Posted: Mar 4th 2011 1:51PM Dunraven said

Fantastic article! One of the reasons I keep playing LOTRO is unlike WoW, EQ II or even RIFT LOTRO has a mature friendly community that isn't mean spirited or Jerkish in the slightest, and should one of these dolts show up they are quickly shown the door by the GMs and Mods.

Other companies especially Trion worlds seems to be so afraid to lose even one subscription that they have adopted a anything goes policy.

I will stand by games like LOTRO and STO because despite their subtle flaws you couldn't ask to game with a better group of people.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 8:25PM Addfwyn said

@Dunraven That's the same reason I played FFXI for so long. Sure it had problems like being unable to do ANYTHING if you're not grouping, but that same quality fostered probably the most mature and friendly community I've dealt with, since if you act like a jerk you will basically find yourself unable to play the game at all.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 1:51PM (Unverified) said

Cool my first First! Anyway good column, I am a founder having Beta tested and pre ordered back when game first launched. But I stopped playing after a year, I just did not like paying a fee, I felt like if I didn't play every day I was wasting money. That was in 2008, I came back after the game went F2P and not only were my characters still there but my Guild, Rangers of Arnor Remembered me! Now I can't stop playing,what with all the new content and Skirmishes and the great community still there I'm hooked all over again.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 1:52PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
My mistake someone beat me to first, D'oh!

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 2:04PM Dark Ember said

I have dabbled in other mmos along the way but I always seem to come back LOTRO. I love the friendly and helpfull community and always feel like I am coming home again when playing Lotro.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 2:36PM milkpudding said

Brilliant article!

It nailed all the amazing things about Lotro and why it's still the only MMO out there that I'm willing to subscribe.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 4:30PM Plastic said

I've had a very similar experience with the game. I completely missed Rift beta event 4 because I was too busy enjoying myself in LOTRO. Great game and great community.

Let's hope the increased revenue generated by the F2P model gets us all the way to Mordor.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 6:25PM Innocentte said

I have had a similar experience. I got into the last Rift Beta, and even pre-ordered the game. After playing about 20 hours in the Head-Start, I canceled my subscription. Rift is really nothing more than WoW with a different skin, and a little WAR / EQ2 thrown in for good measure.

I have gone back to LotRO. The world of LotRO is really deep and well constructed. It actually means something to me. And the gameplay in LotRO is varied and broad. The community is also great. Sure there are the usual noobs and sociopaths; but they are quickly reported and ignored. Never to be heard from again.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 7:19PM Dread said

Despite playing WoW, WAR, STO, Fallen Earth, D&D, WW2 Online off and on over the years and now into Rift I still always come home to LOTRO.

Although...I really am enjoying Rift right now....

Posted: Mar 6th 2011 4:58AM raysie34 said

I like lotro but i like rift too must admit though nicer people in lotro mybe fingers crossed rift will settle dow in a month or two to just the people who love it and it may inprove fingers crossed anyway if i remember right was there a bit of a kerfuffle about f2p by the sub community worried it might disrupt the plesant atmosphere that was there? And has ot?

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM