Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:37PM PiOmega said

2007? I'm pretty sure they did it even before, like around 2000-2002. It was back when they had the seers program and all that. Towns came under attack that we had to defend. Giant blobs of monsters spawning outside of town and moving in for the kill. Town criers making a call to arms, in defense of varying towns. Bloodshed and devastation. In some cases, volunteers would be some of the monsters, and very hard to kill.

They cut the volunteer program and it all ended though. Wasn't around much longer to experience anything like that in 2007. Stayed around for another year after that, of my six years, but the game wasn't the same after they cut volunteers. Now I'm more fond of indie games that tend to do that. But those were the best times in UO that I recall.

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 3:33PM Brianna Royce said

@PiOmega The first dynamic stuff I remember was in 1997 too -- but the destruction of Magincia was in 2007. :D

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 1:06AM Averice said

Is that even the same thing? That doesn't sound like Rift at all to me, or what a Dynamic Event is even by definition, but maybe that's just me.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 1:08AM Keen and Graev said

Dynamic content was a buzz-word long before Rift came around. Rift just utilized that buzz-word to lure in those who didn't know better -- that rifts are far from dynamic.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 6:03AM Averice said

@Keen and Graev Yeah, it is just a buzz word with no real definition. Which makes the comparison in the article worthless.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 1:43AM Anticrawl said

I love Ultima Online, but the damn game should be free by now. How many years has it been? At 13 bucks a month per subscriber on servers that can't possibly use any bandwidth to run.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 8:14AM beskar said

UO was fantastic... in 1997. These days it's several levels below even some of the really bad F2P games, and yet they still milk its community. Sad, really.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 5:47PM (Unverified) said

People have been asking for a classic server for ages. They could still charge us if they would actually deliver what people want. The state the game is now doesn't please many people. We would love a The Second Age style with updated graphics, gameplay and improved mechanics/updates. How awesome it would be if we could pick 2 or 3 different UO eras to play? We could have a world for PVPers, a world for PVE, and keep the current world for people that like it.

I myself believe that the PVP is too unfair in T2A style, so I would enjoy a PVE/RP server instead of crying for PVP balances. I also dislike the expansions, I love the world of Brittania the way it was first designed.