Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:15AM DarkWalker said

@Dril
Sincerely, I think it would be better for everyone if players, instead of buying gold, just jumped to a game with less grind, and specified so in the unsubscribe space for the game you left. It would put pressure on the developers to change their games to appease the most players.

Although, unless a player cheats to get unfair advantages in PvP, I really don't care about any forms of cheating (including the money-fueled cheating that is gold buying). Not into competitive gaming, anyway.

BTW, I cheat in games all the time, just never in multiplayer games (unless everyone playing the game agrees; used the character and item editor plenty of times when playing Diablo 2 with friends).

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:24AM Apakal said

@Dril

Ditto my friend, ditto.

Nor did I feel bad about it. Why? Because I gained absolutely no competitive edge from it. Blizzard should honestly just sell gold themselves. Its for the most part meaningless.

In the process I even managed to befriend one of my Chinese gold sellers (they are real people). I no longer play WoW, but I keep in contact with this person still, which is actually more than I can say about anyone I actually played WoW with or ever the majority of people I went to High School with.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 8:36PM Apakal said

• 1 heart
@Nenene

Mhmm... Jealous of those pixels and the time not wasted getting them, eh? Or just jealous of the disposable income? One of the two, take your pick.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 10:36AM Platypus Man said

@Nenene

Yes. Because one's ability to collect non-existent bits of money in a non-existent world is absolutely the way to measure one's ultimate worth. No, you priorities aren't f!@%ed up or anything.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:10AM slash beast said

Nope.

I don't feel it's right of me to cheat and take the short way out.

I feel like if I were to ever buy gold I'd be better off playing some cheap F2P asian MMO that's riddled with account hackers.

So degrading. So very degrading.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:14AM Greyhame said

Nope. Was tempted to back in vanilla WoW a few times, but never actually did. Part of that was less willingness to spend money on virtual items (and I still have some reservations against it).

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:17AM vaiden said

Never have.
Had a friend that did twice, got it the 1st time, didn't the 2nd.
I don't get why people do it anyway, like paying someone to lvl your toon.
Your buying a game , paying a monthly sub , and someone else is playing.
If it's that much work, why bother at all?

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:25AM Tizmah said

I'll be honest. I've bought gold and gil. I bought gold a long time ago on WoW, for an Epic land mount, back when those were the best of the best. I didn't want to farm all that gold. I bought Gil on FFXI as well. I ended up saving time in real life because of that or I'd burn out. But hey, I earned other things that couldn't be bought with money and required time.
It's not like it tested your skill as a player anyway. It just tested your patience.

I don't have any inclination to cheat in other games though. So perhaps it's a problem with MMOs more than me. No, I take full responsibility for buying gold, but I'm just saying perhaps MMOs should get rid of these long trials they put players through. You know repeating dailies aren't testing your skill. You know full and well you've mastered that challenge. But you are doing it over and over = mundane. Why not just super super hard boss fights instead of loooong grinding.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 11:04AM Suplyndmnd said

@Tizmah

Jesus, Buying Gil takes some nerves man. SE did NOT play around with that shit. There were a few times I had the temptations. "Man, i need armor and dont wanna spend 3 weeks farming to get it" but I didn't want to lose a multi year account and ALL my stuff. Their Anti-RMT tactics not only busted those who bought Gil but it also deterred people. Made people rethink the decision.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 8:34PM Nenene said

@Tizmah
'I bought gil in FFXI'

Thanks for helping to ruin a beautiful game.

/digust

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 9:42AM Daverator said

@Nenene

While I agree that RMT can have negative effects on a game. I think SOE did enough on their own to ruin FFXI.

RMT exists because of grinds and in game currency gating. The old days of WoW required almost equal time spent between raiding, and farming gold/ materials for consumables.Since then, much has happened to reduce the required time for farming consumables in between raids.

If the developer of a game decides "We cannot create enough interesting content, so we will just require players to play through uninteresting content (farm) for an extended time before being able to participate in interesting content (raid/dungeon/pvp)." Then you are setting up a perfect situation for RMT traders to pounce on your game. They offer "Pay a little more, and only play the fun parts".

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:44AM Skyydragonn said

As someone who (after 4 years of playing) finally suffered an account hack at the hands of these RMT companies. I stand firm that i will never ever buy game currency for cash. Anyone who does so should look to thier guild/clan/corp mates who have suffered an account hack and feel shamed for thier purchase knowing full well that the money they spent for that currency is the driving force behind the suffering of there guild mate who's been hacked.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 10:31AM Dril said

@Skyydragonn

I find it hilarious that you're trying to make me feel bad about buying gold when account hacking is so easily preventable in WoW (authenticator.)

The charity adverts that show someone in a third world country starving make me feel far more guilty for simply existing than "you caused someone (entirely preventable) minor, virtual unhappiness."

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 12:10PM Skyydragonn said

@Dril
Thats one game out of HUNDREDS, Not all of which have such measure in place to prevent account theft. Aside from that, buying gold that you know comes from stolen account information SHOULD make you feel like a tool. As for the starving kids in Etheopia, I feel no sympathy when i see those commercials becuase I know that 10cents of every dollar actually goes to buying those kids food/clothing/education, the rest goes to pay the fatcats who run the organizations. Your not doin those poor kids any favors by contributing to those organizations. you'd be better off finding a random family and mailing them a check directly.

And back to the authenitcator issue, even those are not %100 foolproof and that was proven a while back you can still be hacked even with an authenticator. however Minor you feel the inconvenience is its still an inconvenience and many people grow heavily invested in the effort/time they invest into thier MMO toons, people who support the companies that sell gold undermine those players enjoyment of the game as well as thier invested time/effort. Just some food for thought. But hey, if your cool with contributing to the misfortune of others, carry on.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 1:01PM Dril said

@Skyydragonn

I do humbly apologise. Far be it from me to suggest that people's minor inconveniences are of far less importance than the starvation of millions.

I bow to you, sir. Your incredible morals (and unverified facts) have bested me.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 2:28PM Halfcentaur said

@Dril You're a covert aggressive manipulator who relies on fallacy to "win" arguments by shaming and insulting those who disagree with you. You've just made this an issue over starving children instead of taking responsibility for your choices. I've spent a lot of time in China and Romania. The kids who work in these gold selling sites aren't exactly starving and in a gutter. This is a job that is advertised as fun for them.

You are the reason millions of people are hacked and lose years of effort. You can rationalize it as pixels and virtual, but that's more covert aggressive BS. Humans are just atoms, oh look, I can reconstruct things by using fallacious lines of logic because I lack character.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 3:15PM Apakal said

@Skyydragonn

"And back to the authenitcator issue, even those are not %100 foolproof and that was proven a while back you can still be hacked even with an authenticator."

Yeah, 99% isn't 100%, for sure. Man-in-the-middle attacks are way easy to pull off too...

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 4:38PM Dril said

@Halfcentaur

I like the adjectives you used (I wouldn't personally say I was in any way covert, either, but there you go) although:

-I was told to hang my head in shame, not the other way around. Do I have any shame for my heinous, awful, downright villainous act of buying a tiddly sum of gold? No, I simply quantified how ridiculous his statement was when put into context: the minor inconvenience I may or may not have indirectly caused (after all, you can't prove where the gold came from,) which is itself entirely preventable if you have a modicum of sense and a spot of spare change, really does not play on my conscience. Because I'm an awful person, I simply pointed out that what plays on my conscience more (I'd guess it's a similar thing to survivor's guilt) is people actually, you know, dying, not having their easily-protected pixels stolen.

-I've spent a lot of time in Shanghai, so what was your point, exactly?

-You're trying to dump the blame on gold-buyers, which, frankly, is really bloody stupid. It's like people who oppose fur: yeah, great, don't buy it, woop-de-doo. Thing is, other people will. The way to prevent is to get rid of the fucking trappers, not have a wussy consumer boycott. I was hacked once, I don't have some sort of pent-up hatred for the people who did it. I got better anti-virus and bought an authenticator.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:47AM Dumac said

No. Not that it hadn't crossed my mind, but then i got a bit nihilistic about it, what would i even DO with the gold? Its pointless. It has SOME significance when it is a reward for an action, you feel a bit warm inside when someone trusts you enough to lend you some gold for repair bills or whatever, you feel badass when you scam somebody into giving it to you, but just obtaining a large sum with no actions? Utterly pointless.

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 9:49AM Tom in VA said

If I were playing a game in which I felt that desperate for virtual currency, I'd sooner quit the game than purchase gold. In a well-made, balanced, and entertaining game, you shouldn't need to buy gold. Just my 2ยข.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best economy?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 8:00AM