Posted: Mar 11th 2011 9:38AM Beau Hindman said

Great guide. I have played Runescape over the years but never really got into it much until this last year. I was somewhat confused by these changes and what it all meant, so thanks again.

Now, about one of those runs....

Beau

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 11:06AM Aardvarkk said

"Back when the open-world PvP of Ultima Online was more than just a memory for most people..."

You mean there are people who still play that game?

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 5:51PM MewmewGirl said

@Aardvarkk

Yes. I went and played a free trial of it recently. It's semi fun even :D Of course there isn't much PvP in it now but it still is an okay game and has a lot of unique game systems. There were a lot of people there playing it too still.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 5:49PM MewmewGirl said

"Having open-world PvP in an MMO checked off another item in the list of things that attracted people to the genre."

Bwahahaha. Funny. Oh, you're not joking? But surely you jest. Open World PvP was the bane of most games and drove more people away from a game than anything else. By "attracted people" maybe you mean it attracted a very small percent, to which I will agree.

I admit a lot of this information I gather from second hand sources, tho I have relatives that were playing the game at the time and have read a lot about it too.

UO destroyed the idea of fun PvP for some people for their entire gaming lives afterwards and from what I can tell a lot of people who experienced it in UO still avoid it like the plague. It was an experiment gone horribly wrong and the only thing that attracted people that had to do with PvP afterwards was people reading they could be free of PvP if they wanted.

UO's PvP was never natural. It was a griefer's dream, it was a game system done very wrong and ruined the experience for most people. There is a very small hardcore group of people that liked it - but when the game moved to have the choice between the PvP world and the PvE one - the PvP world became a vacant wasteland. I guess that showed them a lot about how people wanted to be able to play.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 7:33PM Brendan Drain said

@MewmewGirl I think you may have misunderstood me. I meant that if a company can say their game has a particular feature, people attracted to MMOs because of that feature are much more likely to play it. For example, if you love druid type classes or mounts or player housing, you're more likely to play a game that has those features.

Being able to simultaneously say "We have open world PvP" and "players are safe from PKing" is a big deal, because it attracts the players interested in that open PvP gameplay style without turning away the players who would have been turned off by UO's PvP. The fact that they could claim to have open world PvP checked off another item in a long list of features particular players were looking for in MMOs. And back then, it literally WAS a checklist -- I recall several MMO news sites maintaining lists of popular game features and whether each game they covered had them.

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 9:01AM Lumbridgecity said

I am delighted that the Wilderness in Runescape has been returned! It is extremely dangerous but it's the most exciting part of the game.

The changes to free trade and the new flexibility of the Grand Exchange really have opened up fast ways of making profit while merchanting - without joining a price manipulating merch clan.

Our sub-group of merchanters are playing a version of The Stock Market Game. Not only can you make huge fortunes on Runescape - it may even be good practice for some future real world investors!

It really has been Massive Improvement!
Thanks You Jagex!

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 1:03PM (Unverified) said

I hated the wilderness back before the first change and loved it once they changed it so I could go there and not be attacked by a bunch of SNERTs trying to steal my stuff. Since the return I doubt if I will go there much since I hate it. If I do go I will only take 2 items, a dragon sword, a shark. That way when the Twits attack me, they will be spending runes and potions and food to do so and hopefully before they kill me I will be able to weaken them so they can fall victim to the other sharks circling around up there.

I have read a bunch of comments about how the SNERTs can start making money taking other peoples stuff. It is sad that they have to steal what others worked hard for. Apparently the PK twits whined and cried when they had their own PK worlds and had only others like themselves to attack.. Like the bullies they are, they wanted victims who actually worked on skills and were not the fighting machines the PKers were. That way the PKers would not have to endanger themselves when they mugged weaker players.

It is sad that the designers left stuff up in the wilderness that forces everyone to go to just so the PK SNERTs have the opportunity to attack and steal stuff.

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 1:05PM (Unverified) said

I forgot to add that I have pretty much stopped playing RS since the Wilderness came back and have been playing LOTRO since there is limited reason to go to the PK part of the game in LOTRO.