Posted: Mar 9th 2011 7:48PM Suplyndmnd said

I so want in on this. I have always hated PvP but I think i'd love if it was 500 vs. 500 and ongoing in a way that I can log in, do some PvP action then bounce when i need to. That was the big draw to Warhammer Online for me was the massive amount of people who did PvP. I generally hate PvP and WAR was the only game I ever did it in simply because I could drop in and out as I wish and one person leaving didn't mean the end of things.

This looks awesome and sure it doesn't have earth shaking graphics but since when does graphics make the game? People still play tabletop games and Mario Brothers.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 9:42PM 10thDoctor said

@Suplyndmnd

The game itself is meant to be nothing more than a technology demo really.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 12:20AM Suplyndmnd said

Understood but it still looks fun. i can see even this simple technology demo being cool enough to play.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 9:59PM (Unverified) said

I once had a dream- I was riding on a dragon amongst thousands of dragon-riders descending on a battlefield. =P

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 12:05AM Krelian said

@Tempes Magus

ITT: Dude replies to himself twice.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:52AM PiOmega said

"is aiming for what it says is the world record for the number of players in a single multiplayer battle: 1000"

Planetside fall through the cracks? omg the lag, but easily 1k players in some evening battles a few years back (fighting over same base). Mostly a ghost town now though... too many "balance" mistakes, but 5 years ago it was pretty intense.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 9:52AM Xilmar said

@PiOmega

the requirements for it to be considered a world record might be more complicated that it appears. 1k players in the same battle has been broken. So i'm guessing it has to be a closed space, like an instance, there have to be at least 1k players for a number of continuous minutes/hours, performance cannot decrease below a point, etc etc.

too bad they're trying it with a FPS...and now i realize a couple of things about DUST 514...if this turns out to be quite doable, we could actually have the first actual MMOFPS. (might be wrong, not up to date on MMOFPS news...and not counting hybrids like neocron). think wow, but darker colours and with death, explosions, air crafts and rockets instead of vanity pets, pink mounts, warm colours and Hemet Nesingwary jr.jr.jr.jr.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:20PM Valdamar said

@PiOmega
Planetside never had more than 500 on a single continent - i.e. in a "single multiplayer battle" - and that was reduced to 400 per continent maximum to reduce latency issues for players. Admittedly 400/500 players in a single multiplayer battle is still more than 3 times as many as any other MMOFPS/FPS has handled.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 9:36AM Krayzjoel said

They asked CCP how to run large battles and handle a massive server? CCP...the company that you have to notify ahead of time of large so they can allocate resourses.....the very same ppl who are also playing the game to tip off.....
Eve Online stll cannot handle large scale battles. It does well with an routine playing. I still remember being in a 500+ ship battle and the server cut out. I tried to log back in and found my ship destroyed and i was podded.
I'd ask someone else.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:17PM Valdamar said

This bodes well if they're looking to create an MMOFPS as tactical as Planetside - I look forward to hearing more about their efforts on Massively.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014