a bit weired 2 me.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 9:43PM Nerves said

@Kalec

The subscription really is just renting the content with a monthly allowance for points. If you visit mmorsel.lotro.com, they have a few free-to-play guides including a guy who unlocked all the content after spending something like 10 bucks.