Posted: Mar 13th 2011 11:14AM JohnD212 said

• Half a heart
Correct if I'm wrong but my understand is that they didn't do this out of the kindness of their hearts...Japan enacted the Energy Conservation Act and forced them to make this decision. My heart goes out to the people of Japan but I question SE's business model that runs all their games out of Japanese servers. Imagine if Blizzard ran World of Warcraft out of ONLY North American servers. Sadly I see why FFXIV is laggy and difficult to play.

Again..my heart and hopes go out to Japan for a speedy recovery. SE on the other hand should NOT be commended for anything but poor business decisions and poor game design over and over.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 11:35AM relgoth said

@JohnD212

Would you please quit trolling under something this serious? Were not talking about a company's design decisions in this post, were talking about conserving power for hospitals and basic necessities.

We dont need your two cents here, put it in a ffxi or ffxiv post.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 12:04PM Dunraven said

@relgoth Yeah it amazes me how someone can use a tragic event like this to forward their personal hate agenda against whatever MMO developer pissed in their E-cornflakes.

As I have said many times. I love games but never count me among that freakish mean spirited cult known as gamers.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 12:28PM ChromeBallz said

@relgoth JohnD212 has a point though. If they had a choice the servers would still be running, but since they don't they do the 'no bills this month' as a way to get some kudos from the general populace.

Trust me, the people at marketing in ANY company aren't there to be honest and caring, they're there to promote their company in any way they can.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 12:29PM ScottishViking said

@JohnD212

Congratulations! You've unlocked the "Disaster Troll" achievement.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 12:45PM ThePenIsMightier said

@JohnD212

Oh no, he pointed out that companies aren't compassionate entities and are doing something required by law! But they said it wasn't because of that, so it must be true! Companies never lie for PR and aren't greedy!

Part of his post may be whiny, but you can't say he's entirely wrong.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 2:08PM Naru now in 3D said

@Dunraven Uh, he didn't really say anything that bad or trolly. He just made an observation about Square Enix, and then did some very appropriate well-wishing for Japan.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 3:30PM Fakeassname said

@ChromeBallz

yeah, well I'm sure that IF they had a choice SE would prefer that the quake hadn't happened at all. no shit they would rather keep their servers up, who wouldn't?

I actually applaud SE for shutting them ALL down, I can't help but think that those energy restrictions are not so steep that SE couldn't have left a server or two up and running from each game, but they didn't. it's only two reactors that are having problems, the rest of them will be back up and running after a quick inspection.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 4:48PM Bewoulf said

@Naru now in 3D
No he is trolling. SE is a japanese company wih friends and family who have died, hurt, or homeless. They are shutting servers down to help their nation proudly. He's acting like SE is some greedy company that will take electricity from hospitals and shelters in order to continue business. He's an ugly troll that should know when to shut his mouth.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 5:49PM Bewoulf said

@ShivanSwordsman
What are you talking about butt hurt SE fans? I happen to think FFXII was There best work and i play ffxi all the time. Do i think they're the mother teresa of video game companies? No, i sure don't. But i KNOW they are not doing this begrudgingly. He is a troll and so are you.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 6:18PM ChromeBallz said

@Fakeassname Yes, they'd rather the quake wouldn't have happened at all because it's bad for business.

You also have to remember that only keeping a server or 2 up would eventually increase costs, given the load they'd be getting and thus the support tickets filed, giving the company a negative reputation as 'not caring about their customers'.

The current solution is the best, and while they're losing a month's subscription, they're gaining the goodwill of not just their current customers but future ones aswell. It's basically a well executed marketing scheme.

I know this doesn't sound very nice, but the fact is that nearly every (big) company out there would do this. It might put a dent into your view of the world, but the sad fact is that there are a LOT of people who only care about money and profits and not about the disaster and death happening right beneath their feet. In the end, all those people care about is that their balance shows a black number at the end of the month. I'm not saying that ALL of square is like that, but most certainly the people that make the big decisions are - After all, that's what landed them their jobs in the first place.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 6:51PM (Unverified) said

The ignorance in the replies is astounding.

You realise that all the media attention that countries get when they offer their support is for their own benefit, yes? Don't believe me? Well do you still remember the Christchurch earthquake that happened only a few weeks ago, one that is nowhere near as big as Japan's but still has people suffering from it? One that the nations conveniently forgot about.

I'm not blaming the people for that, however. The people of Japan have done nothing wrong. What happened to them was absolutely tragic and like what happened in my own backyard, I would never wish it upon anyway. My sincere condolences go out to all those in trouble.

The governments and other major corporations who lend their support however, do not care. I'm cynical when I say this but the proof is in the history of mankind.

Remember 9/11? Remember when humanity got together to help each other only for everyone to turn on each other yet again when the problem was deemed to be "sorted"?

This is exactly what this is. Expect nobody to give a crap about Japan and start blaming them and all that other crap in a few weeks -maybe months, if you're lucky - time.

If you don't believe me then you, like the rest of mankind, refuse to accept the cold, hard truth that man repeats itself time and time again. Learn history, and maybe we'll stop repeating ourselves in an infinite loop.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 9:50PM Mystal said

@ChromeBallz

We can all agree that they're doing what they're doing out of necessity, but who cares? Is there some kind of memo I missed where if your entire nation is facing down possibly the worst disaster in its entire history, and one of the worst in HUMAN history, your biggest concern is supposed to be going above and beyond to satisfy a bunch of people whose greatest concern is whether or not they can slay virtual dragons?

There are nuclear reactors melting down, whole towns swept away by tsunami, and some one is going to get all pedantic about whether or not they're waving the monthly fee because they're trying to be super nice? Any one who's thinking that way when tens of millions of people are suffering from this horrible disaster should just go ahead, do all of humanity a favor, and drink a bottle of bleach.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 11:01PM ShivanSwordsman said

@Bewoulf

And you're a butthurt, blind fanboy that wants to believe SE has the best intentions, when in fact those servers would never be going down unless the Energy Act was put up there. They're a business, and the shoddy release of their games reflects what they think of their customers.

Don't sit there preaching to us that they're angels ready to save people and take blows for the team for the better of mankind. The longer those servers are down, the more it hurts their bottom line, and you can sure as heck bet the second that act is lifted, they'll start their servers back up.

Have you not even looked these stories up? They kept the servers going UNTIL the energy act forced them to take it down. Trying to place them in any sense as doing this of their own volition is more PR to make people feel warm and fuzzy that they're sending these people any money whatsoever.

Posted: Mar 15th 2011 11:04PM kalipou134 said

@JohnD212
It was my understanding that both games are horrible anyway and nobody with a decent brain avoids them.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 12:33PM The Minn said

I'm sure playing an MMO is the last thing on their minds over there. So sad =(

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 12:39PM JohnD212 said

• Half a heart
Excuse me but the title of the post referred to how it impacted the MMO community. This is not trolling and it is not any indication of my thoughts for the people of Japan. From an MMO perspective (which this site is...go to Redcross.com if you want to read about the efforts) this is an indication of something both sad for gamers and sad for SE who will feel even more of an economic hit from this. There are several large websites you can go to and post your thoughts on the tragedy. I had every right to comment how this impacted the MMO community.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 1:00PM Pingles said

@JohnD212

Just because something is true does not mean it is appropriate at any given moment.

There are about 100 ways you could have phrased your comment better. If you decide to write something that insensitive then at least be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Unless you're a troll in which case: well done.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 1:34PM relgoth said

@JohnD212

I agree with pingles here, all you did with your original post was take a cheap shot when they are unable to do anything about the situation. Your entitled to your opinion about ffxi and ffxiv, but i really think your morals should overshadow that opinion atleast until things settle down a bit.

Or atleast post them somewhere else like in the mog log.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@JohnD212 I'm behind you, man. You said nothing negative or hateful about the Japanese people. If y'all want to talk about the poor folks over there (I have half of my family living there) then the MMO gaming site is not where to do that.

He brought up the fact that all SoE is doing is putting a nice spin on the fact that they are made to shut down. Would they have kept it up if they had the choice? Of course. They had the servers up until they were MADE to take them down.

Please don't downrank a man for giving his opinion about a video game company on a site dedicated to people opinions of video game companies.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014