Posted: Mar 10th 2011 7:06PM Luk said

"[Void] pretty much a complete character when she gets it at level 22. This is in stark contrast to most of the other Archetypes, who tend to have to wait until the post-30 levels (often level 40) to get their set-defining powers. "

Actually Grimoire gets its set defining power even earlier with Sigils of the primal storm at 6, Eldric Shield at 14 and Arcane Vitality at 17, so as impressive as Void sounds you cannot claim this as a fact. Another thing that I found to disagree with is the statement that Grimoire is more team focused AT. For some reason my Grimoire can solo team missions full of purples on hard without ever dying, while on team it always gets shafted because the sigils do not last long enough do grab the agro and the heals are not good enough to keep anyone from dying.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 7:56PM Luk said

@Tempes Magus
I slotted sigils to rank 3, and increased intelligence with equipment to wazoo. Also took Eldrich shield and Aura of Primal Majesty to rank 3 as well. That way i can spam sigils every 10 seconds, blocking most of the incoming damage in between the casting with the shield, use eldrick blast or Skarn's bane to clean up. If things get too tough, use devices to heal or cast crafted pets to increase the damage output.
With this build i can do missions 4-5 levels above my own on hard difficulty, too bad all the drops i get are usually so higher level that i cannot equip them :)

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 10:52AM Patrick Mackey said

@Luk
I don't get this, man. I've said numerous times that Grimoire is great. "Most" doesn't read "all," and Grimoire is defiintely amazing. Void is also very very good, a competitor to be sure. I don't see the inconsistency :)

Either way, good that you're having fun with Grimoire. It's definitely an excellent Archetype.

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 1:05PM Luk said

@Patrick Mackey
Yes "most" is not "all". I think the main difference here is that Void is Gold AT, while Grimoire is Silver (Free). I guess you get what you pay for, so no problem here, just wishing that other Silver ATs were more well rounded in the early game.

Surprisingly, I have been enjoying CO more than I thought, got to Lemuria and it's underwater environment litterally blew me away. Maybe Cryptic should have allowed limited access to this zone in the tutorial, because it really shows what CO should have been as a game, instead of the peice of crap that the tutorial is now.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 3:35AM Lionhearted said

I'll also add to the voice that Grimiore is of mixed use in group settings. If it's an open mission, it's very difficult to rank highly -- but will have a lot of survivability in solo settings (and in most groups going into dungeons, the pick-up players aren't going to play in a way that makes your sigils effective). At least, that was my opinion before I took my Grimiore character and turned him Gold.

Yet, even now that I'm gold -- and made my character free form -- I still have a build that is very similar to grimiore, with a few pets and the arcane sigils mixed in. I've been able to solo most 5-mans, and the few dungeons that have given me trouble have only been in the last rooms/boss, with a grimiore-like build. Adding one or two members to my team, I've found, hasn't always made me markedly better off in those missions.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 12:35PM Daemodand said

I...cannot maintain!

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 10:54AM Patrick Mackey said

@Daemodand
SOMEONE GETS IT!

Posted: Mar 13th 2011 10:47AM Patrick Mackey said

@Tempes Magus
The life drain graphics aren't super specific. I'd recommend mixing in Shadow Embrace or Ego Storm or some other paranormal damage to get the most out of Seraphim. If you're not using that bonus damage, the radiant aura is a better deal, imo.

The Stream Team: A SWTOR housing tour

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Daily Grind: What do you buy in MMOs?

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 8:00AM