Posted: Mar 8th 2011 2:22PM Irem said

I'm very happy about this.

Some people are inevitably going to say that it's a step toward dumbing down the game, but I think it strikes a good balance between giving players choices and adding so much variation that it makes it very hard to figure out what's actually good unless you're the type that likes to play with a spreadsheet and calculator at hand. Between this and traits it looks like there's a lot of space for customization without much bloat.

I am not the spreadsheet and calculator type. I'm sure there'll be plenty here for those people to play with, but I'm mostly just relieved that this game might actually not devolve into Contradictory Opinions Online.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 2:53PM Apakal said

I always enjoyed theorycrafting in WoW, but it started to get real stupid before they removed Armor Pen and it was very restrictive. Either you did it one way or you were doing it wrong.

I very much like the mentality they're taking here and facilitating player experimentation. I loved playing crazy builds in Diablo II and I've been waiting for a game to bring back that sort of creativity for a long time.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 3:01PM RiskbreakerRiot said

I am not a big fan of customizing my character's stats. This makes it possible to mess up your character, causing a stat reset to be necessary.

Simple is probably better. I am glad ArenaNet is working this all out before release.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 3:09PM Xaviez said

• 1 heart
I must say that this is the first piece of info on GW2 that I really do NOT like (bar the poor voiceacting, that I can live with though).
One of the huge advantages to GW1 in my opinion was that gear was not a limiter for whether or not you could log on and have fun with your friends. Max stat gear was easy to obtain and I still had a lot of incentive to farm for new armor cos I wanted a specific skin.
Here's me hoping that Anet doesn't turn GW2 into a gear treadmill like WoW, my biggest caveat with WoW.........
Please Anet, pretty please :(

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 4:28PM Irem said

@Xaviez
Based on the information they've given on progression and loot, I really can't see them choosing to go in that direction. But even if they do have that style of gear progression, there's really no way for people to keep you out of most content. You can run with anybody, so you're no longer depending on a group of people to look you over, make an arbitrary judgment on your gear or playstyle, and shut you out; nobody can kick you out of a dynamic event and dungeons are only 5 players.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 3:32PM Vargos said

While I like the idea of simplified stats on a character, I worry about having an increased armor option (Toughness) without a stat to reduce magic damage taken as well. Unless, of course, armor will mitigate magic damage as well. They seemed to account for it in their previous iteration, but now dropped it and I'm curious as to why. If we can't have the option to mitigate magic damage received, you'll see a lot more overpowered magic builds in PvP. Especially if any armor class has access to the Toughness stat as well. Now, if magic resistance is rolled into Toughness, then I'm totally on board. I always hated trying to balance armor & resistance on a defensive class/build as two separate item stats.

On the other hand, if they're trying to build a game without tanks or healers, why introduce a strictly defensive stat in the first place? As a player who prefers playing healer classes, why can't I keep the stat that boosts my mana pool so I can endlessly spam heals without worrying about damage output?

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 3:52PM Xaviez said

@Vargos They pretty much answered your question in the blogpost if you checked that out. It's letting players decide through their combination of stats whether they wanna be a all out glasscannon powerhouse or go for some more defensive stats and thus deal less damage but can sustain for longer.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 4:22PM Irem said

@Vargos
I think it's very likely that armor will mitigate both physical and magical damage. The same things are still there, they just consolidated them.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 3:46PM SaintV said

• Half a heart
Pretty much dumbing it down for the masses but in all honesty it seems like the best way to do this.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 5:32PM Alex Oglitchkin said

I miss the days of letting us allocate our own stats to build the type of character we want. Giving us stats just because we leveled is just cookie cutting your character and becomes boring seeing the same type of char. It also makes PVP 100x better letting you decide your stats not knowing what type of person you are fighting. I was never gonna play GW2, but with more and more info coming out about gear and the stats I am beginning to change my mind.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 5:35PM kgptzac said

not really too much a dumb down compare to the original gw's skill points system. I think most players would like to the skill bar building for the combinatorial fun. though not wishing for a gear-centric system like wow is, there should be more inventive to get new armourother than just the looks

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 6:43PM Dumac said

I wish they'd get rid of the character attributes altogether. It always bugs me when the effectiveness of your own abilities depend on things that are invisible to you, especially in pvp. GW1 was very good here, each profession has its base armor value but beyond that, you can be confident that your abilities will do what their description says they do with no additional mitigation stats trolling you.

Though they simplified it greatly, might be ok. But i don't know, traits seem enough.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 7:34PM Irem said

@Dumac
Stat allocation is not my favorite thing in the world, but there are a lot of people who absolutely love it. Simplified like this, I can see wanting to play with it, because it's not so complex that success can hinge on some weird formula (hopefully), but still gives you the opportunity to shuffle stats around without needing to rely on gear for it.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 7:47PM agitatedandroid said

I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out come release. I've always enjoyed the theorycrafting side of MMOs but there are times when I'd like to just look at a stat and say, "yep, that will absolutely be a better item" rather than breaking out the slide rule to determine if a +wisdom of 4 was better or worse than just a straight +10 to spell power.

Ultimately I'll agree with some of the other comments that I don't want to see things devolve into "do you have 540 of stat x? No? Then you can't tank for us". In WoW (BC and Wrath) hitting this or that magic number had become my only goal so that I'd be uncrittable and thus allowed to tank.

Things like having fun became secondary to hitting those magic stats.

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 8:53PM Channel84 said

I hope we can still respec with ease as in gw1. Loving the new stat and attribute system. Also enjoy reading the evolution of it.

Posted: Mar 9th 2011 3:44PM Sabbatai said

Everyone seems intent to call this approach "dumbing it down". Why can't anyone see it for what it REALLY is?

"Funning it up".