Posted: Mar 6th 2011 6:48PM PiOmega said

Great article, exploration is my favorite thing to do in New Eden. Although, I probably would leave the T3 behind, I mean if you are planning to sneak through gate camps as were a t2 cov-ops frigate (ie such as the Buzzard mentioned) is nearly impossible to catch and you don't want to loose your very expensive exploration implants. There is a good article on getting past gate camps, or really how to decloak at gate camps, but reading it you get the idea of how to get past them as well http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2011/02/guide-basic-decloaking.html posted by Ripard Teg who is running in the CSM elections.

As for a starting ship, I prefer the Heron (for Caldari). I have an example loadout of a Heron at my weblog http://omegasunset.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/the-subversive/ and there is a link there for the CCP Games official probing video tutorial at youtube. Sometime I'll post my Buzzard :) Been kinda busy with a project so haven't gotten around to it. Gotta love those Radar sites though :D

Posted: Mar 6th 2011 8:12PM Krelian said

"If you plan to visit nullsec, [...]

Many of the combat sites and hidden military complexes in EVE have locked acceleration gates or keycard passes, access to which will require you to destroy some NPCs. If you're exploring using a trial account, ask the locals for help in accessing these areas. You'll often find players willing to help out".

Shouldn't these be in separate paragraphs ? I know for a fact if someone is neutral and asks for help with something, in nullsec, they are going explode a few seconds later.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 9:24AM ScottishViking said

@Krelian

This. In fact, you could just as easily apply this "don't ask for local help" advice in lowsec...or even certain highsec areas. Maybe I'm being cautious, but I would NEVER ask for help in local, unless it was against like a Sansha invasion! I only ever ask for help from trusted sources, even if it's just a chat room I frequent often. If nobody I know can make it, then I don't do it.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 7:30PM Brendan Drain said

@Krelian If Innominate Nightmare proved anything, it's that even in nullsec, you can still find helpful individuals.

Posted: Mar 6th 2011 10:39PM Jack Kevorkian said

Any joystiq readers willing to take on a noob pilot in their Corp? I was going to wait until I got a few more million SP under my belt before asking but the peeps are cool here...

Really noob I'm only a month in with a focus on trading and missiles atm. But I'm a hell of a team player when asked.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 2:42AM GaaaaaH said

@Jack Kevorkian
there is a specifically massively corp (or is the alliance done?) ingame.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 1:09PM Jack Kevorkian said

@GaaaaaH thanks!

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 7:31PM Brendan Drain said

@Jack Kevorkian Join "Massively" channel ingame

Posted: Mar 6th 2011 11:57PM wfseg said

I love the lore of EVE. Own both novels, and read the short stories that are posted on the main website. Even read the wiki about the wars and history of nullsec alliances.

But I've always been too afraid to go exploring. Ever since I was podded the first time I went into lowsec (implants and all), I was traumatized. That was back when I could only do L2 missions and I wasn't swimming in ISK.

After reading this, though, I feel like exploring. I'll just need to train for covert ops ships, use a jump clone with no implants, and insure my ship. I can always do a few L4 and earn back whatever I lost.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 2:36AM The Minn said

I just resubbed. Just realized I had 40 bucks in paypal credit so I signed up for 3 months. While I study I can level up.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 7:01AM missingpiece said

@The Minn

There is no "leveling" in EVE.... Your achievements in EVE cannot be condensed onto a singular scale. ^^

Posted: Mar 8th 2011 10:13PM The Minn said

sorry to offend the 'elite'. skill up my skills, whatever....you act like i said something sacraligious.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 9:42AM ScottishViking said

I love exploration in EVE, but the fact of the matter is, it's rarely as profitable as doing missions. For every time you nail a great RADAR site, you get 5 dead systems or wormholes way out of your class. And the scanning takes TIME, and can be tedious.

But on the non-utility side of exploration, I agree: EVE is an explorer's paradise. I personally will rarely fly a ship without a covert ops cloak, which means that I'm usually flying Covert Ops, Stealth Bombers, Blockade Runners, and Force Recon ships. This means I get to spend a lot of time cruising systems unseen, which gives me more time to appreciate the visuals and the lore. I really do need to make it to EVE Gate and the first wrecked Titan, though. ;)

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 12:38PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@ScottishViking

No one does exploration anymore. And I can't really see why anyone would want to do missions either when you can easily net ~90M ISK/hour doing sanctums.

EVE PvE is really weak though, prepare to be bored.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 1:41PM ScottishViking said

@SgtBaker1234556

Gee, at least you're not being hyperbolic. "No one"? Well, that's not true...my corp regularly does exploration. And not everyone in game is at the level where they can participate killing Sanctums.

And despite your claim to the contrary, thousands of people enjoy EVE's PvE every day. So feel free to make this article on Exploration a PvE vs. PvP thing, as it seems you've already made up your mind.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 9:47AM Lateris said

Eve University is a great place to learn how to play the game.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 11:07AM Dblade said

There's no real point to exploration though. EVE's systems have little to no difference in graphics or notable points, and it's mostly rat, asteroid, and anomaly differences. You can read the "player driven lore" on forums. Even that is sucky, how many times can you read:

1. Spy disbands alliance by dissolving it.
2. Alliance gets blobbed by big 0.0 power bloc, failcascades.

Seriously, you get more out of reading the novels, or the in-character roleplay on the official forums than playing the game.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 11:58AM Addfwyn said

@Dblade I mostly agree, there are tons of systems but well...it's space, and so therefore it is mostly empty space. I mean, that is to be expected, but there frankly isn't a whole lot to explore.

Unless you mean the game definition of exploration, where you are scanning down anomalies and stuff, though I found that more an exercise in tedium as well, albeit a useful one.

I did like the novels though actually. If there was a coherent story like that in the actual game, I'd probably be in love with it.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 3:08PM Germaximus said

This is my wonderful story about how i got lost in the Eve trial.

Times all planned out, gonna make a real go of the trial and really check the game out.
Played for maybe five or six hours, really enjoying the game. Get offered help by some random player who ends up killing me and unless i start all over im screwed.

Awesome complete waste of time and waste of 14 days still left.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 4:01PM PiOmega said

@SgtBaker1234556
Actually lots of people still do exploration, too many maybe. If I go near Jita, there is visible competition, sites are completed within minutes of spawning. I had to track off to some unknown and uncharted part of the galaxy to lay claim. If you just play to actually work (i.e. farm ISK's) maybe pimp some wookies? oh wait wrong game...

I agree on the broken pvp system however. Well more specifically broken faction warfare system. sad sad sad.

@Germaximus Odd, because I've just been playing about 2 months, and I haven't been killed yet.
btw I hated EVE on my first trial some years ago, though it was badly busted after an upgrade, think it was release of revelations.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014