Posted: Mar 4th 2011 9:04AM Dumac said

In small and/or rare doses its ok, but when you start to do it too much, it brings into perspective the wheel of grind that just keeps turning, because you went through all that content, and now you are revisiting but with much more than nostalgia. I think blizzard also gains negativity on this because we all know they CAN afford to make completely new content.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 9:39AM Ohhlaawd said

I'd probably be really excited about getting any new content if I was still playing WoW and still raiding.

I'm on an extended break though, and from the outside this looks like somewhat lazy design.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:52AM Zuato said

It seems pretty lazy to me. The old content was fine. New players could still experience it at appropriate levels if they wanted too and older players could go back and run through it faster for nostalgia sake.

I played two characters to 85 before quitting. There just is a total lack of content for the players that have been playing for ages. Most people we able to get to 85 in a couple of days casually and then were left with dailies, and lots of them. Dailies have always been filler for most games, and the fact that people were down to dailies after a few days of a new expansion is a very bad thing. The new zones also had more quests than it felt necessary. Blizzard packed a lot of quests in them and it was probably too linear. The pacing in Wrath and BC was much better than this, and it didn't feel like such a drag working through those zones like it does in Cata.

With Blizzard the expansions have always had gated raids in that they have them planned for content patches but don't release them until a (mostly) pre-determined time frame.

As far as the changes to the old world go I honestly don't care as do most of the people that have played for ages. It's the same thing with some changes. I also don't think flying was a good idea in the old world if Blizzard really wanted people to see how it changed as most will just fly over it.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:13AM Utakata said

It's seems to me it's "filler content" they used in place of the Firelands tiered stuff they are now not going to be released until 4.2. So in effect ZG/ZA reboots are the "Ruby Sanctum" for this patch. That is not a new tiered instance, but something to do until that content is ready for release.

Furthermore ZG/ZA would be easy to do, because they don't have to put something completely new together while as they had to do for Ruby Sanctum while they where developing Cat...

...so debate is now whether they are getting lazy with content or doing things to better pace their content. Not whether recycling content is a good idea, since many players have asked/beggged for older content to be updated.

Besides we want our raptor and bear mounts back. :)

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:51AM Germaximus said

I never liked the idea of recycled content. The first time i heard of blizzard doing it i was like aww but the first time was with Naxx and i was part of the community that hardly got to experience the instance in its original form.

Theyve done a really good job at recycling the content that became barren and unused.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 12:27PM (Unverified) said

The whole thing for Cata with me was I just kept getting the feeling everything was done to make it easier for the developers not to make it exciting or fun for the players. Then it was passed through the PR department to attach the proper buzz words. "fun and engaging" "involved" etc etc
Recycling content just reinforces that sense I got.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 1:06PM Germaximus said

Cata started good. Instances were a little tougher than they had been since TBC's Nerfalypse and the game went into a major casual direction.

Apparently they were teasing or just didnt realize how bad the casual players are that they are back to nerfing everything again. I dont think it was as bad as it was when Nerfalypse happened to TBC but i havent played since a month after cata came out and dont stay up on all patch notes. :p

On topic: I still think they have done an awesome job when recycling what they have.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 1:30PM Yog said

There's always something to complain about when it comes to WoW haters. Point in fact, the biggest complaint of wow was that they released new content too quickly, making old content obsolete. Their recent reuse of old content was to appease those complaints.

Obviously they don't know the resolve of wow haters.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 2:18PM Bedazzled said

Well it's a catch-22 isn't it when a game becomes as old as WoW?

The client is already massive and it has all the elements you need in it already... so you either add new content which bloats out the client more and people complain or you reuse existing resources with a few minor tweaks and... people complain.

So whatever you do people will complain. But no I've no problem with an MMO reusing now defunct content for other things.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 4:26PM PiOmega said

meh you are using wow as an example though. But if you go to like EQ, EVE, UO or DAoC, people are gong to favor game play over how things look. But yeah sure, the wow players are going to be upset.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 4:52PM socialenemy2007 said

As far as game immersion goes, doing deadmines at 20, and then again at 85, blows. To me it's the easy way out, rehashing old dungeons with new bosses. And if you think blizz totally redesigned it, take a look at the loot. It uses the same exact models as the lvl 15-20 loot. That is just lazy.

Maybe if they added a new wing to the old dungeons like they did with blackrock it would be just fine. Keep players in old world, keep the nostalgia of familiar storylines, without rehashing the same dungeon.

The problem I have with Blizzard expansions, is that they don't release all the content right away. No way in hell i'm gonna sub for 2 years in order to see all the content I paid for in the expansion. I fell for that in BC and Wrath, but at least wrath had a storyline I cared about from WCIII. Cataclysm? Big scary dragon threatens the world? /yawn.

And lastly, The scaling is way off. Tanks went from 40k hp in BIS gear, to 150k HP and will probably push 200k hp right before the next expansion. How are they going to scale next expansion? Will we push 500k hp? Why can't they settle on game mechanics?

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:03PM Aetrix said

"Other players are angry to see the old content turned obsolete in the first place"

Yeah. That.

One of the many reasons I've been bored lately with pretty much any game with a leveling progression system.