Posted: Mar 8th 2011 10:49PM Space Cobra said

Wow, (and not the MMO, the "I am shocked" meaning!)

Wow!

I keep forgetting that this game is still out there and is still not dead, lo these many years. I never played it, but many told me of initial troubles after it launched.

I still wonder if the game is active enough and fun or any good? It's still p2p?

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 12:13AM PiOmega said

Played it, it was actually pretty fun, almost as fun as PS back in the day. But this was the only mmo that I quit over billing issues. 3 weeks sending emails, support tickets and finally public post in their forums trying to contact them about their misbilling that they would not reply to me about. Gave up on the $15 overcharge in the end, just moved on, still had PS to play (back before SOE killed that). So still around, eh?

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 5:11AM oddshrub said

Lotta fond memories of this game, frankly one of the better MMOs ever made. I think I first quit around the time computers stopped having that old joystick port because it was impossible to fly planes without one and I didn't really feel like buying a new joystick just for WWIIO.

Went back a few years later and did the whole infantry/tank stuff with a few friends and ended up quitting when/because they did.

Honestly though, it's a really old indie game and it feels like one and in this day and age paying15$ a month for that just feels expensive to me. Then again, if you're into MMOFPS's with realism and litteraly 100's of players fighting each other in single battles it's probably your only option and I'm happy to see it's still around.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 7:29AM Dread said

I go back from time to time, its still one of the best combined arms games ever made - period. It also has the largest map of ANY MMO, all done on a single shard. Granted, it only has a few thousand people playing it so 98% of the map is deserted BUT you can fly at over 400 clicks an hour (just a tad faster than a flying griffon) from England, to Germany and back into Antwerp in just over an hour real time.

Yes, the graphics are dated, even with this patch but the gameplay and teamwork is awesome, always has been. I think if they went F2P, even if it was just for Infantry play you'd see 10's of thousands of people jumping onboard and really making it something. Don't know why they don't.

I stop playing after a few months because I get bored with FPS's easily. I go back to it, and stay in touch with the game because of the mates I've met and played the game with over the last decade. It is a pretty awesome community, mainly older players and you avoid all the Chuck Norris Barrens chatting crap you get in most other games.

If you like MMO's with real actual tactics and teamwork, and FPS combat on a grand scale instead of pissy little maps with only a handful of players then give it a go. You won't regret it......just don't go thinking you can waltz down the middle of a road or into a clear space without getting zapped inside of 3 seconds......and you can't bunnyhop either ;)

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:12PM (Unverified) said

@Dread They actually did start letting people have free to play accounts restricted to rifleman and smg roles, so spread the word! :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 7:50AM Schmo1 said

Ive been playing it since day one. Graphically, the game looks old, but it more then makes up for it in realistic damage/ballistic models and its focus on team play.

It has a pretty mean learning curve because of the size of the map, survival rates for newbs is low, and it doesn't play like the typical twitchy FPS (run/jump/shoot/repeat). Using real-world infantry/armor/air tactics actually matter in WWIIOL.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 9:36AM arborhawk said

I also play off and on. This is one of my favorite MMO's. I have so many good memories of this game. Think I will be returning soon :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 1:11PM (Unverified) said

Truely the best FPS game I've ever played. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, as it certainly is no CoD/BF "shoebox shooter" as I call them, but if you like realism or military sims, this game is awesome.

For those wondering, there is still plenty of activity in this game. If older graphics don't bother you and you're all about gameplay, you should definitely check out the free trial on this one. As already mentioned though, be ready for a bit of a learning curve, but the community is quite helpful to new players I've found.

And if the game winds up not being worth a reoccurring monthly sub, they let you play for free and restrict you to being a rifleman or smg user. :) It was totally worth it for me, I just bought the game and a subscription package a couple weeks ago. Never before have I experienced this level of teamwork and coordination in a video game...and I haven't even joined a squad (guild) yet!

P.S. Thanks for the WWIIOL coverage, Jef, you're the man!

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 2:32PM Zombie Jesus said

Ah I have fond memories of this game. Had a buggy problematic launch but they worked hard on it.

But was still fun non the less, they turned a glitchy mess into something playable and it offered many memorable things.

Like the time I shot down a Fockewulf that was strafing a town with a well placed pistol shot through the cockpit.

Or dive bombing battleships in a Stuka at a steep angle to try and give your bombs the most impact.

Holding off an attack of the last radio of a town with Bren and two other riflemen while you wait for backup to arrive to take it back.

Trudging through the farmlands and bushes to take out a FB, stopping and going prone every time you heard a shot in the distance because you were halfway to the enemies FB and didn't want to make the 20 minute walk again from dying.

Ah good times, good times.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 8:16PM mmogaddict said

They need to lower the sub fee or add some low level tanks to the F2P accounts.

If they won't then we'll just wait for Planetside Next which is due out this year anyway.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 8:35PM (Unverified) said

@mmogaddict Planetside was so inferior to WW2O, and I seriously doubt PSNext will even scratch the surface. SOE proved that they don't know what to do to maintain a successful MMOFPS when they ignored their PS customer advice and ran that game into the dirt.

Have fun in PSNext though lol.

Posted: Mar 10th 2011 7:37PM PiOmega said

@(Unverified) "they ignored their PS customer advice and ran that game into the dirt."

hah yeah, which is why I won't be playing psnxt, or any SOE title, I don't need the abuse. I've noticed that most of the cheerleader squads for psnxt never even played ps before. But PS was better than wwiiol, I don't think anyone cares though, I sure don't *yawn*. At least SOE never robbed me. *shrugs*