Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:07AM Naoki7 said

Thank you for this article. More invasions would be won so easily if more people knew how and when to heal up wardstones!

And just for reference, the Defiant names of wardstones go from Engineered, to Augmented, to Ultimate, with the last one having a sweet hologram of our fearless leader Asha :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:27PM Pitt said

Sometimes you don't want to auto group, i had a quest that required 3 people or less to complete, and if everyone joined you wouldn't get the quest update.

It's the quest to close the rift in scarlet gorge.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:19AM Space Cobra said

• Half a heart
I still haven't gotten this game to work with my crossfired cards (as it worked back before the the Friday patch during headstart and Beta).

I've kinda lost my taste and patience waiting on Trion to correct this. As I've said, this is not a BIG problem for most, but there have been enough people posting in the Tech forums and getting no response or straight answers.

Sounds like nice tactics and fun, but even with my patience, I am getting burnt out on not being able to play rift for more than 3 seconds (and no, that's not an exaggeration).

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 3:41PM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra

Playing Rift does not really benefit much from Crossfire, the speed increase is so small that if you bought a 2nd card to play Rift it's a waste of cash.
Remove one card until they address the trouble, you won't even notice any difference... so stop punishing yourself!

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:41AM shazz said

On the lower pop server that i am on if you don't upgrade your wardstone you have to retake it everytime you want to turn in a quest. So knowing this trick is a must.

Shaz

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:45AM Snichy said

Thanks great article. I always knew that wardstones could be buffed but never really got around to finding out how...! Now I know, and I also now know what those 3 blue crystals around my portraite mean - THANKS!!

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 12:05PM Turbana said

> If you click on a player and he's set himself to allow public grouping, you'll see a little button above his name. A simple click instantly adds him to your group

I thought that when you clicked that button it add you to their group? I'm at work now, so I can't check it, but I could swear that's how it works.

> I buff up the stone, and it immediately heals up fully and becomes a Blessed Wardstone, complete with bigger crystals and a protective gargoyle.

Those gargoyles aren't just pretty statues either. They're actually turrets that will shoot at enemies who are attacking the wardstone. You get two of them with a fully buffed wardstone. So by buffing the wardstone you not only increase it's defensive power (health) you also give it a bit of teeth as well.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 12:22PM Karen Bryan said

@Turbana

Yes, actually, you're correct. I realized this out last night as I was forming up a raid. I had everyone in the guild click on my PG button to join up, which was a luxury after years of typing out /rinvite soandso.

I got go make popcorn while everyone else made the raid for me. :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:55PM chum said

I added myself to another players' group the other night as they ran past me and engaged the objective (after I had cleared the way mind you). It was really nice and although they removed me from their group right after, I still got credit :) If you can't beat em, join em!

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 2:03PM ndessell said

Public groups are awsome. But then you find that jerk that set himself to private and is being killed by a pack of mobs, its i shame to sit there and let them go but most heals and tank skills only work in party.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 2:52PM kgptzac said

@ndessell

peer pressure for the win?

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 3:48PM (Unverified) said

The +1 to allow grouping without being asked can be good or bad, players use it for some of the wrong reasons... and it's annoying to see you are in group you never asked to be to a member.

Getting the 50 planarite Wardstone upgrade item should be one of the first things you grab after visiting the main city.
While questing your Wardstone can help to preserve the quest hub from mobs, which if lost means you can't turn in completed quests until you clear the invaders. This alone makes the upgrade/heal Wardstone option worth the investment.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 6:07PM Graill440 said

Like many have alluded to, the ascendant powers are little known. For example that planarite you stockpile can by new ascended powers that help you become a powerful giant (anytime) and cut through anything for about 30 seconds to include summoning the out of the way ancient wardstones that creat dailies and the articles buffing wardstones.

Lots of other little secrets i wont go into to stop spoilers but i will say this, use those ascendant powers after purchasing them from wandering vendors and planarite dealers.

And the rabbit hole, does go all the way to the bottom, a hint.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 1:45PM Valdamar said

Some of the guild-granted powers use those planar charges too - we have obtained one in our guild (from guild levelling) that lets a player use a planar charge to buff the resists of every person in the group/raid for one hour. Pretty handy.

I like the Ascendant power that Graill440 describes too - for 30seconds it lets you take 75% less damage from, and deal 100% more damage to, any planar enemy you attack that is part of an invasion - basically you become a god for 30seconds, which is handy when a wardstone is lacking players to defend and you feel you should make a start on your own while other players arrive. Those 30seconds is quite often long enough to kill the leader of one invasion even while his henchmen beat on you, and they're the toughest part of invasions.

It's also handy if you have an inattentive moment and an invasion rolls over you - it makes for a great panic button. I swear Rift is the only MMO I've ever played where the roads are usually more dangerous than the wilderness areas, because the invasions tend to use the roads - lol.

Activating Ancient Wardstones (you get the activation power from a quest in Scarlet Gorge) is also another way of creating some content for yourself because the NPC in the outpost that spawns around the recaptured wardstone (persists for 30minutes) will offer you daily quests that can be done in the immediate area.

As it stands Rift is the only MMO I've played that launched in the last 5 years that actually has more content than you actually need to hit level 50.

Posted: Mar 11th 2011 9:25AM redsolar said

Just to add a note. If it's the same as it was in beta, Clerics can heal wardstones with their healing abilities as well without the need for a wardstone ability. So, keep that in mind.

Why I Play: ArcheAge