Posted: Mar 10th 2011 11:51AM Randomessa said

That is really very nice of them. I'm still on the fence as to whether to partake, so the extension gives me more time to think (and level, which I am doing slowly and is part of why I can't make that decision yet).

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 12:29PM Stuxatte said

@Randomessa

I went ahead and did the six month plan. I'm also a slooow leveler, so I figure six months would be enough to get two or three characters to 50, at which point I'll either be burned out and ready to quit, or they'll have produced a nice patch with new content to suck me back in.

$60 for six months is pretty good, though. Actually seven, with the free month.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 7:51PM Randomessa said

@Stuxatte

Yeah, I just don't know if I will actually be playing for all six months yet. I can't decide how I feel about Rift so far!

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:13PM Kasen said

I pre-orderd during beta :) 60$ is damn cheap for 6 months! I'm loving the game!!

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:20PM Zantom said

I bounce around MMOs too much to buy game time in bulk :(

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:48PM TheRealStupid said

A six-hour pass at a ski resort costs $80+

Green fees for one day of golfing can cost several hundred dollars.

Heck, even a two hour movie will cost you $10 these days.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:56PM ImperialPanda said

@TheRealStupid

So, by extension, you would consider $2500 a month for a MMO "fair" or something? You comparisons are just silly.

What's a "worthwhile investment" or not depends on supply, demand, cost, and a variety of other factors. $60 for an online game is average because there's a ton of other online games you can play for a very similar price. I dunno why you would compare it to golfing.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 2:41PM Randomessa said

@TheRealStupid

"Dropping $60 on an online game is a worthwhile investment, even if you only end up playing for a single month."

You mean an additional $60, since we all already bought the box for $45-$80.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 3:43PM dudemanjac said

@ImperialPanda

It's pretty simple to figure out. Hundreds of dollars for hours of fun versus a month of fun for 10 bucks. I'm pretty sure it's assumed that it is a type of fun that you would enjoy.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 10:58PM ImperialPanda said

@dudemanjac

And just like TheRealStupid (love the name, btw), you're not understanding why that comparison is not valid.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 4:12PM dudemanjac said

@ImperialPanda
I just explained why it was. Which part didn't you understand?

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 3:11PM DarkWalker said

Both DCUO and LotRO had the $10-per-month gig for 3 month packages :)

BTW, as someone said above, $15, or even $10, per month is not exactly cheap. It depends on how much it costs them to provide the service, and how much other similar services charge. With that in mind, anything above $15 per month for a MMO is clearly expensive, since about every competitor charges, at most, $15 per month (the only one charging more I can name right now is WoW if the player picks the web AH and guild chat package together with the base subscription).

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 5:32AM BGExorcist said

I want to know how much expences they have per month, and than we can talk if 10 USD is much. I say it is too damn much for a game you already bought. A few MB storage on a server and little traffic will cost me more than my unlimited 4,2 MBps download internet?

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 5:49AM BGExorcist said

I feel they are not getting the numbers they want. The world is so small, and yet starts to feel a bit empty, currently lvl 40. The zergs that were formed at headstart are halfed as far as I can tell. That and the fact alot of people almost beat the game and probably are getin bored... No founders plan will save them if they dont come up with content soon. I also level very slow, mind you. I'm 5-6 levels above the content I quest so far. They need to tone the xp gains down a bit...

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 5:30PM (Unverified) said

@BGExorcist I'm pretty much a "no life" guy myself but it stills surprises me how people are desperate at consuming content and wanting more... I have never ran out of things to do in a MMO, it actually disturbs me when they start releasing expansions and the old content starts to get old/unneeded...

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 6:10PM edgecrusherO0 said

@(Unverified)

I agree that old content should never fall by the wayside. I never really played eq1, but I have heard enough stories about how they kept content relevant and saw some of it in EQ2 when I raided lower tier dungeons from prior expansions to know that while it can be amazingly fun, it can also be a chore when playing new characters.

As for running out of things to do, that's really subjective since people derive enjoyment from different things. My friend can fish in WoW for days and never be bored, and I got bored just doing fishing daily quests. The need for content is because most games nowadays are content driven. There isn't a compelling story to experience and keep you in the game world. Part of it is that people just don't care about one, and part of it is that it's really hard to have a compelling storyline to keep you busy for a long time. It's easier to just vomit out rehashed content with hardmodes to keep players busy for 3-6 months while you work on the next batch of content.