Posted: Mar 11th 2011 12:20PM HereticalPenguin said

The Starter is indeed a great primer to D&D; however, once you know the game, it's not much useful anymore and you'll need the PHB.

Another option for finding D&D partners is gaming stores; a few in my area have open gaming nights where you can just bring in a level 1 character with you and join in on a game. I haven't tried it though - D&D with strangers doesn't seem as appealing as D&D with your own buds.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 1:36PM Tom in VA said

In my view, keeping track and/or understanding the D&D stats in DDO is difficult if you are not already familiar with the pen-and-paper D&D. And I have little interest in playing D&D.

I tried DDO but was frustrated with the stats, didn't really like the combat, and was unimpressed by the graphics, armors, and character models. Moreover, after being "spoiled" by the heroes in Guild Wars, I found the hirelings in DDO to be a big disappointment as well.

It'll be interesting to see if Neverwinter (Cryptic) is able to (finally) make a an online multiplayer D&D game that is a little more accessible to the average and/or casual player.

Thanks for this article, Rubi. Very interesting. :)

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 7:10PM ides said

Great article. I'm currently in the process of rediscovering D&D after a seven year hiatus and it's interesting to compare our experiences. I bought the 'red box' mostly out of curiosity, but it turned out to be an excellent intro to 4th edition even for someone with around 18 years of experience with prior editions. The choose your own adventure style of the first booklet is a stroke of genius.

It is a shame that, instead of building the red box as an intro to the existing rulebooks, WotC have used it as a springboard into a whole new product line (D&D Essentials). I can't see the value in the two 'Player's Essentials' books and I agree with HereticalPenguin - the Player's Handbook should be the next thing you buy after the red box. Unfortunately, any characters that you bring through from the red box will need a few tweaks at this point, which could have been avoided.

Anyhow, love the idea of a series of articles introducing MMO players to PnP - looking forward to the next one :)

Posted: Mar 12th 2011 4:30PM PiOmega said

Played it back in the 80's. In fact made my own games, used my computer to design and print maps. It was all mostly from scratch apart from some normalized rules. I mean it could be played with or without official dnd handbooks. Everyone always had fun.

I played DDO some, but too many negative sides to it, and most oldschool dnd players I know didn't care for it either. However I do like the adaptation of the D20 system. I still work on games, but not on paper any longer hehe, and the D20 is a nice system to work with, scripts pretty well. DDO should have probably followed the GW approach from the start, would have worked a lot better for them. But the only thing they seem to have in common is both being quasi-mmo's.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM