Posted: Mar 12th 2011 1:09PM (Unverified) said

I did once in STO. When i was first starting out i was trying to have enough credits to buy simple upgrades and the new ship class you get, and i was always way short of it. So i did the smallest transaction i could, and got it.

Still scared the crap out of me that i was gonna be scammed or id beam onto a ship and GM's would be waiting for me.... never again

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 1:13PM cowboyhugbees said

@(Unverified) "Whoa, wait a second, this isn't the resort at Risa..."

"I'm sorry, Commander, but you'll have to come with us. You're under arrest for illegal latinum dealing with Ferengi outlaws."

"YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, FEDERATION SCUMBAGS!"

(slow motion)
(dramatic music)
(phaser volley)

...at least that's how I imagine it going down.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 1:10PM ScottishViking said

I have never bought gold from an unlicensed seller, but I have bought PLEX, which is only a "legitimate" version of the same.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 1:41PM SgtBaker1234556 said

Nah, why would someone buy ISK - running a couple of ratting bots nets couple of billion/day. Basically makes EVE free2play.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 1:56PM Averice said

Nope, never have, and I consider F2P cash shop buying just as unfair as gold buying in many occasions.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 2:34PM Samael said

The problem with people buying gold is that it makes the in-game economies screwed up completely.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 2:59PM VioletArrows said

Nope. I used to be in favor of it, though, as I'd been playing a game with a messed up economy, and playing the legit way was an exercise in frustration. Instead, I quit (the community was a bunch of jerks anyway) and moved on to another game that was actually balanced.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 3:05PM Sente said

Never bought it in a game where it is not allowed.

But I have bought the virtual currencies that games with cash shop uses to buy stuff there.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 3:07PM Pasha said

Not directly - never felt like I need much more than I have.

But I've purchased PLEXes, "cultivated" mining alt and finally sold her for ISK (never actuall mined anything) - I guess it's indirect money into ISK/gold scheme.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 3:13PM Scuffles said

Personally No

I have never purchased anything from an unauthorized "dealer".

I also find little difference between Unauthorized RMT and Authorized Cash Shops. So when a game bitches about RMT and then adds a CS
I find it somewhat Ironic.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 11:23PM Skyydragonn said

actually there was a point in time (over a week if i'm not mistaken) where authenticator log ins were being redirected to a 3rd party site that was then stripping those accounts. Obviously not every was effected by this but with even half of WoWs supposed "Subscription" number 6 million people is stilla lot of potential theft.

My point is that exactly, the gold you buy was most likely stolen. What isn't stolen is obtained through other illicit means which are guaranteed to be violating the games ToS. Regardless of its source its wrongfully gotten goods your purchasing, and should be treated as such. To my eyes buying game currency (in violation of the games ToS) should be treated exactly like purchasing stolen property with the knowledge that it is in fact stolen property.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 4:05PM PiOmega said

Nope, never have.
I was tempted during the early years of UO when RMT pretty much popularized, but I decided it just wasn't worth it and never really reconsidered the decision. In fact I'm pretty fed up with pay to win mmo's (often among f2p's) just to take it a step further. Players should not be doing it, but I think the same should apply to game developers/publishers where as they too should not be selling in-game items apart from maybe time-codes or limited cosmetic items.

I know a lot of people don't care, most that have started playing mmo's in recent years play mostly solo (as game devs lured them in), but RMT or cash shops really destroy the balance in co-op/mmo play. Not talking about competing, but just keeping in step with the cash shops to be an actual asset to an in-game group. I mean forget pick-up teams now, most players are so nerfed in these games because they are not spending money in the cash shop and can't just hunt the items down in-game. So now I'm forced to either wait for competent players I know to come on-line, go with a weak pick-up group and probably die, or play solo. If I'm going to play solo, I may as well re-install Oblivion, or find a new mmo that stays away from that crud. That list is shrinking however.

But yeaaah, down with RMT. And down with cash shops too!

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 4:20PM Heraclea said

No. And none of the games I am currently playing really offer all that big an incentive to buy in-game currency in.

In City of Heroes, you can buy good stuff with in game currency. But the economy is hyper-inflated; the rarest and priciest items are not sold on the game markets because they command a price tag in excess of the 2 billion per character cap. No way I could buy enough currency to make a lick of difference there.

In Age of Conan, there just isn't a whole lot of good stuff for sale. Desirable armor requires tokens, and by the time you grind out them you'll have enough game gold to get by.

In DC Universe, the game economy is rather rudimentary, and again anything worth buying needs tokens as well as currency.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 6:13PM WriterGuy said

The company position:
Gold selling/RMT is a scourge on gaming, absolutely detestable, completely unfair, and cheating of the worst kind, unless we are the ones who bill you.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 7:57PM Haldurson said

My big problems with gold-sellers are the following:
1. They create annoying spam.
2. They totally wrecked the EQ economy back in the day -- prices for newbie equipment (not even talking high-end raid level stuff) got so high that the only people who could afford to purchase were high levels trying to twink out their lowbie alts. What sense is it to sell a level 15 sword, that no level 15, not even a well-to-do one, can actually afford? Plus I've played at least 2 other games where their effect on the economy was pretty awful, if not quite as devestating.

Personally, I think that anyone who would give money to these two-bit criminals are dumb. If a game is too boring to want to play it for real that you have to pay someone else to play the game for you? Why even bother? Just burn your money - least you can help heat your house that way.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 8:15PM Thrishmal said

I will admit that I have. It was in the early days of WoW and I had managed to get my then fiancee to play. I wanted to buy her the epic riding skill, but didn't have the gold I needed on the server, so I bought it instead.

I have never bough gold for myself to use, but I did buy it to buy someone else something. It is just as wrong, but it justifies it in my mind :-)

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 8:32PM Nenene said

No, and anyone who does should be banned.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:25PM DiscoJer said

The different between RMT and the actual in game cash shop is that the former leads to massive inflation.

This gets to be a very big problem in F2P games, you're already generally penalized by not spending money at the item mall. But then the RMTers come along and completely screw up the in game economy by massive inflation that outdoes even anything Obama can whip up.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 10:09PM DLemke said

Eve players, so delusional.

For all but a handful of players, the answer to the title question is YES, because CCP profits are based on promoting RMT, promoting gold sales.

CCP recipe for the moneyz

Step 1: charge a subscription

Step 2: call your product a 'sandbox' game so you greatly reduce your production costs by not making 'content'

Step 3: make everything and anything,... items, skill points, gold buyable, so that both sanctioned and non-sanctioned RMT seduces endless cash out of your players who buy their way through the game

Step 4: profit, wheeeeeeeeee!

Eve players buy gold, and gear, and 'levels' (skill points) end of story, the only question is whether that extra money is going to support some Chinese gold farmer, or if it's going to support the second, or third, or forth subscription plan in the multiple subscription scam that CCP is running on Eve players.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 10:40PM mszv said

No -- because it's against the terms of service, and if I did it, I'm kind of clueless about these things -- by my luck to get caught. So, just play the games in a regular way.

I do think it's silly you can't buy gold in most games. I don't equate gaming with having a job, I equate it with having fun.

I do realize that gold selling does mess up the economy.

The Stream Team: Firefall's farewell