Posted: Mar 4th 2011 9:26AM Space Cobra said

I know nothing will change because I am posting here and not even the NCSoft forums, but even if I did post there, I doubt they'd change this.

For "many moons" I've been bothered by their attempts to make an all-in-one launcher. I think I'd be bothered in any game. I can't quite explain it but I realize they want to funnel us in one direction and show of other games I may/may not be interested in (personally, I know the hobby well enough to know those games and if I am interested).

I am old-fashioned: One game=One launcher. It's not like I can press a desktop and get a window/menu that starts up my choice of EQ, WoW, or CoH from the same launcher. Maybe this is something that works best for consoles and living room play, but most PC users like a level of separateness in their, even with companies trying to push their other games while you are only interested in one or two.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:06AM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra I actually have to disagree. I started playing Lineage II and then moved to Aion but from time to time playing LII again... The launcher not only keeps me updated on what's going on in LII while I play Aion but also keep all of them updated.

Same can apply to GW and GW2 for them so I guess it makes sense...

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:32AM Caerus said

@Space Cobra

I'm with you, and I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it's because I grew up that way, or maybe it's because I *know* the launcher is taking up memory sitting there (I don't care how small it is, it's non-zero and that's too much) doing nothing. I don't even like Steam, and I miss my little HL lambda shortcuts.

The fact that when I played Aion this launcher repeatedly crashed and bugged out, causing me to have to reinstall the game *twice*, may also be a factor.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:41AM Jef Reahard said

@Space Cobra

Not really a fan of it either tbh. SOE's station launcher is the same way; I'll be using the original stand-alones for SWG and VG until they pry them from my cold, dead hands lol.

No real reason other than get-off-my-lawn syndrome I suppose. I don't need to be shown other games; I know exactly what I want to play and when I want to play it. Ultimately as long as it doesn't affect the gameplay, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:34AM Crabtree said

Hey, you guys remember that all-in-one launcher by that one company? It didn't do very well either. There virtually was no benefit to it what-so-ever, and the company eventually tanked because of it.

I think it was called Steam.

... oh wait.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 10:35AM Crabtree said

@Caerus

You beat me to the Steam reference!

NOOOOOOO!!

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:01AM Daemodand said

I like the new launcher a lot. Faster and more efficient than the old one, it gets me into the game quicker than ever and it respects my choice of browser (unlike the old launcher). Big thumbs up.

Also, the Wisp Aura is really nice (it goes nicely on my KM/EA Brute where it matches the graphics very well).

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 12:24PM (Unverified) said

To be honest, I dislike the new Launcher. Not because of the all in one bit, or the need to use for the Aura either. Instead, I dislike it because it reintroduced an annoying (at least for me) bug that for some reason the old launcher doesn't do. That bug being the old 'No Cursor' bug.

For those of you who don't play CoH, or don't know what I'm talking about, I'll elaborate. It use to be back in the day (last I heard, it was /YEARS/ ago) that certain computers/OS's (Vista being the big one) wouldn't display the mouse cursor when you were playing CoH. That didn't just make it harder to play the game, but also to log into the game (some people back in the day went so far as to claim it was impossible). To fix that, they had to add an extra command to the shortcut for the CoH launcher. That command caused them to get a cursor, but it was an ugly pixilated black and white one that really didn't look right with the rest of the game. While technically this was a 'minor thing', the Devs eventually fixed it.

Unfortunately, that bug is back for some people, including newer players who never had to deal with it before. And in order to fix it, you have to do it through the launcher in a not exactly easy to find 'Extra Command Line' prompt, where you also have to know what the extra command is. Something that most players don't know off the tops of their heads, and they'd have to dig through the forums for a /single/ minor reference to what that command line is by the Devs.

I know, I'm making a big deal out of a minor thing here, but the fact that for /YEARS/ that bug was fixed and it came back simply because of a new launcher makes me worry a bit about what other bugs might end up cropping up (or back up) due to it.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 3:08PM Stormwalker said

The article fails to mention that the wisp aura is just an incentive to use the new launcher now rather than later, because it will become mandatory anyway, and the CoH launcher will be discontinued.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 5:56PM Jeromai said

I'm starting to get tired of the bribery. Shiny reward here, if you do something you may not have wanted to do. Kickass reward there, if you bite the bullet and do something you're not too keen on.

Yes, most MMOs follow this pattern. But the MMOs I like to play also offer alternate paths or activities if you don't feel like following the majority road. CoH just feels like they've started to railroad people recently instead of following their traditional customisation focus.

As for the launcher, I'm not thrilled by it. Yeah, it's faster. From prior experience, it is also buggy.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 7:49PM Averice said

I used to hate all the launcher mess, but after awhile I actually grew to enjoy them okay as hubs.

I always launch the WoW launcher even though I know you can bypass it, just too lazy to bypass it. I'm actually looking forward to their battle.net "launcher" in the future. The problem with the WoW launcher is that it tells you NOTHING. There is no useful information whatsoever on that thing, it's just a splash screen before you can hit "launch".

I use Steam on occasion, but I never like it just sitting there running in the background. What can I say, I don't use their little chat thing so I don't want it open. Why would I use their little chat thing anyway when I play everything windowed and have other chat programs. I like how Steam is a hub though, and like loading Massively, sometimes I like to load Steam to see what's going on. I always play in offline mode any steam games though.

Multi game launchers are fine with me, especially if they actually provide some real information and if they do not need to be open when you're playing the game itself.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 11:51PM Sam not Spam said

I've used the launcher for a while now, and rather like it. I've got Aion, City of Heroes and Guild Wars. Also used to have Dungeon Runners and Exteel. Having one single app to handle all the updating and such is quite nice (like Steam), and if I have to reinstall everything it'll make things a lot more convenient (again, like Steam).

I can understand not liking it, but I think its one of those personal preference things.

Posted: Mar 5th 2011 4:20AM Enaris said

Coercion? That's a pretty major piece of overstatement there. They're updating a functionality. People don't always like the changes, that's pretty much par for the course. Yeah, they're giving a little aura in the process, but that's minor.

It's no more coercion than any other patch or change in game function. You "have" to download the patch and play the changed game. I get that not everyone likes it, and that some have issues with it, but "coercion" is way too strong a term.

Posted: Mar 5th 2011 4:23AM Decados said

Holy Yellow Journalism Batman!

Coercion? Really? Did you just say that NC soft was engaging in coersion?

let's take a peek at the definition of that word. (because I have something appearantly lacking at the Massively offices....a dictionary)

Coercion- forcing of somebody to do something: the use of force or threats to make somebody do something against his or her will

Let's try another....

Coercion is the practice of compelling a person to act by employing threat of force. Often, it involves the use of actual force in order to make the threat credible, but it is the threat of (further) force which brings about the cooperation of the person being coerced. The term usually has a pejorative connotation, implying that such threat or force is unethical.

Hmmm...Let's see. NC soft offers a aura to people who changed over to the new launcher. *looks in the announcement for threats of deactivating people accts who don't get this* Nope..don't see that there. *looks in the announcement for threats of going to people's houses to smash their Garden gnomes8 Nope..not there either.

To the editors of Massively, when one of your 'reporters' turn in an article. Please use a dictionary to actually make sure things are at least based partially on a reality that is tangent to the one that we're in.

Really..coercion?

For the folks who are having technical problems. I'm sure NC soft will get them ironed out. Contrary to popular opinion, it really is in their better interests to make sure people CAN use their software. I'm pretty sure they're not sitting in their cubicles giggling when folks have problems.

For those who ARE having problems. Guess what...the OLD updater STILL WORKS for now. In your City of Heroes directory, look for a program called Old.Cohupdater.exe Click it and you'll be in the game. It does an update to 'downgrade' your client to the old updater comptable, but works just fine. I just tried it. Then just for kicks I used the NEW launcher again, and it worked just fine.

For people who 'just don't want to' use it. Get over it. The problem isn't the launcher, it's your problems with perception. Things change, and things get updated. Please save the vitrol, angst and crying for a REAL problem.

Posted: Mar 5th 2011 4:28AM Peerless Girl said

Coercion? How about I go so far as to say this piece of "journalism" is a total sham, and that anyone who posts such, and implies it *is* a piece of journalism, isn't actually a journalist at all. Doesn't feel very good does it? At least fact-check something for 2 minutes on the CoH forums before you go typing it up into a sensationalist news story. This just brings the whole level of Massively (which..with a few exceptions is difficult to call reputable) down a notch or two.

As a few others have said, the launcher WILL eventually be mandatory, they could've just said "it's changing, deal with it." and not given anyone anything. Then you'd be talking about how they "pulled a fast one" and "hoodwinked" people. Sure, thet probably should've given some warning, a few weeks notice. But they've also been running back-to-back constant events since Winter Event, and likely the Higher Ups said "either this goes out now, or x doesn't happen" or some such, so it had to go now, rather than with i20. They may need it for something they're doing FOR i20 (as implied by the original announcement.

This whole thing just saddens me. Say what you want about the launcher. Dislike it, if you have problems, it's understandable, but this sort of blatant stuff is just..sad.

Posted: Mar 5th 2011 3:00PM Jef Reahard said

@Peerless Girl

Who implied it was a piece of journalism? Certainly not the author.

Posted: Mar 5th 2011 7:19PM Enaris said

@Jef Reahard

Declaiming that you are not a "journalist" is one thing, but that doesn't change the simple fact that your bald statement that NCSoft is being "coercive" is so far over the top it's not even funny. As was quoted before, "coercision' has a certain meaning... and being offered a gift doesn't remotely approach that meaning.

The closest thing to "coercision' that NCSoft is doing is saying "if you don't use this launcher at some point in the near future,you'll be unable to play the game." Now, that at least sounds like a threat... but it's still far from coercision. In fact, that's business as usual for MMOs. It's simply a statement that the game is going to require you to use the most up to date version of the game. There's a name for that... it's called SOP. Aside from times where games don't require that you purchase the most recent expansion to play, they ALWAYS require that you use the most up to date patch.

You don't like Enhancement Diversifcation? Too bad, it's in the game. You don't like the Global Defense Nerf? Too bad, it's in the game. This can be said across the entire genre of MMO's.

Your extremely ill-fitting use of the word "coercive" though implies that NCSoft is doing something unethical. Something which either is not accepted within the industry, or should not be. That frankly, is just plain silly, and I'd be inclined to say you owe NCSoft and Paragon Studios an apology.

People don't like the new launcher. I get that. It's not working for them... I get that too. Those are fair complaints (especially those for whom it isn't working). I trust that NCSoft will address any problems with the system ASAP. Still though, I'm fine with people kvetching about it. That's their right. However, saying that they are being "coercive" is so far out it's not even really funny

Posted: Mar 6th 2011 2:34AM Peerless Girl said

@Jef Reahard

At some point, an MMO or piece of software is going to "require" you to run at least Windows 7 (or Vista maybe..but I wouldn't be surprised if it specifically says 7) at some point as well. Is Microsoft and/or the company releasing said software being "coercive" if they require that? No, it's simply a stated requirement to run the software, just like having x amount of RAM or hard drive space. Is that "coercing" you to purchase more RAM or a bigger Hard Drive? Personally, that sounds like a personal problem to me. I would suggest you do use a dictionary sometime and make sure you know the difference between words like "incentive" and "concercive." It would make you a better "author" (since neither of us thinks you're a journalist).