Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:09AM Meurik said

FYI, the last of this set of "Featured Episodes" goes live Tomorrow (Saturday). Not next week.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:30AM blackGeisha said

Reduce the instancing by 3/4.

Create a persistent universe where factions fight for territory control (even contain this to just a persistent zone).

Implement more factions (Romulans, Cardassians,etc.), don't try to squeeze them into the existing paradigm.

Do these things, all three, and I will sub again (after 9 months of giving up on the game).

Now, I know my $.02 means jack-sh-- and no one cares, but I thought I'd share it anyways because in my heart of hearts, I want to come back to STO but need some REALLY good reasons.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:33AM blackGeisha said

@blackGeisha

"after 9 months of giving up on the game".

I meant to say it's been 9 months since I last played the game and I wasn't impressed when they did their "We made improvements! Try it now!" trial periods.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 12:31PM darrenkitlor said

@blackGeisha The welcome back weekend was lame this past spring. There really weren't enough changes to justify it.

That said, the new Featured Series has had voice acting for the antagonists and antagonists (instead of just dialogue boxes), career-specific objectives, and some of the best maps in the game.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 3:37PM Tom in VA said

I don't mind the instancing in STO at all; my chief frustration with the game is that so much of that instanced content is repetitive, uninspired, and generic and that one's bridge crew is so mind-numbingly dull.

If other games (I'm looking at you, Guild Wars, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights, etc.) knew how to give henchmen some personality and background, why did Cryptic fail so miserably at it? Star Trek without credible crew members just isn't Star Trek, imo.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 12:13PM dudes said

I distinctively searched the above text for 'free to play' but since it wasn't there forgot to read the other words.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 12:32PM CaffinatedOne said

@blackGeisha

Less instancing+++!

Beyond that, I think that their current strategy to focus on better, more interesting/compelling content for the Feds is the right way to go. Once the Fed experience is solid, then adding other factions might make sense, but before that, having 3+ half-baked factions doesn't really help much.

The persistent war, territory control stuff would be cool, but they need to get the PvE stuff in better shape before too much focus there would be helpful, I'd think.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 12:49PM Lateris said

Are the ground maps any larger? Are there less instances? I haven't played since the first month of release. Would I see a huge difference in terms of content and game play if I returned now?

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 6:39PM RogueEnterprise said

@Lateris
The two aspects you mentioned are essentially unchanged... though in public areas like sector space seem to have more players present, so you see a lot more people when you're zooming in between POIs. However the quality of the missions and a lot of other aspects have gone up dramatically. I'd try giving it another shot.

Posted: Mar 5th 2011 5:32AM Revrant said

...This is really boring, read through it and it's all minor additions, the Foundry system basically means they won't have to develop much.

I really wish they'd stop plopping out new MMOs and start devoting resources to their two content-starved current MMOs.