Posted: Mar 9th 2011 10:06AM Arkanaloth said

it's a rather brief peek at what they're doing for crafting but I like the non-competitive node gathering and the fact that everyone can gather any raw materials.

*now* I just wait to see if they have a system in place to get buyers and sellers together, Auction House please.. cause spamming /general is *not* the way to go.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 10:28AM Irem said

@Arkanaloth
They've mentioned an AH in passing, which...yeah, thank god.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:18PM Seldra said

@Irem don't forget the mailboxes, thank god they're adding that!

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 10:32AM RizzRustbolt said

They are going to take some flack for the shared gathering. I've gotten a lot crap about it every time I bring it up in other MMOs. People love their economic crutches.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 10:40AM Arkanaloth said

@RizzRustbolt possibly but I like the system, keeps people from charging out the whazoo for materials.. the *real* money will be in the people who differentiate themselves and discover rare crafting patterns / formula.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 10:49AM goatfoam said

Not too excited overall. But then, I never did play Guild Wars to craft so it's not like I'm complaining either. The thing that stands out to me the most is the discovery system. Not sure how well it will work in Guild Wars 2 (meaning I'm not sure how many Guild Wars 2 players are going to be into it) but I think diversity amongst the crafting community is something I'd like to see a lot more of in MMOs in general.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 10:54AM MrsAngelD said

Sounds good to me, Crafting should be about what you can craft, not the materials it takes too craft.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:26AM Tanek said

@MrsAngelD That seems to be the gist of it.

My question, though, comes from how the recipes are discovered. From the description, it seems just placing the items in the craft panel will show you if it makes a valid result. You don't actually have to *use* the items, so there would be no risk to sitting there all day and trying random combinations.

This is great for the individual since you don't have to suffer for failed or invalid combos, but when it comes to crafting, I wonder how long it will take for all recipes to be discovered and how rare they will be.

With very little information to go on, though, I'll need to see the system in play before having anything other than wispy speculation.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:27AM Tanek said

er...that was meant to be a reply to Apakal. I zigged left when I should have zagged right.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:05AM Apakal said

So... Is crafting basically a trial and error process? You just combine random stuff to make items and those created items then get stored as recipes?

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:32AM 10thDoctor said

@Apakal

Seems that way, yes. You place items up on the workbench of whatever type you are at and if they can be made into something the plan for that will be 'discovered'. Least that's how I read it with the information given in the blog so far.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:22AM Channel84 said

Interesting "discover" crafting feature.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:41AM DarkWalker said

@Channel84
Need to see if it will be possible to just get a bunch of materials, a list of "discoveries" from the internet, and unlock anything that is not a rare drop.
BTW, I would like to see crafting diversity not in gear potency, but in gear appearance. I would love to see players always able to craft the best gear, stat wise, but with a choice of how it will look, with players having different looks available.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 11:43AM DarkWalker said

@DarkWalker
BTW, if what I described above was true, I would probably craft a set of the highest gear I could with the most newbie look, just to catch people unaware :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 12:56PM Apakal said

@DarkWalker
Transmutation Stones will allow you to combine the appearance of an item with the stats of another item.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 2:21AM Averice said

@Channel84 Rather pointless feature honestly. Data mining will ruin any sort of exclusive recipes. Not to mention just fan sites in general. I hope they didn't spend too much time trying to perfect this system, waste of time if they did.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 12:16PM Kozuu said

Oh man... Cooking... YES!

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:07PM (Unverified) said

I was really hoping for something a little more complex. I like the idea of discovery but something like how WoW does it. If you make an iron broadsword then you should ‘discover’ how to make a steel one. They could lock out certain items by requiring completion of quest. For example the recipe for a flamberge could require that you help a certain npc but once you have it you can ‘discover’ how to make it with all the different materials. I’m assuming of course that better materials means a better product.
Also I was hoping that items would be broken into part and that each part could be customized. Swords have handles and blades. Maybe the handle could be made from gold and have an optional gem slot. The blade could be made from electrum and have and optional inscription. Point is more decisions equal more customization and that’s a good thing.
Anyway, I hope the system isn’t as simple as it sound because right now it sounds boring.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:18PM OzzyB said

Good to see GW2 adopting a more involved crafting system.
I just hope quest and mission don't reward players too often with armour and weapons making crafters useless early game. I would prefer monetary rewards to help stimulate the crafting market.

Making crafting items consumables where they can get destroyed or need repairing ( % of repair costs goes back to original crafter) could also make things more interesting.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:24PM OzzyB said

Good to see GW2 adopting a more involved crafting system.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014